“If you like to cook - you will love this class”

El Frijol Feliz Cooking School
Book In Advance
More Info
$49.00*
and up
Hands-on Cooking Class in Antigua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take home the rich culture of Guatemala by learning how to prepare the local cuisine at Antigua's premier cooking school! Begin with a personalized, hands-on class with local chefs and then enjoy your meal in our beautiful dining room or patio. Spanish to English translators are provided, and complimentary wine, beer, or soda are served during the class.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Greater NY
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“If you like to cook - you will love this class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I enjoy cooking at home …so it wasn't a stretch for me to spend 3 hours cooking while on vacation. I made the Pepian, traditional rice, chiliqulas (with a local root vegetable instead of tortillas), traditional rice and rellenitos (oh, and tortillas, which I could not get the hang of!) It was quite possibly possibly the best meal I have ever made. Of course that could be because the experience was so special. My instructor did not speak English, but we communicated with a basic understanding of Spanish (and her slow, patient instruction) and our common language of cooking. Even if you don't like cooking - you will love the results. The food in Antigua is pretty good, but this is even better.

New York City, New York
“Highlight of the Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had a great experience making and eating some amazing Guatemalan food. We did the class after spending about a week in Guatemala so it was really fun having the chance to make the food we had been eating all week. The instructor was very experienced and kept us engaged the entire time. I had never done a cooking class in the past; however, El Frijol Feliz has set a high bar. I highly recommend the cooking school.

Novato, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just took a class on Nov. 5th. Our teacher was great, the class fantastic and the lunch afterwards was fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

My friend and I took a morning cooking class and it was a treat. We learned how to make a fabulous Guatemalan food from starters to main dish, side dishes and dessert. Though our chef did not speak English she did a good job showing us how to do all the recipes. We finished the day enjoying the fruits of our labor with a very tasty meal. I highly recommend El Frijol Cooking School.

Boquete, Panama
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Pleasant Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Small group, hands on experience. We cooked a full traditional Guatemalan dish. Fun environment and food was excellent. Unfortunately the instructor only spoke Spanish, moved very quickly and did not provide hand-outs for the items we cooked. Some recipes are on their website but others are not.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Excellent cultural activity & you get to eat the result!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband arranged for us to cook Guatemalan cuisine for a birthday surprise and it was fantastic!

There was only the two of us & our Guatemalan chef. Despite not knowing much Spanish and her not speaking English, everything in the kitchen went well. My husband had already chosen a menu and we cooked chicken pepian - a meat stew traditionally cooked for celebrations, rice & vege fritters, guacamole (the most amazing recipe!), tortillas and plantain mole.

The cooking took around 2-3 hours and the hardest part was mastering the art of tortilla making (it is not as easy as you may think!) You then get to enjoy your meal; we gave it a good go but were unable to eat all the food we had cooked.

Luis (the owner) was a superb host as well. He greeted us with fresh coffee when we arrived & was on hand to see how we were going with our class. He had also arranged a birthday cake, which was an additional surprise and a very thoughtful touch.

If you are looking for something interesting to do in Antigua & especially if you like food, book a class.

Visited September 2013