“"Extraordinary View"”
Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
Ranked #6 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Nassau, New Providence Island
“"Extraordinary View"”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I recently just came back from Guatemala on a Spanish Immersion Program... and during our visit to Guatemala we stopped in El Hato to teach the local children there... I must say that it was a joy-filled experience. After teaching, My group and I ate lunch at "Earth Lodge".... the view was soooo spectacular and the people there are soo friendly..... and an added plus.. the food is delicious!!!... Please visit whenever your in Guatemala.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We were at the Earth Lodge for the day, we did not spend the night. But we did take a 20 minute shuttle ride (Q20 per person) from Antigua to the end of the road where you need to walk down a steep hill to the property. My 4-year-old boys handled the walk just fine. Regarding the shuttle, our shuttles to and from the Lodge were at least 10 minutes late.
We grabbed lunch then headed down to the play area. My pesto avocado grilled cheese was delicious as well as their homemade guacamole. My husbands bacon sandwich was ok. Our kids enjoyed their fruit smoothie. Prices were reasonable.
My kids loved the play area. Where else are you going to find a play area with a view of Antigua valley and three volcanoes? It's a safe play structure with an adjacent, small sand area. Right next to it are hammocks in the shade - a perfect place for mom and dad to hang out! There are also outside toys that were available for the kids to use. We intended on being there for an hour or so and were there for most of the afternoon.
Leave your sandals or fancy shoes at home. Leave your stroller at home too. The bathrooms were decent. It's a lot warmer at the Lodge than I expected so make sure to dress in layers and remember the sunscreen. Plan to stay for the afternoon. The atmosphere is very casual and relaxing and the hammocks are conducive to lounging if the kids are having fun. The owner is very welcoming and the other guests are fun to chat with.
Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This place was a welcome place to recharge after all the hustle and bustle of Antigua. I came here after spending a month in Antigua and was so glad I did! The first time was just a night, but came back 2 weeks later because it was so awesome. The views are amazing, the people there are incredibly nice, and the food was delicious (probably the first time since entering Guatemala that my stomach felt normal!). It's easy to spend time relaxing undisturbed or find other traveler's to hang out with. Sometimes you can even see Volcan Fuego smoking off in the distance. I'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Great place to relax in western still ambient. The service is excellent, kitchen clean. You can walk around in the mountains, or just swing in hummock.. The library has some good English books and Lonely Planet guides of America countries.

Stayed July 2014
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was my second visit to Earth Lodge, and both were great experiences. The best parts:
-It is extremely close to Antigua, but is a world away. Literally a 15-minute ride up the mountain and you find yourself on the mountainside surrounded by avocado trees, amazing gardens, and an awesome view of the volcanos and the valley below. It is especially stunning at sunrise and after dark, when the valley is filled with sparkling lights from the city.
-The food is quite good overall; the vegetarian dinners are generally great. I even bought the cookbook on my first visit to recreate some of them at home. They are simple, fresh, and hearty.
-I've stayed in the A-frames and the Cabana de la Tierra. The A-frames are rustic but the bed was comfortable and they did the job. I preferred the newer cabin, which has it's own hammock and bathroom and is really spacious and beautiful.
-It's a great place to just relax for a day or two, to read, pet the resident dogs and cat, take in the view. There is hiking (which I haven't done), but other than that, there are not tons of "activities" if you are looking for that, and it's not so easy to go back and forth to Antigua. (The ride is short, but the 10-minute hike is steep and can be tricky for those not adjusted to the altitude.) But they do have activities, like music on some Sundays, and I was able to take a really relaxing and awesome yoga class with Mo one morning. It was free and within view of the volcanos and a really nice way to start the day!
-Hot showers and plenty of blankets of the beds. Key when it gets cool at night.

Some things you should know:
-It is a natural setting, which means you may find bugs in the bathroom, spiders on the path, the occasional snake on a tree, etc. The place is cleaned regularly and well kept up, but these things happen.
-Travelers come and go and hang out, and the vibe of the place can change based on who's there. I was settled outside enjoying the quiet, and a group of three settled in next to me for hours of cards and smoking. I just moved inside, away from them, but you have to be a little flexible in this way.
-As I said above, it is not the easiest journey back-and-forth to Antigua, so I recommend you come up for a few days to relax. If you want to tour Antigua, stay in Antigua.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank mmb2323
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Earth Lodge. 12 Minutes from the super city of Antigua, Guatemala, you find nestled away on a mini mountain top, a refuge that is almost one of a kind. It works because the young family that built it, the staff that staff it, the visitors who visit it, all come together to make it a place of joy and family style relaxation. Pick one of the dozen or so hammocks, one of the many trails, the game room, the recreation area, or hang out in your extremely comfortable, immaculate, very reasonably priced casitas. The views cannot be be, the guests will be from all over the world, the food cannot be beaten by some of Antigua's finest restaurants. You will find whatever you want at The Earth Lodge, and you will meet some fantastic new friends.

Room Tip: You really cannot go wrong, whether you want a simple clean room for one, a beautiful two bed area f...