“Earth Lodge is a very tranquil and relaxing environment w/GREAT views!”
Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
Ranked #7 of 118 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My amigas and I had a very fun experience at Earth Lodge! We listened to Jueves perform live music and played "Spanlish" Scrabble while viewing the beautiful Guatemalan views from our table and hammock. I would definitely recommend hiking up to the Earth Lodge for the experience. My friends have gone a couple of times and felt that they needed to take me during my visit from the States and they were right...it was worth it :)

Room Tip: From what my friends told me about when they hung out there prior to taking me to Earth Lodge...they...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tomuchpriss

Reviewed November 29, 2011

It's a nice place, you'll love the views. The family-style dinners were very good when we stayed there. Go up there (30Q p.p. one-way with taxi from Antigua) if you want a few days of relaxation, that's what we did

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dopedog
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I & our two boys (ages 9 and 12) stayed for two nights at Earth Lodge in the Delux Tree Cabin. (Expect to hear the pitter-patter of little animal feet, as well as other assorted sounds provided by mother nature including acorns falling on the roof at night.) My boys LOVED the place - and my husband and I did, too. It was a great "soft adventure" for our family - just outside of lovely Antigua. The drive in was an experience in itself if you're not used the roads in Guatemala! The hike down the hill was a bit challenging with our bags (carry-on, roller type suitcases). But we did it. If you can bring a backpack instead of luggage - do it. Plan to arrive during the daylight hours.The rural setting with the views of the landscape and volcanoes is outstanding.

We enjoyed the freshly prepared, healthy meals. The portions served were very large, however. Our second night there, I requested that the staff split one of the dinner portions into two meals for us, which they were happy to do. If you, like us, will have kids with you, you might want to bring some snacks with you as dinner is served late in the evening (around 8 pm).

My older son and husband built a fire in the lodge fireplace on our second evening, and also fired up the Mayan Sauna during our stay. We all enjoyed playing Ping-Pong, Uno, Horseshoes, Corn Hole and hiking together - this is awesome in my opinion - when kids' worlds these days are full of TV, Computers, DS games, XBox, IPods etc... What a treat to get away from all that. If you love nature and the outdoors - enjoy hiking, camping, backpacking... you'll LOVE Earth Lodge. We'll be back...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sjmtmm
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed here over three days in October and we enjoyed the lodge. One night was spent in the tree house, and two were in the deluxe tree house. The staff were helpful, the rooms were interesting and unique. The food was fantastic. We especially liked the views of Fuego erupting in the evenings.

The shuttle is expensive if you are only two people - the local bus is much better value in that respect.

Room Tip: The tree house isn't as good as the deluxe tree house in our opinion (you get a better view and...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank serhorse
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This is a beautiful place about 40minutes from Antigua. You need to go down walking, so it's not suitable for older people and if you are not fit you will not enjoy having to go back and forth to Antigua.
Ideal to relax for a few days though, if you want to do nothing and chill. The cabins are lovely with a beautiful view.
This is a place for international backpackers though, the staff is foreign and barely speaks spanish, so if you want to be between tourists that's fine, don't expect a real Guatemalan experience

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tdmpauline
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I've been meaning to write a review of Earth Lodge for some time now & figured, after reading more recent reviews (and more importantly the owners response), it was time to do so.

Earth Lodge is a wonderful place. It's nestled high in the hills overlooking one of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen. Waking up every morning in a treehouse with THAT view is a memory that will stay with me forever!!
We were picked up in a van & the drive up into the hills was equally memorable. Really ehxilarating!!
While we stayed we had some great food, from the communal dinners every night (tasty) to the awesome bacon sandwich (super-tasty) & homemade granola that I had for breakfast one day.
The dogs that lived there were adorable, as was the donkey/mule. The baby tarantula inside our treehouse wasn't so nice but fortunately my partner found out about it long after we'd left!!

Now the not so good stuff. While the owner (who we eventually met one night) was lovely some of the regular staff that manned the desk were a bit too arrogant for our liking. I understand that it's a very chilled out spot but felt on a number of occasions that they were trying a bit too hard to be cool. I'm a young guy so this isn't some out-of-touch-with-the-youth comment. It was a genuine concern after our first night & my partner & I both picked up on it on a number of occasions.

If your going to refer to how glowing your reviews are in guide books you really need to make sure complains are addressed properly, rather than suggest people stay elsewhere.

I'd have given Earth Lodge five stars but realize when my travels were over that a little effort was lacking when comparing it to other hostels. Attentive staff members can make a world of difference.

Room Tip: The treehouse & dorm nearby are a bit of a walk from the HOT showers. If you want to be near HOT...
Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark73g
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Hi there,
Thanks for your review, I'm glad you liked the lodge, food, and accommodations.
I would like to address a few points that you mentioned, namely about the staff. First of all, I wish you had written this closer to your stay as opposed to 11 months later, so I could speak to the staff that I had at the time. My reception staff is made up of travelers who volunteer here for usually a couple months at a time and then move on. I'm a bit confused as you refer to my staff as "too cool" but then say they have a bad attitude which is unfortunate really. As I've mentioned in several of my replies, I try my best to hire friendly staff. Your girlfriend wrote a review of Earth Lodge on TripAdvisor and said that you guys felt my staff was partying too much, and since you were on a more romantic getaway, maybe that explains why you didn't quite gel with them, and maybe that explains the "too cool" comment. ... Regardless... I guess you didn't get along with my staff at the time which again is unfortunate and for that I apologize.
I only referred to our reviews in guide books when I was addressing the person who was upset with our vegetarian dinners....in every guide book/flier/website this fact is mentioned, which is why I suggested that this shouldn't be surprising.
I take complaints very seriously and try to address any situation that can be remedied, whether it be with staff, accommodations, food, etc...luckily I get very few of them, whether it is via TripAdvisor, email or face to face.
Thanks again for your review,
Briana

Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed in the treehouse which was fantastic. Great views, privacy, serenity, the lot. The internal and external communal areas were both social and private, comfortable with a good chilled out atmosphere and good wifi. The food was great. You can get the evening meal which was a veggie platter and then there is a lunch menu and breakfast menu with more selection. The hostel arranged the transfer for us from Antigua which cost us 10Q each (about a quid) and it takes about 20 minutes or so.

Our only problem with the entire stay which unfortunately left a bitter taste in our mouths was the poor attitude of one of the members of staff. She paraded around the place like she was Debbie Harry who confused being ‘uber cool’ with being plain rude. My wife asked where the showers were only to be talked at like a complete moron. What a ridiculous thing to ask in a hostel – how dare we!! No thank you’s or goodbye’s when we left either, just slammed our change down on the desk and promptly returned to her facebook. We wrote to the hostel owner after who apologised but it’s just a shame that’s our lasting memory of the place when in fact it is very beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose the Treehouse
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple