All reviews small luxury rain shower junior suite stone walls private patio hot tub rooms are beautiful visit antigua quiet street spent two nights four nights second floor lake atitlan the location is perfect an oasis the main square few blocks
Selected filters
Reviewed September 15, 2019

Enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Was honestly expecting less based on previous travel in Central America. Wonderful grounds, felt like a peaceful temple of sorts. At night the grounds were lit with candles, filled with calming sounds, and a tranquil feel. My room was very nice, was sharing with a friend and we each had our own bed. The bathroom was spacious and the shower was something I looked forward to every day. The room was well appointed and comfortable. We had air conditioning, and while it was not too warm out, it was a little humid and was nice to have a cool room after hiking about all day. Not overly modern room but everything you need in terms of comforts (TV, writing desk, ample electrical outlets, comfortable arm chair to relax). The staff was available 24-7 it seemed. One gentleman, the bellman, was there when we had breakfast in the morning and was still working late into the evening. They were very friendly and helpful and very accomodating. I was in the city attending a wedding and brought with me a linen suit that needed ironing. They gladly took it with the morning laundry and had it back to me the same afternoon pressed and ready. The breakfasts were very nice in the hotel restaurant. Again it was something I looked forward to every morning. One night I wanted to stay in and have dinner there and I was able to order something off the menu with no problem. One afternoon we stayed in because it was about to start raining. My friend had a very nice half bottle of wine and I had a very nice Sancerre sitting in their open library area. It was so nice just to feel attended to and relaxed in that peaceful atmosphere. As far as the value goes, I felt that I received more than expected. It was a very nice surprise.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed August 24, 2019

We had last stayed in Antigua 20 years ago and I tried to get into the Santo Domingo but it was sold out for a wedding so we booked El Convento and I am glad we did. It is far more intimate than the Santo Domingo and so if you I are looking for a quieter boutique place, this is indeed it. Breakfast was a real highlight - delectable food, fresh, farm to table. The public areas are beautiful and thoughtfully primed with books, interesting views, etc. The location is great - not noisy but central.

We stayed in a grand suite which was wonderful for a weekend - spacious, areas to relax and spend time reading, good bathrooms and amenities and great comfortable bed.

Service was fine - I see some other travelers grumbled but we had no issues other than a slow check out and check in process.

Date of stay: January 2019
GrupoAzur, Guest Relations Manager at El Convento Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2019

Dear Londoncubana,
Thanks for staying with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our property and service.
Sorry for the dealy during checkout. We will review our process to improve it.

Reviewed August 22, 2019 via mobile

Let’s start saying that this it’s a nice well kept property! The common areas, the pool, the patio, the restaurant and the rooms are in good condition and clean! Why I’m rating only 3? Simple..their service it’s not up to the standards. I will not mention names except for the doorman Armando or Alex (not sure ) but he was the only one who greet us every time we going in to the property and smile the other doorman not even once...but we don’t blame the employees but their management. Most of the waiters you have to ask twice because their forget what you ask for it( and I think that you have maybe 9 tables ) front desk seen to go careless about going for the extra mile and make the guest special! It’s like a whatever attitude...even at arrive we carry the luggage and them almost finally in to the room the front desk guy ask me if I need help and I said no! Not now..maybe 3 times staff talking and laughing loud and making jokes between themselves within short distance to guest... I don’t know it their staff it’s new but they definitely need more training and again management are responsable for it. Despite this I must said that breakfast was excellent but dinner was ok! Nothing wow or relevant except their building decor and ambiance which it’s superb! We never got approach by a manager asking us...how was your stay? Anything else we can do? I feel there was not a manager around or if he was I will know his name when their answer this comment in trip advisor. Cero personalized service seems that they don’t know what it’s that and it’s a shame because the property it’s worth it, it’s relax, trendy and just beautiful but you are missing the important part of personalizing the service and be more friendly to the guest!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank rikymiami

Dear rikymiami,

Thank for taking the time to write a comment of your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay. We will take and apply the corrective measures and we thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We hope you reconsider us whenever travel brings you back.

Reviewed August 6, 2019

We held a small conference in the hotel recently and were supported 100% by hotel staff in this beautiful location. The rooms are lovely - I had a private porch with a Jacuzzi an a fireplace in the room. All very tastefully done. We had breakfast and lunch at the hotel for our conference - food was great and the staff was truly excellent - kind, attentive and thoughtful. This is more of a couples hotel, but I liked it for our conference as it was a charming small place, perfect for a two day meeting for 12 people. The city of Antigua is not to be missed. It has a dreamy quality - I felt like I was walking through a Garcia Marquez novel.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear KMNLosAngles,

Thanks for your review and for staying with us.
We are glad that you enjoyed our property and our service.
We hope we can serve you again.

Reviewed July 19, 2019 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful but service overall was terrible, the hotel room ac was not working and couldn’t open the window since it lead to the busy street. Also breakfast took over 45 minutes and made us late for our tours.

Date of stay: July 2019