“Quiet, clean and friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Hostal Bed and Breakfast

El Hostal Bed and Breakfast
“Quiet, clean and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a really high standard place - it's one of the cleanest hostels I've stayed in. The showers have hot water and the dorm rooms are spacious. The one at the back is much quieter as it is away from the street. There is a choice of what to eat for breakfast which was always delicious and served in the pretty courtyard. Although the hostel is social it's not a party hostel but there is a really good bar - cafe no se opposite the hostel. The family that run the hostel are very accommodating and friendly and can arrange tours and taxis as you wish.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights in total in a private room. A cozy and clean place where you feel at home, people working there are very friendly. As I came back to El Hostal at the end of my Guatemala trip, my room was not ready although it was check-in time (because the guests did not leave on time), so the receptionist made me a fresh orange juice to compensate this. Nice gesture.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlingame, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is the only place I stayed in Antigua that actually had HOT SHOWERS! I stayed at Casa Bellona too during the same trip (spring 2010) but really wanted to come back to El Hostal because I liked it better and it has a more central location. I stayed in a private room and thought it was worth the extra cost. They also arranged to pick me up at the airport for Q250. The only negative was a giant spider I encountered in my room one night, but this is pretty common in Guatemala.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a lovely little hostel. My friend and I stayed in the 8-bed dorm room. The rooms and beds were clean and comfy, the staff was friendly and very helpful - not to mention very patient with my ridiculous Spanish. Free breakfast included was a huge bonus - it was tasty and a good portion. It is a few blocks away from the town centre, but still close to bars and restaurants and other exciting things. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Obviously, the fewer beds the better sleep you're going to get.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great place to stay, really close to everything in Antigua. The Staff is very helpful, they keep everything very clean and inviting. When booking day trips they suggest the most economical and enjoyable way not the most profitable for them. Getting around town is very easy, nothing is more than 6 or 7 blocks way and if you don't want to walk it's easy to get a Tuc Tuc for Q5. Breakfast is included and off a real menu with both local and US/ Euro food. Not just french toast and pancakes. Will stay there again in January when I go back with friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have never written a review, and this hostel inspired me to. It blew my expectations away. The owners are soooo friendly and patient. The staff, esp the girls, are the nicest people ever. Everyone speaks okay english, so communication was easy. Super clean, staff is always cleaning. Hot water as well. The people traveling through was also cool. A lot of sun light in the common area and good conversations all around. Right across is skybar and cafe no se, which are fun, lively bars. Very calming here though, people keep voices down in the hostal later at night, so you are able to get a good nights' sleep. Plus, I was there for Thanksgiving, and the owners cooked a six course thanksgiving meal (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and everything) for everyone for an extra charge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kelsey1229
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

After reading the other reviews, I thought El Hostal would be the perfect get away for my husband and I during a weekend in Antigua. I love "guest house" type places where we can get a private room for a good deal, and I like chatting with other travellers. We don't usually stay in dorms, and at this point in my early 30's I prefer a more mellow atmosphere in the places I stay, rather than a "party hostel."

I feel like the reviews were misleading, or it was an odd night at El Hostal.

We arrived in the afternoon, found our room (#5), and it was spacious and clean. There is not an outside window but since the courtyard is "open air" it didn't seem too stuffy. Folks were sitting around on laptops or watching a soccer game. The bathrooms were right next to us, and they too were clean. The staff at the front desk was extremely friendly, more so than most places I've stayed in Guatemala thus far.

Then we went out in the town, shopping/eating/drinking. We came back around 10:30 ready to crash - I know 10:30 isn't late but we're teachers and it's late to us. We also thought we had chosen a mellow hostel! At 10:30 there was a group of tourists playing a loud drinking game involving some rooster noises or something else... they did eventually leave to go out drinking, but the noise level never dropped that much. We could hear someone who was sick in the bathroom, there were people smoking and talking loudly when they came back from the bars, and we could hear everything that happened in the courtyard.

Now - I know it's weird to give 4 stars with a night of not sleeping, however, I am taking into account the possibility that this was an unusual night. I also appreciate the positive:

-comfortable bed
-super clean room & bedrooms
-friendly staff
-AMAZING breakfast
-very affordable
-great location

I just want to put this review out there for people like us who prefer not to be woken up by other travellers throughout the night. We may as well have been staying in a dorm for the level of noise our room had. I would still recommend El Hostal (like I said, maybe it was an off night) but I wouldn't book all of your nights in case it's too loud for your tastes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple