“Location, service, price -- it is all here”

Hotel Posada Dona Luisa
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I spent a couple of nights here at either end of a three week visit to Guatemala. The hotel arranged for a shuttle to pick me up at the airport, so my arrival was stress-free. The rooms are large and comfortable. The hotel is located near several old churches, and the neighborhood has a warm feeling. It is just a few short blocks from the town square, easy walking distance to dozens of restaurants and shops. The nights I was here it was quiet.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AnthonyCody

Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed in this hotel with our two children a few weeks ago. Being close to the central park was great--but being close to a bar with loud music blaring all night was not. Might be perfect for the younger set. We will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Having traveled to over 70 countries, I am always very happy to meet someone like Ms. Orfa working at the front desk. She was always cheerful, greeted me by name and went out of her way to make my stay a comfortable one, even showing me where the huuuuuge supermarket is (out door to left, turn left at street, on left hand side on way to bus station.)

Perhaps what I liked best about Orfa is that she never said that she did not know something - she got immediately on the phone or on the internet to find out what I needed to know. She has worked there a year and does her best. Thanks to her, I could enjoy my stay of 3 days in Antigua.

I was in room 7 which had an awesome view of Agua Volcano very early in the morning. Room was fine, 3 beds for 1 person, TV reception very good, cable channels good. Wifi was great in room and always worked fine at front desk, too. Hot water in bathroom was good but only at very low pressure. I wish the other young lady would have explained this when I checked in. Orfa showed me the next day.
Housekeeping was very good - nice, friendly and efficient.

Neighborhood is great,as is probably all of central Antigua. Just a few minutes walk from anywhere really. I suggest going to the Choco Museum and the photograph exhibit in front of the market between La Merced and the big arch. You cannot miss the big photo of a lil girl, which faces the street. Central Park is always good to hang around, esp. on Sundays.
I will definitely stay again at Posada Dona Luisa.

Room Tip: View from upstairs fantastic when volcanoes are visible. Room no. 7 was lucky for me.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JohnLenihan
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This hotel might not be the most luxurious hotel in Antigua, but it is certainly well located, McDonald's is right around the corner and is near the central park and the local market. It has a great view from the second level and it's very clean. It's a great deal for the price.

Room Tip: Second level has a great view
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Having been to a few hotels in Guatemala, I was pretty surprised by the rooms of Dona Luisa. The room was large, each room has 1 queen sized bed and 1 single bed regardless of the number of people in the room. The room was clean, did not look old and was spacious enough to be comfortable (definitely larger than budget hotels in Japan). The attached bathroom was also not cramped. There was a good steady flow of hot water though that was provided by a fairly large electric unit, typical of most Guatemalan sources of hot water.

There is free wireless that is accessible even in the rooms, though it can be quite unstable. Laundry service is provided on side, Q60 for a large bag (a typical load of one week's worth of laundry) which is cheaper than most places and the laundry dropped off in the morning was ready by late afternoon. The clothes were cleaned thoroughly - I sent off my clothes after a volcanic hike which meant they were covered with a layer of dust! Staff was very friendly and could speak some English. Between my elementary Spanish and their English, there were no dramas. They also cleaned the rooms every day at a time I requested (any time) with fresh towels provided -something I greatly appreciated.

The hotel was located 1.5 blocks from parque central. They are located on the street where Tucs-Tucs normally wait. So if you have to get home at night from parque central, you can easily walk home safely since you have to cover the same distance to get a tuc-tuc anyway. On the first night, I could hear loud music blasted from the nearby bar. Kept me awake for a bit but it was quiet the rest of my stay (3 nights) so not sure if that was a one-off thing.

In conclusion, if I'm back in Antigua, I am definitely checking back into this small but amazing hotel. I paid US$121 for 4 nights 5 days, completely worth it!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We spent two nights at the Hotel Posada Dona Luisa and found it acceptable, but not great. The rooms were large and clean. We stayed on the second floor, which was reached by a circular stairway. Not handicapped accessible. The staff spoke a little English, but not much. The location is great, just a block and a half from the central park. It was quiet at night and we felt very safe.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We chose Posada Doña Luisa from looking over Trip Advisor reviews. This was a good choice for us. Our vacation started by arriving late on the 23rd before Christmas. We had a beautiful room overlooking the courtyard on the ground floor. The staff kept the hotel spotless, and were always very welcoming towards us. The location was in the heart of everything, and yet pleasantly quiet...until midnight on Christmas Eve. At the stroke of midnight the town erupted in fireworks. We enjoyed the show from the second floor balcony where we could hear plenty, and enjoy fireworks over the ruins next door. This was the perfect mid priced hotel for us.

Room Tip: Any of the 8 rooms would be perfect.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family