“Craft Market”

Mercado de Artesanias
Ranked #7 of 39 Shopping in Antigua
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I really like this craft market. Generally, venders are polite and avoid being pushy. They will greet you as you walk by their shop and invite you to look, but they will not hound you as some venders do in other parts of the world. There are a variety of products available. Expect to pay a small fee to use the restroom. You'll need to ask a vender to locate the staff person with the key. There is an ATM machine on site. You can find a small place to purchase soft drinks or coffee, but to date there is not a restaurant. Expect to negotiate with every vender. Its part of the fun. Be polite and have fun. You'll get better prices from venders who like you. Its best to purchase with the local currency (Quatzales) but most venders will take US dollars. If you use dollars you'll need clean, unmarked, un-torn bills. Avoid $1 because venders have a difficult exchanging them at the bank. There is another market next door outside the area of the Artisan Market. You should probably avoid going deep inside that area alone.

5  Thank Chapingros
in 3 reviews
"necklace"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed March 29, 2013

It was nice to walk around for the first 5 mins, then you realize that every shop seems to have the same stuff. I'm sure it was a good idea grouping them together to make it easier for tourists, but if you are looking for a unique piece, this is not quite the place. However, if you are sweeping (relatively) cheap mementos for a large group of friends/ family, this could be the place.

2  Thank travel-bitten-shark
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I thought this was a nice little market for souvenir shopping. It's definitely geared towards tourists and sells the usual tourist goodies -- t-shirts, key chains, toys, native cloth, jewelry, chocolates, coffee, etc. It gets a little bit repetitive after a while, but since the market is pretty self-contained, it's easy to walk through and get comparative prices for things. That said, things were more expensive here than ChiChi Market and I felt that there was a little less room for bargaining prices down. But it was otherwise a pretty good time.

It's a bit of a labyrinth but the great thing is that it's quasi indoors -- it's almost entirely covered which becomes important when you're shopping during the rainy season. Also, there are some really nice hidden gems. I saw a great painting that was a bit too big for my apartment. I asked the young man there if he had it in a smaller size and he actually offered to replicate the painting for me in a smaller size. He'd actually done the paintings himself. It was nice not to be buying mass produced tourist junk. I was able to come pick it up in two days, freshly prepared (if still a bit wet). Wonderful.

This is not as authentic a market experience as the ChiChi Market (Chichicastenango), but still great for picking up some souvenirs for friends and family.

3  Thank Ndidi A
Reviewed August 2, 2012

For me, I wish I could have had a second day to go back and get the things that I found myself thinking about that night. There is SO MUCH, and much that is similar, that I think it is best enjoyed casually. I bought some beautiful things at amazing prices, but have regret that almost hurts about two jade bracelets that I didn't buy. There is a lot of bargaining that goes on, and some of it too aggressive for me, but I also really enjoyed some vendors that were really sweet, willing to talk a bit.