“Tiny place with very good food”
Review of Hector's Bistro

Hector's Bistro
Ranked #3 of 388 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
Description: Open for lunch and dinner. Perfect for couples, small groups and special occasions. Cozy ambiance, great music and incredible food. .
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Located just across the street form La Merced, easy walk from Central Park. Feels like a small French bistro. Service efficient and friendly though slightly rushed, probably because the place is very busy. Food is VERY good; basic selection of wines but quite fine. Definitely worth going back. Like many places in Antigua the restaurant offers free WiFi as you wait for your meal - nice bonus.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,348)

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Overall, the food was fantastic and prepared very well. In my group, I was able to sample a few different items and all were very tasty. The lomito beef with the chipotle sauce was great and cooked exactly the way I had asked. The beef stew was delicious and the meat was extremely tender and melted in my mouth.

The restaurant is not very big and the tables are very close together. As the evening went on and more people came to wait, it got noisy and hard to move around once we decided to go. I felt like I was in the conversation with the tables right next to us. The amount of people coming to the restaurant led to another negative for me. After our table was cleared and we were still enjoying our drinks, our waitress asked us to hurry up and leave because there were a lot of people waiting. We were slightly annoyed by this because we were paying customers and were still planning to get desert. Obviously this place is popular and deserving of a high ranking because of the quality of the food, but to be pushed out the door was not a good way for us to end our meal there. Lucky for the restaurant, the desert we ordered (creme brulee) was amazing and some of the best I have ever tried.

When I think about the overall experience of the restaurant, I feel that it does not deserve to be rated as the number one restaurant (currently as of September 2013) in Antigua. It has great food, not that much of a selection (5 entrees) and is slightly cramped for space. This is definitely a good option that I will probably give another chance, but not quite what I was expecting.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Excellent restaurant.
Was a little bit apprehensive with the '1st on trip advisor' on the board of the entrance (sorry but someplace can lack of quality after such award)
Wasn't disappoint at all.
Food was great (French fries with home made ketchup are splendid the creme brûlée is perfect)
A great value!
The waitress was lovely.
PS:We have seen a terrible guest, rude who asked her several things e.g. To put the red wine in the fridge (just this proves he was a fool!) she was polite with him (I restrain myself for telling her how an idiot he was!)

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Wow! Afrer all the tipical food what a refreshing change! Amazing food, great service and the perfect place for a romantic dinner! We had a great time, the place is super cozy. Dont miss the strawberry margarita!! Ymm

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Best meal we had in all of Guatemala. It has a romantic atmosphere and great wine. If you are in Antigua and want to treat yourself this is the place to go. It is more expensive than most in the area but considering the exchange rate it is still a great deal.