“This is the best hostel ever”

El Hostal Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
New York City, New York
“This is the best hostel ever”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have never written a review, and this hostel inspired me to. It blew my expectations away. The owners are soooo friendly and patient. The staff, esp the girls, are the nicest people ever. Everyone speaks okay english, so communication was easy. Super clean, staff is always cleaning. Hot water as well. The people traveling through was also cool. A lot of sun light in the common area and good conversations all around. Right across is skybar and cafe no se, which are fun, lively bars. Very calming here though, people keep voices down in the hostal later at night, so you are able to get a good nights' sleep. Plus, I was there for Thanksgiving, and the owners cooked a six course thanksgiving meal (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and everything) for everyone for an extra charge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kelsey W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed November 26, 2012

After reading the other reviews, I thought El Hostal would be the perfect get away for my husband and I during a weekend in Antigua. I love "guest house" type places where we can get a private room for a good deal, and I like chatting with other travellers. We don't usually stay in dorms, and at this point in my early 30's I prefer a more mellow atmosphere in the places I stay, rather than a "party hostel."

I feel like the reviews were misleading, or it was an odd night at El Hostal.

We arrived in the afternoon, found our room (#5), and it was spacious and clean. There is not an outside window but since the courtyard is "open air" it didn't seem too stuffy. Folks were sitting around on laptops or watching a soccer game. The bathrooms were right next to us, and they too were clean. The staff at the front desk was extremely friendly, more so than most places I've stayed in Guatemala thus far.

Then we went out in the town, shopping/eating/drinking. We came back around 10:30 ready to crash - I know 10:30 isn't late but we're teachers and it's late to us. We also thought we had chosen a mellow hostel! At 10:30 there was a group of tourists playing a loud drinking game involving some rooster noises or something else... they did eventually leave to go out drinking, but the noise level never dropped that much. We could hear someone who was sick in the bathroom, there were people smoking and talking loudly when they came back from the bars, and we could hear everything that happened in the courtyard.

Now - I know it's weird to give 4 stars with a night of not sleeping, however, I am taking into account the possibility that this was an unusual night. I also appreciate the positive:

-comfortable bed
-super clean room & bedrooms
-friendly staff
-AMAZING breakfast
-very affordable
-great location

I just want to put this review out there for people like us who prefer not to be woken up by other travellers throughout the night. We may as well have been staying in a dorm for the level of noise our room had. I would still recommend El Hostal (like I said, maybe it was an off night) but I wouldn't book all of your nights in case it's too loud for your tastes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tecpan, Guatemala
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I am not a fan of hostals. Many people living/sleeping in one room is not my idea of a great accommodation. Perhaps it is my age and that I have already had enough of that communal experience. The good news of El Hostal is that it has private rooms too. Even though it is a shared bathroom, the overall ambience compensates for the lack of a private bathroom.
The breakfast, which is included, is great and much more than a bland continental type meal. The staff are friendly, attentive and accommodating. All is all it is a great, inexpensive place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are over forty, ask for a private room.........
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights. It is a fantastic hostel. Extremely friendly staff, super clean, great location, BEST breakfasts and smoothies ever. I also have to mention that I left a considerable amount of money in my pillow case and only realised after check out. When I emailed them they had the money waiting for me to return to collect it, so nice to have such honest people working there. Thanks for a fantastic stay El Hostal, it is definitely one to remember! :)

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank lizzie1809
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this place was great:
PROS: very clean (daily).
Super friendly and accommodating staff.
Free wifi and delicious breakfast.
Great location not far from delicious restaurants like Y Tu Piña Tambien and Cafe Sky.
ONE CON: probably an isolated incident, but one of the night workers let two of their drunk friends crash in our room. Let them in in the middle of the night, they were noisy and (luckily) gone by the morning. We had the dorm and extra beds, but we couldn't help but feel untrusting of these two guys and got zero sleep. Never happened again, but put a slight damper on the experience.
OVERALL: fantastic place.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Evan M
London
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed for a couple of nights and would love to go back but unfortunately this time round they were fully booked.

The place is extremely clean and a really lovely, chilled out place to relax.

The staff are really friendly and helpful and we felt very welcome.

I love the bed!!! So comfortable.

Unfortunately we didn't get to try the breakfast as we had early starts while there and kept missing it. However, due to us missing breakfast, the staff made us sandwiches both days which was both appreciated and unexpected!

We will definitely stay here again if we can!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank TravellerS1703
france
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed in El Hostal for 4 days. This place is very pleasant. The rooms are organized around a lovely little backyard with a fountain, hammocks and couch. The place is extremely clean and the dorm spacious enough with very convenient lockers that can easily fit a huge backpack. While it is called an hostal, it feels very much more like a hotel, with very professional staff that can assist you in anything you need. Last but not least, the brakfast there is included and has nothing to do with anything I have seen in any hostel before. You can choose between a list of 7 things. The breakfast are big, abd very myummu. This place is definitely recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo