“Great value, nice place”
Review of Posada Juma Ocag

Posada Juma Ocag
Ranked #9 of 117 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We ended up here for our first night in Guatemala. like other reviews say, it is clean, good value, kind staff. I'm sorry we didn't stay here again the next time we were in Antigua.

Room Tip: Try to get a room upstairs
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BenandTan

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Even though there were only a few reviews on TA, I decided to take a chance and book a 3 night stay with this hostel. At 160Q a night for a double room, it was an absolute steal! Based on the reviews, we were fully prepared for the lukewarm water, but to our surprise, the water was piping hot! The room was very basic but clean with plenty of storage space. The beds weren't the most comfortable, but at $20 a night, I wasn't about to complain! Wifi was also working perfectly during our stay. Safety is a big issue in Antigua especially in the evenings. Since the hotel is in a great location (right across from the markets) on a busy street, we didn't have to worry too much about being mugged etc.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cllo123
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed her for 3 nights using it as a base for exploring Antigua and its surrounds. The Hotel is practically inconspicuous from the outside but inside, its dozen or so rooms are arranged on two floors opposite a tiny but well maintained and very pretty internal garden. There is also a small rooftop seating area on the upper floor. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable with private bath/shower - though you have to know how to work the sometimes erratic shower-head heaters common in these parts. The rooms also have some basic furniture in which to stow your luggage but have no A/C. They have no TV either but its unlikely you will miss this as Antigua has so much to offer. There is no restaurant or eating facilities but free coffee is available up to 9 am in the morning on top of a fridge where you can store any cold drinks or food on an honour basis.
The hotel has a geat location at the the Western end (bottom) of the town, directly across from a huge local market with the bus terminus and a large indoor craft market also nearby. There are several shops, restaurants, bars and internet cates in the immediate vicinity and its only three blocks away from the Parque Central, the towns main tourist hub.
Security is excellent with access only via ringing the inner door-bell. After 10 pm the outside door is closed but a night porter is on call 24/7 and very responsive. The staff were friendly and, though they spoke very little english, they did their best to help me with my spanglish questions. The hotel also has a laundry service and free wif-fi, though I was unable to avail of either.
If you are looking for luxurious pampering, then look elsewhere. But if you want a clean, comfortable, secure and quiet hotel, with a great location, this would be hard to beat and especially when you take account of the value: I got a double room on my own for about eur11 per night.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank OldFitzer
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I wanted to stay 2 nights and stayed 5 due to the great atmosphere of this hostal.It is absolutely safe, the location couldn't be more central, the rooms are clean and spacious and mostly there is hot and cold water.There is even free wi-fi and this for the price of 160Q only! the staff are helpful and informative and there is a nice little terrace on the last floor , if you want to relax after a long walk through the town.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor are a little airier
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank roadhitter_13
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed here with a friend recently and we had one of the upstairs twin rooms with bathroom. It was very comfortable; the beds were great, there is free wi-fi and the place was very clean. The patio and garden also brighten the place up a lot. Best of all, it was QUIET! We didn't have hot water though, which was a bit of a pain. At best it was lukewarm, even after it had been "fixed". Still, at 140Q for the room, it was good value.

The staff is friendly enough but I have to say that the owner, Maria, was not at all flexible and not particularly accommodating. For example, I used their left luggage service but I didn't have a fixed return date to Antigua. I had to make a reservation and prepay it in order to leave my luggage, but instead of allowing me to book a night and then change it later (according to their availability of course) she told me they don't accept changes to bookings?! They only have 7 rooms, so I was a little confused as to why I couldn't change the date if there were rooms available, especially since I had prepaid! Also with the left luggage scenario, there was some confusion between my friend and Maria about how long I wanted to leave my luggage for. When I spoke to her about it (I had wanted to leave it for a couple of weeks if possible), she accused my friend of lying about it because their policy is for a maximum of 8 days!! It was simply a misunderstanding, but rather than give us the benefit of the doubt she said it was a lie! After that I didn't feel particularly inclined to spend more time there, so I am staying elsewhere for 2 nights and then will go back for my booking (of course, I ended up in Antigua earlier than I had booked for).

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms at the back are dark but quiet, top floor are lighter and airy and still quiet
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed here for more than 2 weeks. It is great value for what you get. Clean, very secure (I left cash, camara, ipod and passport, credit cards in the the room and never thought any of them would be unsafe) with you own private bathroom for 120 Q for one person.

It is not fancy, the water is lukewarm with little water pressure and there´s no tv or fan, but for this price ( price of a hostal share bath & even share room in Antigua) it is awesome and I can´t understand why there are only 5 reviews.

This is not a party house, this is great for people who really do want to sleep in their hotel and require privacy.

The ladies and the one gentleman are very gracious and accomodating. There´s coffee and water and a communal fridge for all guests to use.

The room is larger than most others that I checked out within this price range and there are actually furniture in the room so you don´t have to put everything on the floor.

I am really sad to leave actually. The location is awesome, it is across the market, but very quiet at night and a big grocery store nearby as well as a lot of dining options.

The 2 weeks I stayed here, it was always full, people with reservations and walk ins, Lonely Planet says they only accept reservations in person, but that is not true. Google them and you can email them. The Senora speaks a little English, but everyone will understand your Spanglish or some form of it.

Room Tip: Upstairs is best
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Q160 for a double room with free wi-fi and super friendly staff. Fantastic. My only concern was the earlier than normal check out at 10am. However they allowed me to stay until midday. Great place to stay, highly recommend it. It's the kind of hotel you leave saying to yourself 'what a brilliant hotel, i will definitely return when back in Antigua'.

Room Tip: Upstairs, away from the terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple