“Decent food, but completely over-priced”

Fonda de la Calle Real
Ranked #28 of 375 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Guatemalan
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Decent food, but completely over-priced”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stopped in today for lunch and had the caldo and a Pepsi light. The caldo was pretty good. It was a light soup with chicken, rice, and chopped up onions, cilantro and small bits of carrot in a tasty broth. The portion wasn't huge, but was decent. They include a 10% tax on your bill, so in the end, I paid about $10 for a bowl of soup and 1 soda. Unfortunately, I was hungry again two hours later. When I got back to my hotel, I discovered my hotel restaurant has a similar soup for less than half the price and sodas for 1/3 of the price. Yikes.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Upstate
“I wanted to like it.....”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Read my other reviews and you will see that I'm generally happy when someone brings me food and wine. Anything more than that and I'm thrilled. Unfortunately, I don't have much good to say about Fonda de la Calle Real. From the street, it is a sweet little spot and the waitstaff was attentive and nice. The house red wine was downright bitter and unpalatable, the Chorizo sausage was flavored indifferently and oddly textured, the iceburg lettuce "salad" was straight from the school cafeteria, the pork cutlets were slightly tough though flavorful. Needless to say, we didn't stay for dessert.

Quebec City, Canada
“This restaurant is renowned for its local cuisine.”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Located in 5th Avenida, the landmark street with the Arco, very near to the central park, this restaurant is renowned for its local cuisine. I went there twice; the first time I chose the famous Guatemalan dish "El Pepian", and the second time I selected "Caldo Real", a soup with chicken and rice served with oregano, chilli, coriander, onion and lemon. Both times the service was excellent, and the food delicious. La Fonda de la Calle Real is a great restaurant where you can enjoy fabulous food that is typical of Antigua.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Mishcan
London
“poor service and over charged!!!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We were looking forward to treating ourselves after a long ride on a crowded 'cameonette'' bus.
We enjoyed the food although we had not had the dishes anywhere else which we selected so cannot say if the dishes were good by comparision.

We discovered later this is a chain restaurant.

The service was basic and unfriendly. The plate was nudged across the table in a very clumpsy fashion and then to top it off the cashier totalled the billed incorrectly overcharging us by a large margin.

We refused to pay the service charge and left paying the correct amount without the service charge of 10%.

I can only rate the romanace based on my company- my husband- who is the best in the world.

I cannot reccomend it at all. Also be aware it is a chain establishment.

1 Thank Millyalan
North Tustin, CA
“Lovely local food”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had the house specialty soup which was delicious and my husband had a large plate of slow cook meats. Enjoyed Chilean wine and great service in the authentic atmosphere.