“Lovely hotel let down by disgraceful wifi policy”

Camino Real Antigua
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in what was one of the better hotels in two weeks in Guatemala and felt very luxurious for the price. Lovely room and right outside the giant hot tub / pool. A little slice of luxury in the wonderful town of Antigua.

Couple of gripes which stop this hotel being 5 star review

1. Failure to respond to emails about activities directed at concierge, eg email sent about local golf was ignored.

2. Moreover this hotel has a policy of charging for wifi per device which I have never seen anywhere. I resent paying for wifi in a hotel period, but paying for each device is a bad joke. I would call the hotel in advance before booking to get this changed for your stay or look elsewhere....this really is a terrible policy!

Room Tip: 202 was a good one, right next pool
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest!!

Thank you so much for your time writing about our hote, it is always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Although your comment about internet was notify to responsible department, it´s very important for us to know how was your experience during your stay.

Any additional comment please feel free to let us know by this way.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I chose to spend my birthday at this hotel. It is a BEAUTIFUL hotel. Walking around is gorgeous - beautiful landscaping, decorating, furnishings. The bed is maybe the most comfortable I've ever stayed in ever - like a giant pillow, with a great blanket. The bathroom is modern and comfortable, and mine had a beautiful cupula-skylight. The location was also very good, within walking distance of all of Antigua (though that's fairly standard for such a small town). The staff were also very friendly and eager to help - the bellhops a bit more than the front desk.

However, for such a nice, 5-star hotel, two things really stand out as flaws: one is that they charge for internet - and not just a fee, but per device - and a steep $10 per device. I've actually never seen this or heard of this anywhere else. I was traveling during business, so I had to pay to connect both my phone and my laptop. The second was that they charged me for bottled water that was stationed in the bathroom (not the mini-bar - and $3 per bottle that sells for 60 cents in town). For a country where the water isn't safe to drink, I found this a little odd. This was not done at other hotels I've stayed at in Guatemala or Mexico (I mean, youth hostels give free bottled water often). Also, for some reason a 10% gratuity was added to this "mini-bar" charge, which I also don't understand (I picked up and opened the water bottle myself?). Also they tried to charge me for Evian ($8) which I hadn't drunk - so give your final bill a good looking over.

To me this seems a little bit like eating at a top restaurant, and being charged for using plates and napkins...

But it really is a GORGEOUS hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest!!

Thank you so much for your time comment about our hotel, it is always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Although your comment about internet was notify to responsible department, it´s very important for us to know how was your experience during your stay.

Any additional comment always be welcome.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Lovely hotel, excellent service, extra comfortable beds. We stayed for three nights and really enjoyed it. The setting of the hotel is beautiful and everybody is eager to welcome and help you. Rooms could be better sound proof and the food at the restaurant was not that good, except for the shrimp bisque which was great. We would totally recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your time comment about our hotel, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests. It´s always motivating to receive guests feedback, this help us to improve every day.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We arrived at night at the Camino Real and found ourselves in another world - a peaceful, unique atmosphere that I have to say is different from any hotel I've stayed at. The lobby was open-air and cozy at the same time and we were greeted with glasses of a refreshing green tea beverage when we arrived. The welcome drink is always a nice touch. There was a little snafu with our reservation (we'd booked via Expedia earlier that day), but we were able to resolve it by emailing the confirmation to the front desk. So, if you do book online, just be sure you have your confirmation with you in some form. Once that was taken care of, we were led to our room - it almost feels as if you're walking through a little town...all of the rooms are off of pleasant little courtyards. It was just very quiet and nice. It's rainy season now, so that may have been why it was so peaceful - we only saw a few other guests.

We'd arrived late and hungry and were happy to find that the bar was still open and serving food for a late dinner (open until 12am) - and the food (hamburger and nachos for us) was very good as well. In fact, everything we ate in Guatemala was quite good. Room service operates 24-hours as well, so there's always an option. We didn't eat in the main restaurant, but it looked nice as well.

The rooms are nice, too. Very modern (partly why I'd chosen this hotel over its competition in town). I believe the hotel is newly built. You wouldn't think so, because it has so much character - but the good thing is that everything is very well-appointed and comfortable. Hair-dryer, iron, toiletries, etc. in the room - everything you'd expect from a high caliber hotel. Coffeemaker, but coffee was charged at $2.50, so I didn't sample (this was one small thing...I think a hotel should provide coffee in the room for free, especially in a country like Guatemala which is know for it's coffee. Just would have been a nice touch). Very high ceilings, flatscreen TV, minibar, comfortable beds, huge thick comforters (almost too much, unless you keep the air conditioning cranked). It poured buckets the first night - so, it was a bit hard to sleep. Obviously no fault of the hotel, just something to be aware of if you're visiting during rainy season.

The hotel also has a large jacuzzi - billed as the largest in Central America. It was quite nice - and you can order drinks from the phone there. No pool - it was too chilly for us to use a pool anyway though, the jacuzzi was just what we needed. There's also spa services, though we didn't take advantage.

Antigua overall felt very safe. We didn't walk into town - though we did take a taxi on one night. I think it would've been a bit too long of a walk in the rain (and I walk everywhere), but it depends on the person.

Overall, really nice place, not to mention a really great value. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Was here with a group of co-workers. This hotel is more than amazing! The rooms are glorious..where can I get those comforters?! The food is good. The buffet is well stocked. The staff is more than gracious and helpful. The only problem is it can be a little noisy in the wee hours of the morning....heard some type of animal crying. Not a big deal but bugged me slightly. No real pool but a gigantic jacuzzi is the way I would describe it. The price was also reasonable but I was with a group so dont know the "regular" prices. Plan to return and stay here again for certain. The surrounding area requires some caution but just be wise when traveling anywhere. My room was uber large...floors are hardwood. Has jacuzzi tub too! P.S. dont drink the water if from the states, otherwise...a must visit!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel as part of a Guatemala tour. Our view is that the Camino Real Antigua is the best hotel we have been in during this tour. The hotel looks very prestigious, rooms are very nice and staff is very helpful. It should be mentioned that the staff speaks English, which is not always the case in Guatemala.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

A friend recomended the hotel and stayed there for a weekend, and it was a very pleasant stay. Rooms were comfy the general impression was great! The restaurant very delicious too. In Antigua the best way to transport is walking, so distances were good like a 5min walk from Parque Central.
It has a big jacuzzi which was very relaxing specially at nights. when I have the oportunity I will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review from our hotel. It´s a pleasant received such amazing comments which help us to keep our high service standard. Your compliments are really a positive stroke and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.

We hope to see you soon again in Camino Real Antigua.