“Relaxing three days”
Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
Ranked #4 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Australia
“Relaxing three days”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed here over three days in October and we enjoyed the lodge. One night was spent in the tree house, and two were in the deluxe tree house. The staff were helpful, the rooms were interesting and unique. The food was fantastic. We especially liked the views of Fuego erupting in the evenings.

The shuttle is expensive if you are only two people - the local bus is much better value in that respect.

Room Tip: The tree house isn't as good as the deluxe tree house in our opinion (you get a better view and...
1 Thank serhorse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This is a beautiful place about 40minutes from Antigua. You need to go down walking, so it's not suitable for older people and if you are not fit you will not enjoy having to go back and forth to Antigua.
Ideal to relax for a few days though, if you want to do nothing and chill. The cabins are lovely with a beautiful view.
This is a place for international backpackers though, the staff is foreign and barely speaks spanish, so if you want to be between tourists that's fine, don't expect a real Guatemalan experience

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tdmpauline
London
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I've been meaning to write a review of Earth Lodge for some time now & figured, after reading more recent reviews (and more importantly the owners response), it was time to do so.

Earth Lodge is a wonderful place. It's nestled high in the hills overlooking one of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen. Waking up every morning in a treehouse with THAT view is a memory that will stay with me forever!!
We were picked up in a van & the drive up into the hills was equally memorable. Really ehxilarating!!
While we stayed we had some great food, from the communal dinners every night (tasty) to the awesome bacon sandwich (super-tasty) & homemade granola that I had for breakfast one day.
The dogs that lived there were adorable, as was the donkey/mule. The baby tarantula inside our treehouse wasn't so nice but fortunately my partner found out about it long after we'd left!!

Now the not so good stuff. While the owner (who we eventually met one night) was lovely some of the regular staff that manned the desk were a bit too arrogant for our liking. I understand that it's a very chilled out spot but felt on a number of occasions that they were trying a bit too hard to be cool. I'm a young guy so this isn't some out-of-touch-with-the-youth comment. It was a genuine concern after our first night & my partner & I both picked up on it on a number of occasions.

If your going to refer to how glowing your reviews are in guide books you really need to make sure complains are addressed properly, rather than suggest people stay elsewhere.

I'd have given Earth Lodge five stars but realize when my travels were over that a little effort was lacking when comparing it to other hostels. Attentive staff members can make a world of difference.

Room Tip: The treehouse & dorm nearby are a bit of a walk from the HOT showers. If you want to be near HOT...
Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark73g
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Hi there,
Thanks for your review, I'm glad you liked the lodge, food, and accommodations.
I would like to address a few points that you mentioned, namely about the staff. First of all, I wish you had written this closer to your stay as opposed to 11 months later, so I could speak to the staff that I had at the time. My reception staff is made up of travelers who volunteer here for usually a couple months at a time and then move on. I'm a bit confused as you refer to my staff as "too cool" but then say they have a bad attitude which is unfortunate really. As I've mentioned in several of my replies, I try my best to hire friendly staff. Your girlfriend wrote a review of Earth Lodge on TripAdvisor and said that you guys felt my staff was partying too much, and since you were on a more romantic getaway, maybe that explains why you didn't quite gel with them, and maybe that explains the "too cool" comment. ... Regardless... I guess you didn't get along with my staff at the time which again is unfortunate and for that I apologize.
I only referred to our reviews in guide books when I was addressing the person who was upset with our vegetarian dinners....in every guide book/flier/website this fact is mentioned, which is why I suggested that this shouldn't be surprising.
I take complaints very seriously and try to address any situation that can be remedied, whether it be with staff, accommodations, food, etc...luckily I get very few of them, whether it is via TripAdvisor, email or face to face.
Thanks again for your review,
Briana
West Yorkshire
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed in the treehouse which was fantastic. Great views, privacy, serenity, the lot. The internal and external communal areas were both social and private, comfortable with a good chilled out atmosphere and good wifi. The food was great. You can get the evening meal which was a veggie platter and then there is a lunch menu and breakfast menu with more selection. The hostel arranged the transfer for us from Antigua which cost us 10Q each (about a quid) and it takes about 20 minutes or so.

