“Hot showers, delicious breakfast”

El Hostal Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 103 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Burlingame, California
“Hot showers, delicious breakfast”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is the only place I stayed in Antigua that actually had HOT SHOWERS! I stayed at Casa Bellona too during the same trip (spring 2010) but really wanted to come back to El Hostal because I liked it better and it has a more central location. I stayed in a private room and thought it was worth the extra cost. They also arranged to pick me up at the airport for Q250. The only negative was a giant spider I encountered in my room one night, but this is pretty common in Guatemala.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a lovely little hostel. My friend and I stayed in the 8-bed dorm room. The rooms and beds were clean and comfy, the staff was friendly and very helpful - not to mention very patient with my ridiculous Spanish. Free breakfast included was a huge bonus - it was tasty and a good portion. It is a few blocks away from the town centre, but still close to bars and restaurants and other exciting things. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Obviously, the fewer beds the better sleep you're going to get.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great place to stay, really close to everything in Antigua. The Staff is very helpful, they keep everything very clean and inviting. When booking day trips they suggest the most economical and enjoyable way not the most profitable for them. Getting around town is very easy, nothing is more than 6 or 7 blocks way and if you don't want to walk it's easy to get a Tuc Tuc for Q5. Breakfast is included and off a real menu with both local and US/ Euro food. Not just french toast and pancakes. Will stay there again in January when I go back with friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have never written a review, and this hostel inspired me to. It blew my expectations away. The owners are soooo friendly and patient. The staff, esp the girls, are the nicest people ever. Everyone speaks okay english, so communication was easy. Super clean, staff is always cleaning. Hot water as well. The people traveling through was also cool. A lot of sun light in the common area and good conversations all around. Right across is skybar and cafe no se, which are fun, lively bars. Very calming here though, people keep voices down in the hostal later at night, so you are able to get a good nights' sleep. Plus, I was there for Thanksgiving, and the owners cooked a six course thanksgiving meal (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and everything) for everyone for an extra charge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kelsey W
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed November 26, 2012

After reading the other reviews, I thought El Hostal would be the perfect get away for my husband and I during a weekend in Antigua. I love "guest house" type places where we can get a private room for a good deal, and I like chatting with other travellers. We don't usually stay in dorms, and at this point in my early 30's I prefer a more mellow atmosphere in the places I stay, rather than a "party hostel."

I feel like the reviews were misleading, or it was an odd night at El Hostal.

We arrived in the afternoon, found our room (#5), and it was spacious and clean. There is not an outside window but since the courtyard is "open air" it didn't seem too stuffy. Folks were sitting around on laptops or watching a soccer game. The bathrooms were right next to us, and they too were clean. The staff at the front desk was extremely friendly, more so than most places I've stayed in Guatemala thus far.

Then we went out in the town, shopping/eating/drinking. We came back around 10:30 ready to crash - I know 10:30 isn't late but we're teachers and it's late to us. We also thought we had chosen a mellow hostel! At 10:30 there was a group of tourists playing a loud drinking game involving some rooster noises or something else... they did eventually leave to go out drinking, but the noise level never dropped that much. We could hear someone who was sick in the bathroom, there were people smoking and talking loudly when they came back from the bars, and we could hear everything that happened in the courtyard.

Now - I know it's weird to give 4 stars with a night of not sleeping, however, I am taking into account the possibility that this was an unusual night. I also appreciate the positive:

-comfortable bed
-super clean room & bedrooms
-friendly staff
-AMAZING breakfast
-very affordable
-great location

I just want to put this review out there for people like us who prefer not to be woken up by other travellers throughout the night. We may as well have been staying in a dorm for the level of noise our room had. I would still recommend El Hostal (like I said, maybe it was an off night) but I wouldn't book all of your nights in case it's too loud for your tastes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tecpan, Guatemala
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I am not a fan of hostals. Many people living/sleeping in one room is not my idea of a great accommodation. Perhaps it is my age and that I have already had enough of that communal experience. The good news of El Hostal is that it has private rooms too. Even though it is a shared bathroom, the overall ambience compensates for the lack of a private bathroom.
The breakfast, which is included, is great and much more than a bland continental type meal. The staff are friendly, attentive and accommodating. All is all it is a great, inexpensive place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are over forty, ask for a private room.........
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights. It is a fantastic hostel. Extremely friendly staff, super clean, great location, BEST breakfasts and smoothies ever. I also have to mention that I left a considerable amount of money in my pillow case and only realised after check out. When I emailed them they had the money waiting for me to return to collect it, so nice to have such honest people working there. Thanks for a fantastic stay El Hostal, it is definitely one to remember! :)

• Stayed November 2012