“An oasis in the hustle and bustle of Antigua - very unique design!”
Review of Hotel Cirilo

and 1 more site!
Hotel Cirilo
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed March 15, 2011

We were so impressed with the design of this hotel built around the ruins of an old church. It was very peaceful, personalized service, great food and fantastic staff. We had the room with a loft for a third person. It was very clean and comfortable - bathroom facilities were top-notch. They provided a large bottle of water daily and wood for use in the fireplace. We highly recommend this hotel!!

2  Thank Hans050

Reviewed March 14, 2011

We loved our stay at Hotel Cirilo. We felt like guests in a private home. Service was impeccable. Highly recommended. Within walking distance to restaurants in Antigua. Stayed 6 nights and hated to leave!

1  Thank casper0401
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This hotel blew our socks off! Having read all of the fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor, we expected a great hotel, but we weren't ready for how wonderful this place truly is...

After arriving from Guatemala City, the staff was very cordial and held our luggage while we explored the city. It is approximately a 5 to 10 minute walk from the hotel to the city center. The distance is both good and bad - There is less noise and distractions being a little further from the city, but you do have to make a brief walk to get downtown for food or shopping.

The grounds of the hotel are immaculate. It has a small pool and some poolside tables. There is a restaurant as well - There are complimentary breakfasts included. The food is fabulous.

The rooms are quiet and well-appointed. They feature cathedral-esque ceilings and our room has a fireplace in it, as well as a safe. The decor definitely has a Guatemalan vibe to it. Our bed was very comfortable.

All in all, we are amazed by the quality of this cute little hotel in Antigua. We will definitely be returning to La Cirilo next time we stay in Antigua.

2  Thank CarrieKennedy
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I just returned from a long weekend in Antigua Guatemala. First, let me say that I travel more than most people and hold top status with a few major hotel programs. In short this place is a MUST on your choice of hotels if you travel to Antigua. I usually pick things apart and analyze them for their shortcomings but I didn’t need to do that here.

The owner, Ricardo, and his staff made me feel welcome and “like family” just as many previous posters have mentioned. The property is built amidst the ruins of a Church from the 1700’s. The grounds are impeccable; the staff takes pride in what they do. I witnessed a groundskeeper clipping the grass in the courtyard by hand! The beds are comfortable; the rooms are modern and spacious and provide the amenities you would expect from any world-class boutique hotel. The hotel is practically new – and tastefully decorated with interesting art and very clean. I even had a fireplace for when the nights got a bit too cool.

The location is not smack in the middle of the central park, but I would add that as a large bonus. The property is beautiful and serene, a short walk to things but away from the hustle and bustle of noisy street and nightlife. My first night there I was so impressed with the grounds that I just had to enjoy some time reading on the rooftop terrace. Upon walking upstairs I was greeted by a friendly staff member who brought fresh clean cushions for the iron chair for me. She brought me a drink and a wireless “doorbell” type button to push if I should require additional service.

Ricardo is amazing. I’m a bit particular and since this was my first trip to Guatemala I had many questions and wanted his assistance in booking a car service, private guide for Volcano Pacaya, and two massages. He went out of his way to help make sure my trip was the best possible. The breakfast and food service was great, with delicious cut fruit with great breads and food made to order.

As many have heard, you get what you pay for. Hotel Cirilo price is right too. For the quality and relativity to my other world travels it’s a Steal! I will surely be back and will not think of staying anywhere else but the Hotel Cirilo.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank mattinarlington
Reviewed February 10, 2011

My girlfriend and I arrived really tired and hungry after a strenuous journey, quite late at night. In fact too late to eat out, which at first seemed a problem. Owner Ricardo however had other ideas, and offered, and then personally cooked a fantastic simple meal that really hit the spot. Over the next couple of days this level of service continued, until, by the time we left it felt like leaving a friends home, rather than a hotel.

If only all my friends had homes like this one however! Hotel Cirilo is visually absolutely stunning, sympathetically constructed around the ruins of an old church, destroyed by the big earthquake of 1773. It's an oasis of calm, beautifully designed, and unobtrusively run. The breakfasts, included in our room rate, were cooked to order and were absolutely delicious. More to the point, Ricardo seemed to pop up with advice and help, whether it was booking onward flights or just a ride into town, every time we needed it, almost like magic. I really can't stress how genuine the guy is, and how at home he made us feel.

We have 'flashpacked' around a lot of the world over the last 5 years or so, and Hotel Cirilo would be in my top 3 boutique hotels anywhere, let alone in Antigua. If it was situated in Europe you'd be lucky to get a night here for less than $300.

Yes, it's slightly out of the centre of a very compact town, but we didn't feel that this detracted from our great experience here. The walk is easy, and besides, cabs are cheap and plentiful. Stay here soon if you get the chance, before Ricardo tires of providing such unfailing, intuitive service, because he really is too good to be true.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jman66
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Our stay at Hotel Cirilo was absolutely fantastic! This hotel is gorgeous! The rooms are so beautiful and spacious, and each has a fireplace. The owners, Ricardo and Giovanni, were perfect hosts and catered to our every whim. Christmas night we got back about 8:45 pm tired and hungry after our day at Pacaya Volcano. Giovanni and the kitchen staff went out of their way and offered to make us dinner at that late hour! They have an extensive menu and every meal we ate was delicious. I won't stay anywhere else when visiting Antigua from now on! You will feel like you are in the lap of luxury during your entire stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2011

The rooms and common areas are spacious and elegantly decorated. The grounds aren't huge, but they are beautifully landscaped. My favorite part about the day was having breakfast in the dining room. In the mornings the sun floods in through the floor-to-ceiling windows. The portions, selection and quality of the food is great, too.

Ricardo provided incredible personal service. When we asked him to call for a taxi, he would offer to drive us in his personal car instead. When my husband and I had to leave at 4 am for a day trip to Lake Atitlan, he immediately offered to have someone pack us bag lunches for the 3 hour drive. He is a very attentive and gracious host/matire'd/concierge/city guide and makes this place worth every penny.

This hotel has all the charm and personal attention of a five-star resort. We enjoyed our stay here immensely. I would highly recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Antigua.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple