“Best Hostel I've Ever Stayed At”

El Hostal Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I really liked this place and stayed twice during my visit to Guatemala.

First off, it is so nice not to stay at a hostel where the popular bar is with strangers coming and going. The cafe or courtyard does serve beer, but only guests enjoy it. Across the street is Cafe Nose' which is PERFECT and one of the best bars to hit....STUMBLING distance back to your hostel! (I literally did stumble a few nights!)

Breakfast is included and is a GREAT deal. Breakfast is really good and was not a bad wait at all. Happy Hour is cool, 2 for 1 each night. Beds are comfortable and guess what? THEY MAKE YOUR BED EACH DAY! Crazy for a hostel!

Each day the employees are there cleaning. Place is spotless!

WiFi is reliable and can be reached from most rooms. HOT SHOWERS! (Although they did turn off the water during my second stay each night for about 2-3 hours...was weird, could even wash hands!)

The staff was all friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the room facing the street (noise) unless you plan to be out all night to wher...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 22, 2013

O.K. so my partner and I were easily the oldest people in this hostel by 20 years, but our stay was wonderful and our tribe of teenagers rocked on the place. Having spent a lot of time in hotels in our salad days I can't think of one that was more comfortable. Distance and ageing have not made me sentimental about those old hostel days (memories of showering with plastic bags on my feet in a manky hostel in Italy come flooding back) Not a bit of that bad news here. The showers were clean and hot and there were no nasty left overs in the bedrooms. This is a quality hostel with good breakfast selections, laundry service and a very helpful staff. I recommend you bring ear plugs for sleeping through jubilant late night conversations in the inner garden. Rooms further from the street are quieter especially on weekends. A great budget option for a big family.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

What do you expect from a hostel consistently rated five stars by its own guests? Comfy beds, reasonable price, hot shower, nice kitchen, clean rooms and bathrooms, great breakfast, friendly staff with local knowledge, good communal areas and a beautiful neighbourhood... I can tell you with confidence that El Hostal has all that. 5 stars, no question.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a really high standard place - it's one of the cleanest hostels I've stayed in. The showers have hot water and the dorm rooms are spacious. The one at the back is much quieter as it is away from the street. There is a choice of what to eat for breakfast which was always delicious and served in the pretty courtyard. Although the hostel is social it's not a party hostel but there is a really good bar - cafe no se opposite the hostel. The family that run the hostel are very accommodating and friendly and can arrange tours and taxis as you wish.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights in total in a private room. A cozy and clean place where you feel at home, people working there are very friendly. As I came back to El Hostal at the end of my Guatemala trip, my room was not ready although it was check-in time (because the guests did not leave on time), so the receptionist made me a fresh orange juice to compensate this. Nice gesture.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is the only place I stayed in Antigua that actually had HOT SHOWERS! I stayed at Casa Bellona too during the same trip (spring 2010) but really wanted to come back to El Hostal because I liked it better and it has a more central location. I stayed in a private room and thought it was worth the extra cost. They also arranged to pick me up at the airport for Q250. The only negative was a giant spider I encountered in my room one night, but this is pretty common in Guatemala.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a lovely little hostel. My friend and I stayed in the 8-bed dorm room. The rooms and beds were clean and comfy, the staff was friendly and very helpful - not to mention very patient with my ridiculous Spanish. Free breakfast included was a huge bonus - it was tasty and a good portion. It is a few blocks away from the town centre, but still close to bars and restaurants and other exciting things. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Obviously, the fewer beds the better sleep you're going to get.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends