“Cute hotel but paper thin walls and a barking dog will not allow you to sleep.”
Review of Hotel Lo De Bernal

Hotel Lo De Bernal
Ranked #12 of 131 Antigua B&B and Inns
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We had high hopes for this hotel after reading the review and seeing the photos. Our room was tiny but I had heard the 2nd floor was quieter, so we compromised on this... still there was a barking dog that kept us awake truly throughout the night. I even went down to the front desk and they couldn't really do anything about it.... also the internet connection was very slow. very disappointing. :(

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hebrew first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I truly fell in love with Guatemala when I arrived in Antigua. All i can say is WOW what an amazingly breathtaking place. From the architecture to the food to the people, what a great place to escape to. I finally get that I don't have to have be on a beach to feel like I am on a vacation or to be in paradise. This Hotel Lo De Bernal is the perfect place to stay. The service was exceptional, the room was fantastic, clean, roomy. The bathroom was beautiful and the shower had really good water pressure. I don't know what more I could ask for in a hotel. It is also only about 10 minutes from La Reunion golf course- one of the best golf courses in the world!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank CaseyMKnox
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2010

This hotel was horrible because you can't sleep at night because of the rooster that lives next door. My wife and I decided to stay here after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. I have a little less faith in tripadvisor after staying here. Not sure how people didn't mention the rooster that started crowing at 3:30AM both nights we stayed there. I say started, because it would resume crowing about every 20-30 minutes all the way until about 6:30AM. It was horrible!!!!

The deal is, there's a family that lives next door to the hotel, and they have a bunch of farm animals in their back yard. We complained after the first night and the hotel management said they couldn't do anything about the neighbors animals. After the second night of it happening we demanded that they move us. They did and we ended up saying at El Convento which is an amazing hotel.

Also, just so you know, the animals don't just make noise at night. The rooster crows all night and their dog whines and barks all day. And its not like you can be moved to another quieter room in the hotel. We tried.

There's no way I would ever recommend this place to a friend and I hope if you're going there and hoping for a peaceful night's rest, that you think twice before staying here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JBfromNYC
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2010

When you first find the hotel in Antigua (a super fun, friendly place), you need to knock on an Oz-like trap door to be admitted, but once you're in, you find a truly lovely hotel. The front desk staff (while we were there, it was usually the same girl) are very nice and approachable, and clearly want you to have a great stay. The hotel is located right in the middle of the tourist area of Antigua, and you can walk less than 20 minutes and find a CRAZY market, churches, parks, and the people are super friendly. There are many people selling stuff, but a firm "no gracias" does the trick.

Breakfast is included, but you can pay extra (US$1) to add eggs to the meal-they were delicious. They serve other light food, but I'm pretty sure they get it delivered from somewhere else and just heat it up. There are tons of yummy restaurants in the area, and we just brought back food and beer to eat in their little courtyard eating area, which they're cool with.

We stayed on the first floor, so it was fairly noisy in the morning. We were awakened by a rooster each morning (we stayed 2 nights), and hotel staff start doing their thing pretty early. We slept well at night, so we were annoyed by the early rising- days in Guatemala start early, no matter where you are, so we just got up and started the day early with them.

The bathroom was tiny, but good enough, and the room was nice. There are TVs with satellite and free wifi. The front desk people will help you with everything.

If I go back to Antigua, I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank snigalis
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was so happy to have booked this hotel for my anniversary. Even though I had to book one day before due to my schedule conflicts, they were so fast to get back at me and arrange everything.

The entrance to the hotel consisted of a heavy wooden door which got me thinking whether I had made the right choice, but as soon as they opened it, my opinion changed immediately. I was greeted by Brenda which was so nice to us, and she showed us all the hotel (which is, let's not say small but cozy). She led us to our room which was the one with the huge windows, but we had no problem with privacy since they are tainted white so nobody can see inside but the light reached us perfectly.

We went to dinner late at night and we asked for some directions, Brenda not only gave us accurate ones but also recommended other two places in the category of the one we had planned, just in case...

At the next morning we went to have our breakfast and opted for the $1 egg which I think could have been better, I don't know maybe throw something else along with the eggs? But all in all the breakfast was very good. We went out for an hour long walk and enjoyed our time in beautiful Antigua. The only "however" I found was that when we came back it would have been a nice touch to have had our room fixed but it was as we had left it one hour ago... mmm my experience could have been a 6/5 instead.

When we left that morning we wanted a quiet place to watch a soccer game and Cesar managed to give us a couple very good places to do so... that went from very expensive places to Burger King... Talk About Options!!!! jajajaja!

I highly recommend it... I really do.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights. The first and third night we slept in the master suite room 201: The bedroom is amazing. The king size bed super cozy. Bathroom big. The only thing we didn´t like was that we could hear the cars on the street and the people knocking on the hotels´ door since it is always closed. The second night we slept in room 102: Very small but ok. Bathroom way too small. Only one window that faced the hall where everyone had to passed through in order to get to the kitchen or restaurant area. Not a good idea to stay in this one if you are planning to rest in the morning. Breakfast time ends at 10:30am. Can´t give any feedback in regards to the lunch or dinner. Breakfast was ok. For $1.00 more you can upgrade from continental to american breakfast (eggs and cereal). We do recommend this hotel because it is pretty cozy and beautiful but if you are a light sleeper you might want to check for other options.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MoniLei
Maryland
Reviewed October 1, 2009

My wife and I had a wonder ful time and we really felt at home. It is small but very charming and really gives you a genuine feel for Antigua. Highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple