Review Highlights
Nice clean market

Nice clean market in Antigua. Adjacent to a street market that feels more authentic, but definitely... read more

Reviewed March 14, 2018
jrmcafee
Big market, similar products

The market is large but, like most open air markets, has a lot of repeat products, so make sure to... read more

Reviewed August 8, 2017
courtneylynn27
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Antigua
from $15.00
from $35.00
from $99.00
from $25.00
More Info
All reviews opening price souvenirs bargaining vendors tourists haggle necklace
Reviewed March 29, 2013

It was nice to walk around for the first 5 mins, then you realize that every shop seems to have the same stuff. I'm sure it was a good idea grouping them together to make it easier for tourists, but if you are looking for a unique piece, this is not quite the place. However, if you are sweeping (relatively) cheap mementos for a large group of friends/ family, this could be the place.

Date of experience: April 2012
2  Thank travel-bitten-shark
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I thought this was a nice little market for souvenir shopping. It's definitely geared towards tourists and sells the usual tourist goodies -- t-shirts, key chains, toys, native cloth, jewelry, chocolates, coffee, etc. It gets a little bit repetitive after a while, but since the market is pretty self-contained, it's easy to walk through and get comparative prices for things. That said, things were more expensive here than ChiChi Market and I felt that there was a little less room for bargaining prices down. But it was otherwise a pretty good time.

It's a bit of a labyrinth but the great thing is that it's quasi indoors -- it's almost entirely covered which becomes important when you're shopping during the rainy season. Also, there are some really nice hidden gems. I saw a great painting that was a bit too big for my apartment. I asked the young man there if he had it in a smaller size and he actually offered to replicate the painting for me in a smaller size. He'd actually done the paintings himself. It was nice not to be buying mass produced tourist junk. I was able to come pick it up in two days, freshly prepared (if still a bit wet). Wonderful.

This is not as authentic a market experience as the ChiChi Market (Chichicastenango), but still great for picking up some souvenirs for friends and family.

Date of experience: August 2012
3  Thank Ndidi A
Reviewed August 2, 2012

For me, I wish I could have had a second day to go back and get the things that I found myself thinking about that night. There is SO MUCH, and much that is similar, that I think it is best enjoyed casually. I bought some beautiful things at amazing prices, but have regret that almost hurts about two jade bracelets that I didn't buy. There is a lot of bargaining that goes on, and some of it too aggressive for me, but I also really enjoyed some vendors that were really sweet, willing to talk a bit.

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This place gives you a great overview of all the typical souvenirs, you can buy everywhere around Guatemala. It is slightly expensive, though, but if you don't have time (or patience) to discover all the smaller markets, this is definitely a good place to buy souvenirs and spend some quality time in Antigua.

Date of experience: August 2011
2  Thank SofieToft
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I visit the Mercado de Artesanias after walking around the market right on the other side of the street. We were surprised to find some crafts and and textiles we haven't seen before in other markets around Antigua.
The place was clean and quiet.
It was very enjoyable.