“Warm & friendly staff, and beautiful rooms.”
Review of D'Leyenda Hotel

D'Leyenda Hotel
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
South Burlington, Vermont
“Warm & friendly staff, and beautiful rooms.”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Perfect location almost right next to the central park. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and open to a garden. I enjoyed a nice continental breakfast every morning on the rooftop which has a beautiful view of the volcano, Agua. The staff was friendly and helpful and very patient with my limited spanish. I had to leave at 5am a couple of mornings and found breakfast to go ready for me as I was leaving. This is a beautiful hotel that can't be beat for the price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Budapest
Reviewed February 22, 2011

We spent 5 days in Antigua and stayed at this hotel in early February. It is located right next to the main square, the rooms are well equipped, comfortable and clean. The hotel is safe, it has a beautiful garden, you can eat and sunbathe on the roof. While breakfast there was a wonderful view of the Agua volcano. They have well-organized excursions. The staff is very friendly, attentive and helpful. Mainly Maria, who spoke English. I send her my best wishes. Antigua is safe, you should make an individual sightseeing. Not to miss the La Recolleccion, it is the nicest ruin there. It is worth to go shopping to Chichincastenago and climb the Pacaya volcano, which is about 2 hours to get to the top. Acatenango volcano is very difficult to climb, it is approx. 7-8 hours up and 4 hours down. Antigua is the nicest city in the world. I recommend to visit there and stay at the D'Leyenda Hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Travellee3
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I was here as part of a medical mission but didn't want to stay at the group hotel as that one is very noisy. So using TripAdvisor, I located the D'Leyenda. First, they are remarkably quick at returning e-mails and great at following up. I also loved the Christmas e-card I was sent. I already felt like they knew me before I arrived. Once there all the attention to details makes this an incredibly special place. I was there over Valentine's Day and returned from a long busy day in a village clinic to find a rose on my bed and candy on the nightstand. Everyone treated me so well, I felt so special. It was amazing to have a tv and wifi in the room and for the first time ever in Antigua (and this is my 7th time), I had really hot water. Wow.

The room and entire small courtyard and rooftop terrace areas are lovely but can be a bit noisy. And that would be my only negative comment. It can't be helped as it is the design of the hotel to have the window face the courtyard. And it only occurred over the weekend due to the restaurant/nightblub next door and one evening due to some loud hotel guests and that for only a very short time. I am sure if they had continued to be noisy, one of the on the spot staff would have been there to ask them nicely to quiet down. And compared to other hotels I have stayed at in Antigua, it was very, very quiet.

I know I will be back in Antigua and back at the D'Leyenda. It is really wonderful to feel so cared for. Thank you Carmen, Leonardo and all of you at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2011

My husband and I did not have a reservation for this hotel. When we got there, the receptionist greet it us with a smile and had confirmed that had accomodations for one night. It was very close to town, right off the man square close to restaurants , bars and town highlights. The room was very nice and it had a charming courtyard. We had breakfast in the terrace with gorgeous views. I would highly recommed this hotel !!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We had the great fortune of staying in this lovely boutique hotel for two weeks of the month we spent in Antigua. Having stayed in and seen numerous hotels in Antigua, D'Leyenda is hands down the highlight. The owners and staff are amazing, friendlier than your favourite auntie, and made you feel welcome right away. The rooms are elegantly decorated and spacious and there are a number of common areas within the hotel which make all the difference when you're staying somewhere for more than just a night. Our favourite was the roof terrace where breakfasts (included) at sunrise were a special way to start the day and wine'o'clock at sunset (provided at a minimal extra cost) was the perfect way to finish. On the terrace there is even a spa that can be booked in advance (at no extra charge) and they will deliver you slippers and robes to your room and make sure that it's freshly filled and ready for you. We loved staying at D'Leyenda and would highly recommend it; it is incredible value for money. Bear in mind that there are only 6 rooms and they are usually very busy on the weekends, particularly Saturday night, so book early!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed February 16, 2011

My goodness!!
D'Leyenda melted our hearts!!

We almost didn't stay at D'Leyenda bc we only had one night in Antigua, and were getting up EARLY to climb Volcan Acatenango the next day. But when we called to cancel our stay, sweet Carmen (hotel owner) told us that they had upgraded our room bc of vacancy and they were so looking forward to our arrival- they were incredibly sweet from the day I made the reservation online in all their correspondence with me, so I told Carmen, "no problem- we'd be there tomorrow night!"

Upon arriving in the evening on a Thursday in Antigua, we were graciously and enthusiastically greeted by Leonardo at D'Leyenda. He must be the sweetest man alive. My goodness- a small lil' guy, he so sweetly showed us to our room, gave us warm delicious Guatemalan coffee, and showed us around. My cousin and I assumed we'd miss the included breakfast bc we were to leave at 5:45 a.m. the next day for our Volcano hike, but as soon as Leonardo heard we were climbing the volcano (and before we ever even mentioned breakfast) he told us he'd get up at 5 himself, give us a wake up call and pack us breakfast to go. Are you kidding me?? What a sweet blessing this hotel was!!

We ran to the adorable rooftop terrace with our coffee and soaked in the sights and sounds of gorgeous Antigua as dusk turned to night. A couple came upstairs to enjoy the rooftop jacuzzi, so we excused ourselves to walk around the streets- Antigua is a dream!! And D'Leyenda is PERFECTLY located on the square of Parque Central. It couldn't be more perfectly placed.

So anyone who stays here is within walking distance of Antigua's best cafes, restaurants, shops and sights.

Not only did Leonardo graciously wake us and feed us to send us off in the a.m., he graciously held our luggage locked up all day for our long 8 hour hike. We returned to the gated hotel (very safe) after 5p.m. (long after we should have checked out) and picked up our things and enjoyed some delicious coffee while we waited for our ride to the next spot. Oh, and they graciously unlocked a bathroom for us to clean off the volcanic ash that covered us from head to toe- EXCELLENT service!!

Carmen- Krisy and I LOVED talking to you for a few minutes before we went off with our friend Jaime with Agua Viva- you're a gorgeous woman, and your hotel is a blessing to all who come through. Thanks for having us and for convincing us to come after all!!

For all who stay- the value is just perfect!! Not too cheap, but not overpriced at all... a charming wonder for a great value!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Zebulon, North Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This is a place of complete comfort in the most possible central location in Antigua. Staff are ultimately friendly and helpful. Comfort of the rooms and the common areas are amazing. An absolute gem and worth every penny or Quetzal paid.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple