“Great getaway from Antigua with awesome view”
Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
Ranked #7 of 118 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After spending a few days in Antigua, we were looking for a quite place. We found a flyer of this beautiful Eco minded lodge. The view is spectacular, the owners and volunteers were very friendly. We just booked one night, but wanted to stay longer. Even though they were fully booked, they pitched up a tent for us. All facilities were well maintained and clean, the food and drinks healthy and fresh. If you want to escape the crowds from Antigua, this is a good place to go.

Ps, there is no swimming pool nor a fitness centre, but I couldn't deselect them in the rating:)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisettesurfs

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Friends had recommended Earth Lodge as a "Must do" whilst in Antigua. We decided to give it a go and were not disappointed. I think it is safe to say that it is one of our favourite places that we have visited during our time in Guatemala.

Booking was really easy. We emailed Earth Lodge and they were quick to respond and their emails had a welcoming, friendly tone to them. We were lucky to be able to book the Delux Tree Cabin which has floor to ceiling windows and amazing views. I say lucky as I really would recommend booking in advance as all rooms get booked up quickly. We chose to pay via paypal and this was also quick and easy. Earth Lodge simply send you a payment request and off you go.

You can chose what time you want to go to the Lodge and this is also super easy too. The Lodge runs a reasonably priced shuttle service. You can simply let the guys know when you would like to be collected, and at which of their collection points and that is that.

If you stay the night (you can just visit for the day) there is a set vegetarian, family style meal. I was a bit dubious about this as A) I like to have the choice of what I eat/what am paying for, and B) I'm a bit fussy and was concerned I might not like it. It was so not something I needed to worry about. The food was delicious, so so good. There was great variety to suit everyone and plenty of it. Great value for money. On Saturday there is a meat option for a small additional cost.

The Earth Lodge overlooks the valley between the volcanos Agua, Fuego and Acatenango and is just stunning. As soon as we got there we felt relaxed and at home. The staff are wonderful. Friendly, helpful and welcoming without being over the top. We really couldn't have been happier with our room. It was excellent. Really clean and the bed was very comfortable.

On the Sunday there is live music and a bbq (with meat this time). The food was again delicious and it was wonderful to chill out in a hammock in the sun whilst listening to the music.

Enjoy your stay at Earth Lodge :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We are in Guatemala for volunteer work and on Sunday we decided to pay a visit to Earth Lodge. We called them and took their shuttle and the last 300 meter you walk to their spit. Absolutely great views and very relaxing. Nice BBQ food and some nice life music. Dan the guitarist shared the ride up the place with us.
A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed in the deluxe tree house which was glass fronted, floor to ceiling with amazing views of 3 volcanoes including the smoking Fuego. I had to keep pinching myself as a sat in the rustic 2 storey treehouse. For me that was the attraction - it depends what you call basic. I loved it, it was clean, perfect for 3 nights, really nicely done with fab views. The bathrooms and toilets were absolutely fine, you almost felt like you were in the jungle. The staff were really friendly and couldn't be more helpful. The family meal every night is a great excuse to catch up with other travellers and swap stories, not to mention the food. Its sooo good and there is so much of it you can barely move afterwards. If you are feeling energetic there are some nice walks locally, they take around and hour or so and you can walk to a waterful and say hi to the locals as you go. If you want to relax there are plenty of hammocks and a sauna. I really can't fault the place, you get what it says on the tin. If you want 5 star luxury, book into the Radisson but if you want a sense of adventure then book here. Excellent value too.

Room Tip: Try and get the deluxe treehouse or treehouse. Both are good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place was awesome. Most wonderful and friendly staff, amazing food, sweet dogs, and incredible views. Transport from Antigua was easy and convenient. I could have stayed forever. Nothing more needs to be said... go there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you so much for the amazing review!! We hope to see you again at Earth Lodge soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

There are so many reasons that made my stay at this place unpleasant that I do not know where I should start from.

Let's start with the habitations. First of all, the cabins smell bad. And then, they are so cheap: very small, poor quality wood, very bad looking corrugated roof, low quality mattress, sheets and blankets made ​​of synthetic fibres, no curtain, etc. Do not expect a big adventure neither: only one is hanged in a tree.

The location could be very nice, in the middle of the fields, in the hills, facing the volcanoes, close to Antigua. But it is not! If you fear being away from the cities, no worries here: you will keep an eye on it (view on Jocotenango and part of Antigua) and catch night and day the background noises of the valley. However, if you walk around you will quickly find how it could have been much nicer to build that place in a quiet zone without visual and auditive pollution (no need to walk very far to find a real paradise).

Of course I do not understand comments on the food. It looks like the cabins: very cheap, no (or almost) meat, nothing subtle. Just edible: it remind me the taste of our experimental meals when we were penniless students.

But to my opinion, the main drawback of this place is the way it is run by “volunteers”. They were at least 5 or 6 or even more “taking care” of the place. None of them were paid (except the cooker I've been told). In other countries, that would be qualified as illegal labour. The volunteers come from north America or Europe and hang around all day.

So instead of providing a real service, they occupy space and form a group that is trying to kill time... between two orders they give to real employees. Ah, yes, because that little army is not in charge for menial tasks such as household: "chicitas" are here for that (and maybe people do become lazy when they do not get paid?).
For dinner, they even move guests off one table of the restaurant so they can be together without "intruders" (that's for real!). The guest house is their field, the message is clear: you guests have nothing to do here.

And the owners? We have not seen them, they were in town for several days (new baby coming).

What I hate most of all is to try to make us believe that this can contribute to local development (and moreover that we should give them extra money for local development). Originally the volunteers had to teach in a nearby school. But this is over, if I understood well, no one really volunteers for the villagers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank zesite
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I loved this place so much, it was one of the real highlights of my trip to Guatemala. I was travelling by myself and the people at Earth Lodge were so friendly and lovely. I spent most of my time in a hammock, reading my book, sunbathing and eating. The food is amazing, especially the egg plant sandwich!! You can go for hikes around Earth Lodge which I did once. Other than that I enjoyed lazing around doing not a lot. On the Sunday they had a live singer and a lovely BBQ. I stayed in a nice dorm and very cheap. When I go back with friends I will stay in a cabin or the tree house, they looked fantastic. If your going to Guatemala and want to spend some time chilling out with lovely people and relaxing in a hammock this is the place to go. I cant wait to go back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo