“A dream come true!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
Ranked #3 of 102 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Los Angeles, California
“A dream come true!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you want peacefulness, good views, vegetarian food that's delicious, and great hospitality then this place is calling your name! About 20 minutes away from Antigua proper, you get the best of both worlds: city life in Antigua during the day and tranquility in the evening. The owners and the staff are VERY friendly and knowledgeable! The grounds are beautiful and the cabins are cozy.
I wish I had the opportunity to stay in their famous treehouse -- next time! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants a unique experience in Guatemala!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Well I'm from Guatemala and somebody recommended the place. Its a great place if you are into nature and green, its a great place to rest and forget about everything! The staff its great, very nice owners and volunteers

TO DO
There's not much to do around but they have a great selection of movies, books and board games you can use. There's a computer and WIFI. There's also hiking trails and a temazcal (sauna). All these with no extra cost.

FOOD
The food is really gooood! But its kinda expensive though, its about Q40-60 ($5-7), in quetzales its expensive :P... Drinks are between Q25 and up. ($3 and up)

ROOMS
I rented the Canopy Cabin wich is very cozy and nice, they share a bathroom with 2 other cabins and these are pretty neat. The prices are great. I would've loved to try the Tree House

GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS
Bring a lantern and mosquito repelent. Its not a place for senior people (unless their physical condition is great) because there's an uphill road you have to walk to get to the lodge and cannot bring a vehicle.

Room Tip: Recommended Tree House or the Canopy Cabins.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great and tranquil place. Awesome views and a good vibe. Nice, helpful staff, cosy cabins, morning yoga and free sauna.

The food here is really good but also quite pricy for Guatemalan standards. There aren't really other options for food around and no kitchen to use at the Earth Lodge so you depend on their pricy (but good!) restaurant.
The dinners at 65Q were super good and you can normally get seconds. Breakfast and lunch was too expensive and in my opinion falsely advertised when for example the "HUGE bowl of yoghurt and granola" barely was what I'd call big. Their porridge is the best I've ever had!

The wifi is ridiculously slow but you wouldn't wanna spend your time online when staying at this awesome place anyway. I recommend you have your further travels planned and arranged before coming here so you don't rely on an annoying Internet connection.

All in all a very recommendable place. Especially if you enjoy tranquility and are okay with a food budget of 150+ Quetzales per day

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

My son and I had the pleasure of spending two days and nights at the Earthlodge in early June 2013. I had seen the Earthlodge in the Moon guidebook to Guatemala and it sounded interesting so I looked them up online and reserved the Deluxe Tree Cabin for a Friday and Saturday night. We spent our first two nights in Antigua and then took a shuttle, arranged through Earthlodge, up the hill with a group of pre-med students who were also staying there. It is a bit isolated but that is part of the charm of the place. We found the tree cabin to be very clean and comfortable. The only minor issue was while we were there a torrential downpour hit and because there is a tree trunk going through the cabin there was some water leakage into the cabin. In the morning I had moved the pillows from my bed to the bench next to the tree to write in my journal while staring out the window at the gorgeous view. We were up at the lodge when the rain hit and when I returned to the room one of the pillows was completely soaked and the other one damp on one corner. Not a big deal as I was able to get dry pillow cases for the slightly damp pillow.

The food was outstanding and I feel reasonably priced for the quality. We enjoyed the family style dinners on Friday and Saturday nights. Breakfast and lunch were ordered off the menu and were equally as delicious. The staff was friendly and helpful. One day we decided to hike around the hills near the property. We were given a map and directions on where we could hike. We took in some gorgeous views of the area although we did run into a couple of dogs on the trail who weren't happy with us being there. After we moved through the dog's territory we were OK but we picked up a couple of "walking" sticks just in case. We hiked a fair distance back into the hills and became a little lost- we could have backtracked but instead we kept going and eventually ran into some people working to clear a patch of hillside. They gave us directions to get back and we chose a trail to avoid the dogs.

I would definitely recommend the Earthlodge and would love to stay there again if my travels bring me back to Guatemala. A couple of caveats though for potential visitors. First, it is bit of a steep hill to get into and out of the property from where the shuttle drops you off. Not a problem if you're used to carrying a backpack but potentially an issue for some. Also, because of the hillside location there are quite a few stairs to some of the cabins. To our tree cabin there was rather steep set of stairs to access the cabin. Also, that particular cabin doesn't have a private bathroom so it means climbing up and down the stairs to use the facilities. There are lots of activities to do at the Earthlodge- games, reading, conversation, chilling in a hammock or deck chair, etc. but if you're a Type A needs to be active during the day you may want to think about what else you're going to do other than hiking or you may go a bit stir crazy. Our two night stay was perfect for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dale M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a hip destination for hippies and those searching for a day out of Antigua. Great views and fun games around the property. The housing however was dirty and smelled like mold. We ended up pulling the mattress out to the deck to sleep until it began to rain. Due to the isolation the establishment also ensures you will have to buy all meals from them which are tasty but considerably more expensive than in town. We were going to stay 3 nights but left after 2 (couldn't cancel our 2nd night due to needing 24 hr notice to do so.)

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank FL1215
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of Earth Lodge, we are sorry you didn't fully enjoy your stay. It is very unfortunate that you didn't simply tell us about the room, we would've been happy to move you to another room and clean the room you were in if you thought it was not clean. Unfortunately this time of year due to the rain, things tend to get a bit musty, but we try to remedy this as soon as we know. We always strive to make our guests happy and communication from our guests is vital in order to do this. Our food is more expensive than Antigua for sure, but we are not trying to compete with the local restaurants and due to our remote location, things simply cost more to get here.
We will take your comments about the room into consideration, thank you again.
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The food was fantastic and very reasonably priced. I was so pleased with the vegetarian selections! And the baked goods. And the bar! The beds were extremely comfortable - and I stayed in the dorm. Worth going even just for the day / evening for food and views. 9.5/10

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Just spent a lovely weekend at Earth Lodge after a crazy week in Guatemala City. It was a great experience overall- the staff were all very friendly and were very patient through an extended correspondence to make my reservation. Everything was very organized, beautiful setting, great hiking trails just up the hill, delicious food, friendly crowd, and super clean housing and bathrooms. My favorite part was the family style dinners; travelling alone it was easy to meet and chat with people.

Room Tip: I stayed in the tree cabin one night and one of the canopy cabins the other night- both of which wer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo