“Excellent service, atmosphere, rooms”
Review of La Villa Serena

La Villa Serena
Ranked #4 of 134 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at La Villa Serena in February '11 for 5 days. My stay couldn't have been better. Marina is a hostess that truly cares about her patrons. She is happy to suggest excursions, arrange transportation, and just chat about life in Guatemala. A more homey atmosphere could not be created. Her staff is happy to accomodate guests and cook some of the best food I have ever tasted. It is home cooked food, but better than that which is here at home! Guatamalan and Central American specialties are the order of the day. The rooms are each unique with individual themes, many of the decorations are artifacts, and possessions that Marina has collected in her worldly travels.

Would I return? In a heartbeat. I really developed a love affair with Marina, her staff, and La Villa Serena. If you are thinking of a trip to this part of the world, your experience will be enhanced greatly by a stay at La Villa Serena.

Room Tip: Rooms have different themes and are different sizes. Ask when you make a reservation what size/room...
There are newer reviews for La Villa Serena

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Our party of six were treated like family. The rooms are beautifully and uniquely furnished. Lots of old world charm and with every comfort. It doesn't seem possible that the staff could treat all guests as lavishly as we were treated, but I'm sure they would like to. I hope to bring my wife back for a visit someday soon.

Room Tip: We had three rooms booked and I got a peek at a couple others. One seemed as fabulous as the next.
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I found out about La Villa Serena from a friend who stayed here before. I fell in love with the place long before I got there. The hotel is a gem, like a bouquet of flowers. Everything is beautifully placed with absolute great taste. The six rooms each have a charming unique theme. Large and clean. My room had a window that opened to a jasmine tree! The aroma every morning was heavenly. The garden is a sanctuary of flowers and plants, a retreat, a serene place to sit in and enjoy a book or a talk with a friend.

Marina, the owner, is a dear, charming and worldy lady. She has full command of english language. A world traveler herself, she understands what it takes to have a great vacation. She went out of her way everyday to make us feel at home. She helped us arrange trips to Tikal, Chichi, Panajachal and Coban. She even spend a day with us as a tour guide in Antigua. Her staff is very friendly. They made the best food i tasted in Guatemala.

If you enjoy peace and quiet, a home away from home, and would like to make new lifetime friends, visit La Villa Serena. