“5 star experience”
Review of La Villa Serena

La Villa Serena
Ranked #4 of 135 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights.
The food, cleanliness, and location were all premier. The staff went above and beyond to meet diatary needs as well as helping with transportation, and offering help when we needed help.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have stayed at La Villa Serena at least six times, all of them positive and memorable. I was treated like I was in my own home. The food was wonderful, and the B & B was spotless from top to bottom. All of the staff are gracious and accommodating. Marina, our hostess, has gone above and beyond on numerous occasions from everything to arranging trips to finding an English speaking doctor who makes house calls when one of our group became ill. The B & B is clean, comfortable, beautifully and uniquely decorated and a place I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Villa Serena for 2 days. It is a lovely space decorated with lovely pieces from around the world. I love the quietness as it tucked away from the hussle-buzzle, it has lovely spots to read and meditate. Marina, the owner, is an awesome cook and host, her English is very good and she loves to plant orchids which I found lovely!

Ananda Patro

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 28, 2014

When you stay at Villa Serena, you feel as if you're staying in some exotic far-away land. Each room is carefully and lovingly decorated in a theme. African sculptures, Turkish carpets, Mexican artwork-- everything has been personally hand-picked by the owner and host, Marina.
Marina is not only the most gracious host, she will go out of her way to make you feel at home, safe, well-fed and welcomed! The breakfast by the way, is only one of the best reasons why you should stay here. Home made authentic and freshly prepared each day. The coffee is outstanding!
Antigua of course is a gem of a town, and you should definitely plan for at least 2-3 days to explore this historic place, but Marina will also make sure you see other parts of Guatemala--just ask her and she make sure arrangements are made for you.
Overall, Villa Serena will provide a highlight of your stay in Guatemala. It is a safe home, friendly staff (it is not uncommon for people to not speak English in this part of the world-- unfortunately a lot of American tourists expect and demand this, limiting their travel experience), and I know you will want to go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2014

La Villa Serena Is a beautiful B&B just a 7 minute walk from the town square. Many rooms are themed. The Serengeti room has an African theme for example. The grounds are professionally landscaped and well manicured. An ample and authentic breakfast is served inside each morning. The coffee is excellent. The neighborhood is safe and quiet. I recommend this B&B to anyone wanting a great place to stay in Antigua.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was very disappointed with this B&B. I was here in Antigua to learn Spanish but upon my arrival at La Serena hotel, it was very difficult to get settled in as the staff spoke no English at all. Although the staff seemed very gracious, I could not address my concerns due to the language barrier.
There was no key to get in or OUT of the B&B, which was very concerning to me! If you needed out, you had to track down a staff member, which was sometimes extremely difficult, as they are also cleaning rooms. I considered this to be a huge health and safety concern... In the event of a fire or an earthquake, there is no way out!
My room was on the 2nd floor and there was a gate at the bottom of the stairs that I had to move each time. The gate was to prevent the dog from coming upstairs, but created a huge inconvenience for myself and other guests.
I found my room to be very small and dark. There was no natural light which made me a little claustrophobic.
I really hope that the owner is able to address the issue of not being able to get out without tracking down a staff member....

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
LaVillaSerena, Owner at La Villa Serena, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Sir,
I sincerely regret that your stay at La Villa Serena was not what you expected. I personally regret that I was away for a family emergency and was not here to make your stay as pleasant as possible. We have taken your concerns into consideration and are doing all we can to improve our services. My staff at La Villa Serena are like yourself striving to learn new languages including English and so we regret that your Spanish immersion experience began earlier than expected. Our house is set out in the colonial fashion and so the different rooms receive light at different times of the day - some receive early morning light, others in the evening. For this reason we give guests the full run of the house including all the terraces on the various floors- many even do yoga on our topmost floor to take advantage of the view of the volcanoes and receive the sunrise. We hope your Spanish course was successful and wish you a prosperous 2014. If you still find yourself in Antigua we would love another chance to make your stay the best it could possibly be. With kind regards,

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed one full week at Marina's La Villa Serena B&B the end of November 2013. I never met Marina but did meet Rosalinda her manager who does not live on the property and she was very nice and did speak English. Their staff is very friendly but do not speak English. I was allowed on the second day to move to a room upstairs which was nice. The breakfasts are good as they usually included fruit and eggs. Her driver who picked me up in Guatemala City was very good and right on time. I always walked into town but late at night I always took a taxi back to the place. It is a nice place to meet fellow travelers as I believe there are 7 rooms. The only issue was no key to the front door/gate as the issue was to keep the little dog inside the property.

Room Tip: An upstairs room is the way to go.