“just ok”

Ranked #20 of 103 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Split, Croatia
“just ok”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

after checking prices around the town, i have realized it is quite expensive. 90Q for dorm bed is very expensive for Antigua. drinks in bar are also double price then other hostels. reception staff is friendly but that does not justify high prices.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Linz
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I stayed in Antigua for more than 5 weeks, and although I just stayed for two weeks at the hostel, I came there everyday to meet new people and becasue I became friends with the staff!! The rooms are clean (I saw somebody running around with at least a broom every two hours) The staff is very friendly and always knows the best locations to go out at night and in some cases even joins!! There is hot water in the showers from a hot water tank and not from those electrical heaters, which suck!! The food is really good although a little bit expensive. The breakfast is included and one can choose between six different kinds, so it never gets boring.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Jungle Hostel. Stayed for nearly two weeks. Wonderful service always. The food is great especially the breakfast thats included. The price is very affordable as well. I would recommend staying there to readers of this or friends of mine. I know i will be back in the near future and visiting the Jungle Hostel staff. :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We stayed at Jungle Party on account of various reviews and adverts in Guatemala.

Whilst it was clean and the food the good, the hostel was extremely noisy and the staff seemed to force a party every night. For example, on the Saturday night the place pumped, which is a given, however on the Sunday the staff pumped the music (the same CD on repeat) until late at night although no one was there and people were trying to watch movies.

There was also plastic on our beds which mean't that you couldn't move on your bed without making a noise and waking up the rest of the dorm.

Most people that we talked to moved out of the hostel as quickly as possible for the same reasons.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulPenn
niethivella, Manager at Jungle Party Hostal Club & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
We are called Jungle Party Hostel, our name says it all. Yes we host parties. Yes, we have music, some days is good; some days is bad. that is subjective to the taste I guess. . we are always open to put any music people likes, when they request; we have a very chill atmosphere during the day. We party from Wednesday to Saturday from 7:00pm until middle night. We really hope that people who wants to comes to stay enjoy their time and have fun. If people will expect to have a peaceful, quite place all the time, this is definitely not a realistic choice we are THE JUNGLE PARTY.
As for the plastic in our beds, the hostel is completely renovated and there are so many bed bugs in so many places to stay all over, that we are trying hard to to anything to protect our brand new mattresses for not having unwanted guess.
thank you for your review.
JPH
Chico, California
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I stayed in JP something like 18 nights . Not in one stretch though. I stayed, left town, then came back, left again and returned once more. I always had a good experience with everything from the food they served, sleeping situations and the social activities they put on.

I would stay out late and the door man would always promptly let me in regardless of the hour (it sucks being stuck outside at 4 a.m. in Antigua, but I never had that problem at JP).

Another thing that was nice was watching movies. When you travel you start to feel away and miss the things you have back home. And JP has a great selection of movies that will bring you back home for a few hours just to reboot. Though I do admit the movies may have stole me away from exploring for a day or two.

I also met some great people at JP. I think the hostel may be set up in a way that lets socializing be at its best because almost every night I was meeting people and drinking beers at the hostel then going out to the bars downtown. It was good times. I must have gone through something like five different groups of people that I hung out with. haha. They would leave, I would still be there. Then I would meet the next batch of travelers that came by. Still talk to a few of them actually.

Its funny too because when I left the hostel I moved in with a home stay though one of the language schools in town but I would still go to JP almost every night to have a drink before going to the bars downtown. It was a comforting place for someone traveling alone I guess.

I know this is a long review but my travel experience through Central America wouldn't have been the same without the Jungle Party Hostel and its employees. So I saw it fit to write them a review they deserve.

Go to Jungle Party and you wont be let down.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jangelotti
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Hello,

I have travelled to over 35 european countries and stayed in many many hostels. This was my frist (but not last) trip to central america. I stayed at 2 other hostels in Guatemala and this one was so fun I came back!.

The jungle party hostel has a special place in my heart. The place is very affordable (I mean it's a real bargain for those of us used to European hostel prices) and the breakfast is fantastic. Hostels usually include breakfast, but its usually no more than ceral, some granola and milk / orange drink (not orange juice, but the fake crappy stuff).

The jungle party hostel let's you order food off a menu and has a few different selections. I loved eat there. The food in general was good and very affordable and we usually ate at the hostel since we were having so much fun socializing in their common area. Theres 4 hammocks, and a whole bunch of bean bags and chairs kicking around to make sure you have room to socialize with your hostel mates.

Although they call it a jungle party, it's not some sort of frat house where you won't get a wink of sleep. If your looking for some sleep the staff closes the bar in the early evening and the party shifts to a night club / bar / hostel employees apartment. Compared to my travels in Europe, people get to bed on average a bit earlier at these hostels. Where as in many parts of Europe people are up til 4am pounding vodka.

They sometimes have locals hanging out there who are friends of hostel employees or hostel employees on there night off. So it actually offers a good chance to meet some locals. We met 2 VERY cool gals named Maria and Alicia, we have since become friends and chat regularly on our mobile phones despite me being all the way back in icy cold Canada.

The hostel has security cameras in the rooms with IR night vision. At first I was a little creeped out but then realized this was to make sure nobody steals. Which is great, people were leaving laptops lying around so there was a very safe feeling.

The hostel allows you to run a tab, so you can eat and drink at the hostel and pay on the way out. This minimizes trips to the bank machine! Their smoothies are amazing, the staff plays good music, and they even had a fire pit going for one of the nights we were there. There's a cute golden retriever that moaps around, he's really mellow must love his life as a lazy dog at the jungle party hostel.

Go and have fun, it's clean, fun and I really can't say anything bad about it. It's close to everything and a very good hostel to meet people. They have HOT showers and good working toilets.

I had so much fun that after visiting San Pedro I stopped by at the Jungle Party again. I had already seen what I needed to see in Antigua but we had SOOO much fun and met so many people, I chose to go back and shuttle directly to the airport from Antigua instead of going through Guatemala City. LOL All i did was hang out at this hostel because it was so fun and easy to meet people (which is why I stay at a hostel and not a cheap hotel, I work so budget isn't really an issue)

Drinks are cheap (paticularly mixed drinks), two types of beer on tap Mozza (sp) and Gallo. If you can handle dark beers I recommend the Mozza.

Free WiFi but no public use computers. Works fast enough.

GO and stay one night, if you don't like it leave... but I think you will like it, and will want to stay, you may not want to leave, I didn't. The Jungle Party hostel is my home base when i go back to Gautemala

See you in Feb 2012!!! I'll be there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank HotelsRboring
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Reviewed March 12, 2011

great place.. so near to everywhere i wanted to see...we had such a great time in antigua...our stay there was amazing with all the themed parties and the staff were so friendly...i will go back there..i hope soon. these girls should definately openn up another place in belize...thanks Alicia for all your help getting around...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends