“Dona Luisa's: A Local Favorite”

Dona Luisa Xicoteneatl
Ranked #35 of 370 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Central American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Plattsburgh, New York
“Dona Luisa's: A Local Favorite”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Thanks to friends who live here in Antigua, I found Dona Luisa's. The three of us had dinner there this evening along with a dining room filled with other local Guatemaltecos. Just the kind of place I hope to discover when I travel. The food is simple, but very satisfying. As the restaurant is just two blocks off the central plaza on fourth street, it is easy and quick to get to if you're staying anywhere close to downtown. Prices are unbelievable! My hearty ensalada taco Guatemalteca cost only 26Q. A large bowl of sopa vegetariana was a mere 17Q. They also now serve a chili con carne made from soy (19Q). An ice cold Gallo will only run you 15Q. Three of us ate for under $20US (including tip). Service was friendly and attentive. The breakfast dishes of traditional Guatemalean egg dishes are served all day long. Get a block away from all the tourist restaurants in the center of Antigua and enjoy a tasty, breakfast, lunch or dinner at Dona Luisa's. Downstairs you'll also enjoy the bakery. The smell of freshly baked breads and rolls that waft upstairs to the dinning room only stimulate the taste buds even more. Having had their olive bread just the night before, I now look foreward to a few breakfast treats later this week.

• Visited August 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
State of Sao Paulo
“Delicious sandwich and bread”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stopped by to have a snack and was not disappointed. The roasted beef sandwich was delicious. The smell fro. The bakery was killing me. I ended up buying a wonderful banana bread, whcih I strongly recommend.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Traveler4Fun_99
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Just the same...just as good!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband ate here 25 years ago in the same room we have now frequented many times. He said it is just as great as then. The breakfast and lunch is high quality every time. I especially recommend the fruit, granola and yogurt. So fresh and homemade. I am sure we will be there again before we leave. The price is perfect as well!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Antioquia24
Vaduz, Liechtenstein
“Stick to the bakery”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Had dinner tonight.
The baked potatoes were quite bland: I understand that they were not baked on the spot ( it would have taken hours, even by Guatemala standards...)but they were not thoroughly re-heated and the bacon must have been left from the morning breakfast time as it was cold and rock solid, which is just lazy. Frying some bacon can't take more than a few minutes! Their banana bread from the shop, though, was excellent. So, I wouldn't bother with the cafè and just stick to the bakery.

• Visited July 2012
Miami, Florida
“Good for coffee and pastry but do your math.”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I like to go here when I am in Antigua for a coffee and a dessert for my mid-afternoon break. The pastry is always fresh and flavorful. This past week a friend and I went and had an espresso coffee, bottle of water and a shake. As you can see in the picture they give you a menu and a slip of paper and you mark on the paper how many of each item that you want. When the waitress brought the check the total was not correct and we were overcharged by 34 Quetzales. It was my friend who noticed it and the waitress was apologetic and redid the math so the total was correct. They didn't seem particularly busy and my friend thought she was hoping that this "gringo" either wouldn't notice or wouldn't say anything and would simply pay that amount. I don't like to think this of people so you decide for yourselves and no matter where you eat - check the math when you get your check!

• Visited July 2012