“A favourite in decline”

Cuisines: Central American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 14, 2014

First I've been eating here on and off for 20 years. It used to be really busy in years gone by which is why I've always excused the slow service. Now, with it being nearly empty on my last visit all of the wait staff were sitting at a table and chatting away.

The banana and milk licuado is always excellent and my favourite. The other fruit licuados are hit and miss depending on the fruit they use. Sometimes the papaya licuado is excellent and sometimes it is very bland. The coffee is much better now than it was years ago. Mini pizzas are usually very good.

The bakery in entrance has excellent banana bread.

The roast beef sandwich on my last visit was so dry. Dry roast beef between 2 dry pieces of toast. That's all. I had to load it up with mayo and mustard to eat it. That was the first and only time I'll be ordering that one. They also messed up my order. I requested the salad to accompany the sandwich and they brought the potato chips.

There is a lot more competition in Antigua now than 10-15 years ago and it seems to have taken a toll on them. Their menu is virtually identical as it was 20 years ago. Time to add/change a few things I would think.

The best reason to visit is that you know the food will be safe to eat.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

The baked goods are to die for!! And the cappuchino is the best in Antigua. Nearby many of the best (though expensive) shops. A great little place for relaxing.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have eaten here with each return to Antigua and have never been disappointed. Fair price for the lunch special, drank the juice with ice with no problem, good service, beautiful courtyard.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Fresh squeezed orange juice, liquid gold. Cafe con leche, each piping hot! Superb variety of breakfast items, French toast with two choices of bread, with raisins or not, huge bowl of cut tropical fruit, typical Guatemalan breakfast, black beans, eggs your choice, toasted English muffins. ( too many beans for my taste). Yogurt with fruit and granola is another generous option. The portions are large, we will share plates tomorrow morning as we return to Doña Luisa's. The place is open air so the owner offered to move us to a warmer spot, but we were happy where we were, all nine of us.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you were going to have breakfast in Antigua, this is the place I would suggest. The Tenedor is pretty but the food is on par with cafeteria food. Doña Luisa is pretty good. It's hard to mess up breakfast, but it's reasonably priced, has a good atmosphere, and it's close to the main square.