Our only problem with the entire stay which unfortunately left a bitter taste in our mouths was the poor attitude of one of the members of staff. She paraded around the place like she was Debbie Harry who confused being ‘uber cool’ with being plain rude. My wife asked where the showers were only to be talked at like a complete moron. What a ridiculous thing to ask in a hostel – how dare we!! No thank you’s or goodbye’s when we left either, just slammed our change down on the desk and promptly returned to her facebook. We wrote to the hostel owner after who apologised but it’s just a shame that’s our lasting memory of the place when in fact it is very beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose the Treehouse
1 Thank Thabs_n_Mags
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed at the earth lodge a little while ago with my girlfriend. We stayed in the Deluxe Cabin which was absolutely beautiful. The only downside was that it was terribly cold that weekend and the cabin didn't seem to retain any heat whatsoever. That being said, the staff were friendly and outgoing; sort of. The one thing that we found really frustrating was that you have to eat the food that they are preparing if you want to stay there. That would have been fine with me if I was vegetarian and I was not allergic to almost everything on the plate. So I ended up having to pay for a meal that I couldn't even eat. The environment while friendly, seemed also to have an underlying air of snobbishness. Just cause you are vegetarians and you live in the mountains doesn't mean that you are the bees knees. Please get over yourselves. The shuttle up there was a rip off and on the way back the driver charged us twice what they said it would cost us and the shuttle was associated with the lodge. Frustrating. . .

Room Tip: Deluxe Cabin has the best view.
1 Thank christmasinbogota
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
I'm sorry you didn't quite enjoy yourself at Earth Lodge. I would like to respond to a few things you mentioned. First of all, if you had food allergies, we would have happily worked around them when preparing our dinner. It is unfortunate that you didn't tell our staff about this as we often have guests with allergies and will cook other things if we can. Secondly, we only request that guests pay for dinners when coming on either Friday or Saturday nights as those nights are our busiest and we want our rooms to be taken by those that will eat dinner. This is very common in lodge type places especially the more remote places where we need to know how many people to cook for. We have many guests that are not vegetarian, yet love our food and most come away saying that they were impressed.
The snobbishness remark is both rude and unfounded...few of us actually are vegetarians, we only make vegetarian dinners (and often times have meat options at dinner as well as breakfast and lunch) and I pride myself on having friendly staff. Perhaps next time you should not come to a place that is widely known (in every guide book) for it's delicious vegetarian dinners if it somehow seems to offend you?
I'm sorry if you were overcharged for the shuttle, this very rarely happens and I will address this with my driver.
San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala
Reviewed October 11, 2011

As usual our recent visit to the Earth Lodge did not disappoint! We'd been here 3 years ago for Canadian thanksgiving and decided to return again this year. We stayed in the Buena Vista cabin, which used to be Brianna and Drews old home. It was beautiful, clean and had plenty of room to sleep 5 of our closest friends. The thanksgiving feast was amazing as usual, and the crowd was very chilled out and fun. We'll definitely be coming back sooner rather than later! Thanks Drew and Brianna!

Room Tip: The Buena Vista is large and has it's own bathroom facilities with hot and cold water.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trish V
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Bri and Dave run an incredible place on an avocado farm in the hills of El Hato, 20 minutes from Antigua. There are breathtaking views of three volcanoes from every point on the property, which is excellent for hiking, chilling out, relaxing, playing board games and meeting new friends. All of the food is outstanding and fresh, with the vegetarian family-style dinners as the most memorable experiences. Given the intimate nature of the place, it is easy to make new friends and impossible to say goodbye. I would go back any chance I get. They have pickup service from Antigua, so it is easy to get here. Pay them a visit, pet their mascots (Lola and Rufus) and tell them I say hi! -Hari PS - they even have free wifi and a ridiculous collection of movies.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo