“Hospitality in a lovely family-run B&B at a reasonable price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Villa Serena

La Villa Serena
Ranked #5 of 126 Antigua B&B and Inns
Long Beach, CA
“Hospitality in a lovely family-run B&B at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

My wife and I took a break from cruising on our boat to visit Antigua. We stayed 4 nights with Marina and her daughter Marietta at Villa Serena. We were lucky to be there during the build-up of the Easter processions. Marina went out of her way to ensure we saw the sights, restaurants, events.

Our room was beautifully appointed in a Turkish style. Each of the 6 rooms has a different theme. Marina has used tasteful antique furnishings throughout. The rooms are large, exceptionally clean, with full bath. A complete breakfast is offered each morning either in the lovely patio or the splendid kitchen/dining area: coffee, juice, eggs, toast, fruit.

This is a quiet, comfortable, friendly little hotel where you feel right at home. It was nice to return each night from the bustle of the city to a quiet evening and a good sleep in a comfortable bed with down pillows and comforter ( it gets cool in Antigua compared to the lowlands). The price per night for the room was terrific value. Though the location is a touch outside the central area it is an easy walk (10 minutes) and well worth it for the peace and quiet. We'll return.

John and Mary Newport, Long Beach, California

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I only had a few days off work, so we found La Villa Serena B&B had availability for the short time we would be in Antigua. It was wonderful and perfect for a couple who likes being away from crowded touristy areas. We were kept well informed by Marina, the owner (who is charming, caring, and professional), about all details pertaining to our arrival at GUA, transportation she arranged to and from the airport, information about Antigua, arranging a day trip to Volcano Pacaya (which we recommend doing), and any other special needs we had. Marina runs a clean, organically beautiful B&B, where the rooms are small, quaint and intimate. The views from the rooftop deck are stunning. Breakfast was served by her wonderful staff who tolerated our lack of spanish speaking abilities. The outside entrance is subtle and well kept, and once inside the doors, it is an oasis of lush plants, orchids, antique furniture, and spotless. It is a safe area all over, and an easy walk into the city center of Antigua, about a 10 minute walk to the Central Park. A grocery store is 5 minutes away walking. The beds are comfy, shower and bathroom well maintained, soap and shampoo provided, rooms cleaned each day. We stayed in the Moroccan room with nice breezes flowing through the windows and deck doors. We recommend this to anyone who enjoys peace and quiet, kind service with a smile, simple accomodations, and a home away from home feel. Thanks Marina!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ume03
Auburn, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stayed at the Villa Hotel Serena for 3 days in January, 2010. It was absolutely delightful. I was somewhat hesitant, because I could find no reviews. But, I wanted to be near the Hotel Soleil where my friends were staying and I didn't want to spend as much. It couldn't have worked out better. I paid $55 USD/night for a room with 1 person and thought my room was nicer than those at the Hotel Soleil (which was almost double the price).

The B&B is located in a quiet area in the SW corner of town. If you're looking for it, you need to turn onto the Callejon Espiritu Santo (an alley off of the larger Calle Espiritu Santo). The area seemed very safe, though I was careful not to go walking after dark.

Marina, the proprietor, and her daughter, Marietta, were both delightful people and went out of their way to make me feel at home. They both speak English beautifully and were a great source of information about things to see. Beyond that, they gave me "extras" above and beyond what was expected including afternoon tea on one day and a light breakfast with much-needed coffee on the morning I arrived (after an overnight flight).

My bed was very comfortable. The shower was hot with good water flow. Soap and shampoo were both provided. I was able to borrow a hair dryer whenever I needed one. And, there was a safe in the room to keep my belongings secure.

Everything I could possibly say about this place is positive. My only hesitation is that my comments might drive up the price or prevent me from being able to get a room the next time I want to stay there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo