“Excellent restaurant”
Review of La Pena de Sol Latino - CLOSED

La Pena de Sol Latino
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is an excellent restaurant and I would highly recommend it. The coconut- lemonade drink is delicious and I can highly recommend the nachos and seafood dishes. The atmosphere inside is welcoming and the waiters could not have been more helpful.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Every time our church mission teams visit Antigua, we make plans to eat here. We love Bill and Mary Harris the owners, and we also love the food and the live Andean music in this place. It is always a real treat. The grouper volcanoes are delicious by the way. Ask about their special lemonade drink...nice. So, don't go to Antigua without eating here.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was my second trip to Antigua and my second time to enjoy La Pena de Sol Latino. This is an absolutely wonderful, quaint restaurant. Be sure you start with one of their "Lemonade" drinks! It is addictive. The food was delicious - my wife ordered the Chicken Quesadillas and I actually ordered a hamburger simply because when we were seated I saw another customer being served one and it looked so good I could not resist! Both dishes were fantastic!
They also have a 2 or 3 person band that plays and sings classic latin music including several different pan flutes. The music is both tastefully done and high quality, and truly adds to the ambiance.
The owners, Bill and Mary are hands on and love to personally interact with their guests, which ensures a very high quality of service. They have a 16 year old local teenager they are helping to afford to attend school - he makes several different kinds of jewelry - necklaces, bracelets, ear rings, etc. and always has some beautiful scarves that he offers for sell. This is done with great taste - offered but with no pressure. He is a humble young man, living on his own and working to put himself through school. We purchased several items from him to help him but also because they were really nice items at very reasonable prices.
Dessert!!! We ordered the brwnies and ice cream - it was incredible!

lapenaantigua, Owner at La Pena de Sol Latino, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for the review and for supporting Felipe. He is 14, works hard making and selling jewelry and now he is in 2nd grade. We are very proud of him! Hurry back!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

FANTASTIC! La Peña del Sol is the best restaurant in Antigua! The food is delicious, the lemonade is addictive, the service is outstanding, the music is mesmerizing, and Bill & Mary (owners) are amazing! I bring 20+ groups here a year and it only gets better. La Peña will be one of the highlights of your stay in Antigua, I promise!

Check out the Saturday morning cooking class.... I did and it was a treat to learn and cook typical Guatemalan food. The chefs mad the class fun AND delicious!

Thanks, Hoopmeister, for the great review! And for bringing such great people to our restaurant! We always enjoy having you! See you soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a great restaurant, pet friendly, cozy, friendly and great food! Owners are very hospitable. The music is typically wonderful for Antigua. We will be back!