“Very helpful staff!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 100 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Very helpful staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great little hostel! If you travel like my friend and I do, you end up having a million mini requests for the hostel staff (ex. can we pay via paypall, can you book this for us, can you call them, can you stand on your head for 5 minutes). The staff was really what made the difference for us. Not to say that the rooms aren't good. The rooms are nice and cozy with foam mattresses which aren't crazy loud when someone on the top bunk needs to move. In the end it's really helpful to have a hostel staff that will give you advice and help you make your trip a little smoother. Thanks so much Basecamp!

Semana Santa note: The hostel company had a few (more) requests like high percentage room deposits and booking three nights, but when you realize how insane Antigua is during Semana Santa you can understand the requests. The staff was very polite and helpful in explaining the additional requests for this special week. If you really have a concern with requirements I would suggest just talking to the staff and seeing what can be done. They're here to help!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katie A

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I left my travelling companion alone for five minutes and he managed to get us expelled from this excellent hostel.

He had already annoyed the Israeli manager of the Hotel Zoola who told him to find somewhere else. I thought we were fortunate to get beds at the place next door: pleasant helpful staff, quiet, good facilities, nice spacious dorm, reasonable price. The only real drawbacks were that the kitchen was no longer available for guests and that they insisted on keeping our passports throughout our stay, in both cases for security reasons. I booked us in for a week, and the evening and night passed pleasantly enough. Watched movies on Netfix in the chill out room.

We were woken to the gentle sounds of Mozart. I tucked into the free Guatemalan breakfast while My friend ate some apples.

After breakfast, I was summoned to see the manager. The good news was that he would help us find a lawyer to fight our case against a motorcyclist who had injured my companion. . The bad news was that my friend would need to leave the hostel today, for not treating the staff with respect. While I was in the bathroom, he had barged into the staff-only kitchen to wash his apples, pushing aside the staff member who tried to stop him. So he would have to leave. We would not be charged for that night's accommodation.

It seems odd to give a good reference for a hostel from which we were expelled, but I thnk this is a good place and I am sorry we couldn't stay longer. I hope my friend learns better manners in future. Frankly, we got what he deserved.

And I hope anyone reading this will know that if they use this hostel there will be consequences if they don't obey the rules and treat people properly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank andrewmilton
Sunshine Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Perfectly clean rooms, memory foam mattresses, fast wifi and netflix. Just like home with a variety of extreme activities organised right from the lobby. I highly recommend it. Opposite to a party hostel and the perfect place for down time after big bus rides or days full of activities. It also opposite a delish cheap dinner option!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Antigua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Really great place to stay, clean dorms and amazing memory foam mattresses. There were plenty of places to hang out and chill in the hostel and the terrace area was lovely for some sunshine. Staff were friendly, a couple more toilets would have been amazing but would stay here again for sure!

Stayed March 2014
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

There are only two toilets and since they also are also showers, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get in there in the morning. All the guys were peeing in water bottles because of the insanely long waits in the morning. Other than that, this place is really not very clean. I really wanted to like it here because the staff were extremely friendly and helpful (and the showers were hot!) but we still had to switch hostels after a couple days because of how gross the place was and because of the bathroom situation. Oh - and one of the girls in the dorm had her laptop stolen.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank expat_mbk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at OX pretty late our first night in Antigua and were greeted by the wonderful Jude and Scott and of course a traditional ox lollipop. They were so inviting, warm, and hospitable I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Antigua.

Jude was so sweet and able to answer all of our questions, and point us in the right direction for what we were looking for.

We woke up every morning to by far the best breakfast we had in any hostel during our 2 week stay on Guatemala (eggs with veggies, beans, bread, and some French pressed Guatemalan coffee!)

We (a group of 4-5 girls) felt completely safe in the area which is of utmost importance. When we were swindled into taking a dangerous "evening" $50USD hike up acatenango by another group when OX's day trip was booked up, their head guide (victor) assisted us in getting our money back and went with us to the agency to ensure that he could get their name so that none of OX's guests would go through a similar situation.

When back in Antigua I couldn't stay anywhere else. I felt welcome and part of the little hostel family there!

We were late for our shuttle out of Antigua so we didn't get to say a proper goodbye, but I will forever miss the staff there. Jude & the rest of the staff are complete gems in Antigua!

• Stayed December 2013
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've been through 22 countries and I primarily stay in hostels. This is one of my favorite places. First off, the address listed is the old address. The hostel has moved over to Septima Calle, between 5th and 6th Avenidas. They moved over in July and has been under heavy construction for a couple of months but it is nearly finished (I hear there are plans for the roof terrace). I'm not in the habit of taking pictures of hostels I stay in but I'll ask friends that are going through to send me some (also, you can see photos on OX's facebook page). I've stayed here twice, once in July and again in November. In July, it was a bit rough with the construction but there was a heavy discount to make up for it. The staff were really friendly so when I came back to Antigua, I decided to stay here again. The new place is awesome. There is a giant mural painted by a local artist that is incredible and each room has unique artwork that is incredibly well done. The beds are standard as with any hostel in Guatemala which I found comfortable. They have a "hang-out" cave with cool lighting and large flatscreen with netflix. There is free local style breakfast daily that is really good and filling. The location is safe and within walking distance of parque central (about 3 blocks) but far enough where you don't have to listen to the club music/loud drunks. I also did 2 hikes through OX, Pacaya and Acatenango, both positive but I'm going to leave those reviews in the OX daytrip page. I will make 4 comments in response to some things said below. 1) This hostel is not overpriced. Antigua as a town is more expensive than the rest of Guatemala due to the large flow of tourists. The price is competitive with the other hostels. 2) There are only 2 hiking companies in town. The last time I checked, OX was slightly cheaper but feel free to do your own price check, the other company is called Oldtown Outfitters. Any other agency that offers hiking tours is just a middleman company with exception to Pacaya day tours. Random agencies offer cheaper daytrips on Pacaya than the 2 but you are just paying for transport and park entrance. Frankly, paying a little extra for the guide is worth it and you will be guided through the lava fields (at least with OX, I can't speak for the other company) which I don't believe you can do on your own. 3) You do not need armed security on Pacaya nor Acatenango. Agua is the dangerous volcano which armed security is necessary when going through the hiking routes. Our hiking groups have encountered other groups on the trails led by independent guides and the competing company, they weren't armed. 4) A guide needs to lead from the front, the faster hikers can not lead themselves and will end up getting lost thus leading parts of the group on different trails. I feel this hostel is great and you should definitely at least drop in to check it out.

Room Tip: The room adjacent to Septima Calle is a little cheaper than the others due to the noise from early t...