“wonderful staff and great location”

Hotel Posada Dona Luisa
Ranked #51 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“wonderful staff and great location”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

As others have written, Orfa is wonderful. She pre-arranged for my airport pick up (37US) and it went very smoothly. She will make calls for you or find you the information on something if needed. Consuela is the cleaning person-she is sweet and does and excellent job. My room was number one-nearest the front desk as I was traveling alone. A little noisy but no problem sleeping. Byron and Fransico are the night guys-also friendly and always smiling. There is a great supermarket just around the corner-the outdoor kitchen may be used-it has everything you would need. A good sized fridge is there to store bottled waters or soda. Parque Centro is only 2 blocks away, the artisans market one block the other direction. While a small hotel the staff makes this hotel. They seem to really enjoy what they do and like keeping the people there happy. The room was cool at night for sleeping. The bath was small but had everything needed. The entire hotel was extremely clean. I was very pleased with my choice -my second visit to GT and Antigua. Cynthia Meyers

Room Tip: great views from second floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 60CynthiaM60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hebrew first
Sarasota, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Posada Dona Luisa was the first hotel we stayed in at the beginning of our trip to Guatemala. It was charming, quaint, pretty and had a great location. Orfa, the hotel manager, was so helpful and she spoke great English! :) It was just two blocks to the main plaza and along the way we had access to Internet stores, coffee shops, and wonderful restaurants. Orfa gave us great recommendations for places to eat and things to see and do. She also helped us make many of our shuttle reservations to various locations. The rooms are not fancy, but they were clean and cute. Our only concern was that is was a little noisy in the evenings and early morning, but that was probably due to the tile floors throughout the place. Some rugs or runners might help with that issue. Overall, it was really nice and we would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike L
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Only two blocks from the square, I liked the location of this small hotel and found it to be conveniently placed. As a single guy, the room I was assigned was small and the bath even smaller. It suited me fine as it was on the first floor and near the front. If you want to spread out I would suggest any room but room number one.
The best part of the experience was the staff. Both day and night personnel were helpful and did not hesitate to answer questions and offer suggestions as to where to eat and things to do. They can arrange any tour or shuttle to many places both in Antigua and elsewhere in the country. Ask for the best price and book early.

Room Tip: second to rear would be a good choice
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Stew H
Willits, California
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I spent a couple of nights here at either end of a three week visit to Guatemala. The hotel arranged for a shuttle to pick me up at the airport, so my arrival was stress-free. The rooms are large and comfortable. The hotel is located near several old churches, and the neighborhood has a warm feeling. It is just a few short blocks from the town square, easy walking distance to dozens of restaurants and shops. The nights I was here it was quiet.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AnthonyCody
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed in this hotel with our two children a few weeks ago. Being close to the central park was great--but being close to a bar with loud music blaring all night was not. Might be perfect for the younger set. We will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Having traveled to over 70 countries, I am always very happy to meet someone like Ms. Orfa working at the front desk. She was always cheerful, greeted me by name and went out of her way to make my stay a comfortable one, even showing me where the huuuuuge supermarket is (out door to left, turn left at street, on left hand side on way to bus station.)

Perhaps what I liked best about Orfa is that she never said that she did not know something - she got immediately on the phone or on the internet to find out what I needed to know. She has worked there a year and does her best. Thanks to her, I could enjoy my stay of 3 days in Antigua.

I was in room 7 which had an awesome view of Agua Volcano very early in the morning. Room was fine, 3 beds for 1 person, TV reception very good, cable channels good. Wifi was great in room and always worked fine at front desk, too. Hot water in bathroom was good but only at very low pressure. I wish the other young lady would have explained this when I checked in. Orfa showed me the next day.
Housekeeping was very good - nice, friendly and efficient.

Neighborhood is great,as is probably all of central Antigua. Just a few minutes walk from anywhere really. I suggest going to the Choco Museum and the photograph exhibit in front of the market between La Merced and the big arch. You cannot miss the big photo of a lil girl, which faces the street. Central Park is always good to hang around, esp. on Sundays.
I will definitely stay again at Posada Dona Luisa.

Room Tip: View from upstairs fantastic when volcanoes are visible. Room no. 7 was lucky for me.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JohnLenihan
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This hotel might not be the most luxurious hotel in Antigua, but it is certainly well located, McDonald's is right around the corner and is near the central park and the local market. It has a great view from the second level and it's very clean. It's a great deal for the price.

Room Tip: Second level has a great view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends