“Nice place for tourists and locals alike.”
Review of Cafe Condesa

Cafe Condesa
Ranked #3 of 16 Dessert in Antigua
Cuisines: International, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Delicious, delectable, fresh, organic...everything homemade and locally sourced. Located on the Central Park of Antigua, Cafe Condesa has been serving locals, nationals and international tourists alike since 1993. It's three outdoor dining areas plus three indoor spaces provide a colonial setting in which to enjoy a meal or a snack. Breakfast is served all day long and our famous "bottomless" cup of 100% Antigua grown coffee has been a mainstay. Come early morning for breakfast, late morning for homemade chai and a muffin, lunchtime for a lovely salad and soup, late afternoon for coffee and cake, evening for a glass of wine and a quiche. A friendly waitstaff and a homey, relaxed atmosphere makes Cafe Condesa a home away from home. Three Cafe Condesa Express located around town, allow you to enjoy our many of our treats on the go.
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Cafe Condessa is located in the central park area, and is generally a nice place for breakfast, lunch or dessert. Good coffee, bread, daily specials and great dessert selection. Nice garden patio that does not get sun. Service can sometimes run a bit slow but this is common in Guatamala.

Ginger H, Owner at Cafe Condesa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thanks so much for your kind recommendation! We're glad you appreciate all the good items that we offer and we hope to see you on your next visit to the land of eternal spring....

Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Had my first breakfast here on a 3 week trip. Was probably the best breakfast of the trip. In fact I even went back the next morning. Great friendly staff who assisted my wife and I with our terrible Spanish.

Ginger H, Owner at Cafe Condesa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thanks so much for the recommendation!
We would be glad to have had you every single morning of your three week trip!
I hope you had a wonderful visit to Guatemala and I thank you for taking the time to tell folks about our breakfasts....
Many warm regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2014

The service was a little slow, but the food was good when it came. We ate here for a late breakfast/brunch. Two things to note: soy milk and gluten free pancakes available, both rarities in Antigua.

I´m glad you like the menu... did you notice our breakfast eggs are also home raised, free range and organic? We also have homemade chai tea..... all rarities around town right now.

I´m sorry the service was slow... I´m hoping we were packed and the kitchen was backed up.... that is understandable at certain times. If not, I deeply apologize and hope you´ll hold your waitress responsible for great service and let the manager know if it doesn't happen.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I have a question... did the service knock off two whole stars? I´m just curious as to why some folks give us great kudos (like having gluten free and lactose free options) and yet hold back the stars. I´d appreciate your letting me know.

Many warm regards from our lovely Antigua,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

For Guatemala, the cheesecake wasn't horrible. They may have used cottage cheese or something to make it a little lighter for the Guatemalans, but not bad. My cheesecake recipe makes their's taste like instant in the box, but what do you expect. Cheesecake isn't big here.

"Wasn't horrible"? Cheesecake IS big here. We sell thousands of cheesecakes (and cheese pies with fruit topping) a year. It might interest you to know that the cheesecake recipe is my Italian stepfather's.... New York all the way. Our lovely fresh cream and home style cream cheese is what makes it so unique. Cottage cheese hasn't every entered the Cafe, although we do get both a fresh farmer's cheese and a salt-free ricotta to make our herb-cheese spread.

You can bring me a piece of yours next time your in town and let me see which one I like best!

Warm regards from the Land of Eternal Spring,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have enjoyed many fine meals at the Cafe Condesa, located directly across the street from the Parque Central and have enjoyed the charm of each of their unique dining areas. (Don't forget to read the history behind it on the menu - it's very interesting).

Their homemade soups, salads and sandwiches, as well as vegetable omelets and other daily 'specials' - are always appetizing and fresh - not to mention the amazing cakes and desserts.

It's almost like a 'mini-headquarters' for Antigua as you enter through the bookstore where almost anything you'd like to know about Guatemala can be discovered. Beyond that the table and bulletin board area give you the feel of everyday life, with house rentals, brochures for trips and adventures, etc. all available free as you enter the spacious dining areas and gardens.

We started our New Year there with a bowl of baked potato soup which was one of the best I've ever had, along with their excellent turkey salad sandwich. My wife enjoyed the beet salad with goat cheese as well as a generous slice of one their many sumptuous cakes. It was a great way to end the old year and bring in the New as the crowds began to swell early up and down the streets around the Parque and Arco.

Of course, by later in the evening the crowd had became the largest I've seen in years here in Antigua. The fireworks in the air and the atmosphere of friendly celebration was unforgettable. The little sidewalk extension of the Condessa, called the Condessa Express, (for those in a hurry) was also crowded throughout the evening.

Try it for breakfast, lunch or dinner and you'll become a regular, too. It's definitely an impressive 'one of a kind'.

Ginger H, Owner at Cafe Condesa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

I can't thank you enough for your lovely review!
We appreciate your repeated patronage and are so glad you enjoy our varied menu....
We look forward to serving you again soon.
Warm regards,