“Good food, strange atmosphere, overbearing service”
Review of Sobremesa

Sobremesa
Ranked #21 of 377 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: We believe in serving you dishes that more than just delicious, they are something you've never had before and will never have anywhere else. They are new, original, and out of the ordinary because, as an art gallery restaurant, we want you to enjoy not just art that you can see and hear, but taste as well. #algodiferente #sobremesa
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The menu is creative, and the food is quite good-- the unusual flavor combinations work. The atmosphere is a little odd-- full of the owner's art. The owner himself is the primary staff (not sure if he also cooks, but he served the tables while we were there). This would have been fine (perhaps even great!), but we were the only people in the restaurant and received allllll of his attention. We had a hard time carrying on our own conversation.

2  Thank kati17
IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Sorry about that. We'd had one table that complained I wasn't friendly enough, so I guess I overcompensated. It won't happen again. And only a few of the paintings are mine. The rest are by emerging Guatemalan artists that we are helping to get their start.

There are newer reviews for Sobremesa

Reviewed October 12, 2011

We fel in love with Antigua after our last year vacation here. We brought friends for a weekend this time to show them this beautiful town, where we just wanted to hang out.
I had a list of places to go to and Sobremesa was one of them. The ambience of the place was very cozy and the food was delicious. For desert, you must try the exotic icecreams (wasabi/fig was my favourite). There is an interesting story behind each of the paitings displayed on the wall as we learned it from the owner, who is also an artist and painted most of the arts. The staff really cares about the guests. Because we loved the icecreams so much, the owner delivered them himself to our hotel before we left for the airport!

Thank you very much! We're so glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed October 11, 2011

My boyfriend and friend were both hankering for a good steak while in Antigua, and Alex and crew did not disappoint! Fantastic flavor selections, great wine, and a welcoming relaxed atmosphere really made this a true treat. Please do not pay attention to the three reviews below, they are obviously from the same group of people and I am so glad that I overlooked these and went to sobremesa... totally worth it! Thanks Alex!

Thank you very much! We really enjoyed having you and will definitely stop by your place when we come to the lake!

Reviewed October 8, 2011

The menu is suppose to be intriging but it was confusing. Portions were generous, wine choice very limited, the food was good but our waiter thought he was funnier then he was. Althougth the list of ice cream may seem scruptious, the flavor lacked taste. When one of the group expressed displeasure in the taste, our oh so funny waiter appeared to become rather annoyed and showed his displeasure by tossing the replacement ice cream on the table infront of her and an apology was absent as well. No need to go back to this place as they are other restaurants in the area with smiling and gracious waiters. Cafe Sky style a waiter who thanked us and invited us to return showing true appreciation for our visit.

1  Thank jrnokes
IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2011

Please remember before condemning me that I left the restaurant twice (while it was raining, no less) to go to the ice cream shop to bring you dessert. If that's bad service, I can't imagine what good service is. I returned out of breath from running, and wet, and put your ice cream down in a hurry. I am sorry you took that to be "ballistic" and "psychotic" but that is a very harsh and unfair statement. You all knew that your tables were reserved for another party that was due to arrive at any moment. I was far from ballistic or psychotic, and you should be ashamed of yourselves for saying that. Thank God one of my more satisfied customers read that and came to tell me so I could respond.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

Although the food was good, it took forever to feed our table of nine. Some of us were done before the rest got their meals.... Server/owner is a bit over the top.... And not the most friendly when it comes to cater to customers!!!! He also threw the ice cream dessert cup on the table like he couldn t be bothered with me.
I work in the service industry and wasn t impressed!!!!

1  Thank RBnat