“great overall experience”

Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Montreal, Canada
“great overall experience”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

From the moment we checked-in the staff was very accommodating and pleasant. The grounds and gardens were well kept and in a very relaxing atmosphere. Although there was no pool; the hot tub for us was even better, clean, well kept and relaxing. We felt very safe through out our stay and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to our friends
The restaurant food along with the staff was excellent. The rooms were spacious and very comfortable. We needed extra hangers and the light in the wardrobe was broken...one call and 10 minutes later all was fixed and we were accommodated.

Room Tip: buy your water at a local store, hotel prices for water is expensive.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MODENA48
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for such a great comment it always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to keep our high service standard.
I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

What a beautiful property! The Camino Real Antigua is one of the newer hotels in Antigua but I loved the design and decor and landscaping in the different areas: Lobby , Restaurant, gardens and rooms. the beds are extremely comfortable, the bathroom has a lovely traditional Antigua style roofing that lets in natural light- I loved it! The service was superb! I hope to return with my family soon! Just a tip for the ladies: leave your heels at home- the city is better enjoyed on flats, even if you are there for work as I was.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravellingLili
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for such amazing comment about us. We really appreciate guests experiences. It´s a pleasant received that information which help us to keep our high service standard.

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board.

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I knew this would be one of our best trips ever when we were met by an entourage with complimentary fruit smoothies when we arrived. The rooms were fantastic. As another reviewer noted, the bathroom door does not lock, but it is heavy and opens away from the toilet, so this was not a problem for our family of four. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever experienced. There were attendants everywhere, for towels, to carry luggage, to help us find a cab and pretty much everything. The buffet was about $14. The food was very good, and the staff was incredibly attentive to our needs in the dining room. The pictures of the exercise room on the website do not appear nearly as luxurious as it really is. The only down side: It was strange to pay $10 per day for internet access, and I was disappointed that we were limited to using one device. Who travels with only one electronic device? We will return to Antigua and we will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.
It´s a pleasant received such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Got 3 rooms here to visit Antigua with my family and my girlfriend during the 2012 Holly Week (Semana Santa). It was not our first choice, but almost every other hotel was sold-out.

The Camino Real is nice, safe and worry-free, although for a future visit I would probably stay somewhere else. Food is very expensive, even for luxury hotel standards - and the food is not that great. I don't recommend eating there: there are many great options in Antigua.

They won't put even a single complimentary bottle of water in your room. You have to pay for them. And as in most hotels, they price their water bottles as if they were the rarest of wines. For me this is a sign of a property just wanting to help you get rid of your money. And I don't appreciate such an attitude.

If you are with kids there aren't really many things to do at this hotel.

There is no pool, just what they call a "big" jacuzzi, which is not that big, has very limited hours, and has slippery surroundings.

However, the property is nice enough and beds are quite comfortable.

Unfortunately, the rooms have a very big drawback: you can't (yes, I said you "can't") lock the door in the bathrooms. It's part of the design. Probably some genius thought it was cool. You basically slide the door to close it, and then hope for the best... There's no way to "protect" yourself...

Now, I absolutely hate this. See, when nature calls I want complete privacy. I don't want my beautiful girlfriend to risk walking on me when I am seated in the toilet. And the opposite is very true, too. I think all hotel owners and managers must take extra steps to make very sure their bathrooms are both odor-proof and noise-proof. In this case, you can't even lock the door. Duh.

Now, the Camino Real has an advantage: the abundant parking space available underneath the hotel. Parking space is scarce in Antigua, so this is a big plus. And it's free to guests.

The building is very recent, probably one the newest-built hotel in Antigua. So it is not a historical building, like most of the other hotels there. This might be good or not, depending on your tastes. Personally I would prefer one of the cozy, beautiful boutique hotels you can find in this marvelous colonial city. If I am visiting a 400 year old city, why stay in a "modern" building?

Bottom line: an adequate hotel, nicely furnished. Not bad at all. But because of the bathroom issue I would make sure to stay somewhere else in my next visit to Antigua.

Room Tip: If you want privacy when you are seated at the toilet, avoid this hotel. You can't lock the do...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Ximena R, Gerente at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to get better every day, we are sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits.

I will take the liberty to share your comment in order to get better.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Wow, what a great hotel!!! What great beds!!! I was totally surprised by this property. One thing that was weird is that I had to pay for the coffee in my room. Isn't this where coffee comes from?!?!

• Stayed May 2012
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.
It always a pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a whole week over Semana Santa conveniently located. Quite and spacious. Rooms in the the corners can be a bit dark. Friendly staff , high standard and feels safe with key required to get into complex and have to tap out as well. Only distraction was having kids in diapers in the jacuzzi, the pool man had to make a special trip

Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I use Camino Real for my tours in Antigua and Tikal and let me tell you that the attention that we get always is excellent, and the prices per room are fair Camino Real have so many things to offer, we use also another hotels and sometimes their prices are to expensive and the quality that we get is not good enough for the price that we pay. If you want to spend a few nights in Antigua or Tikal and have a wonderful experience stay in this place.

Carlos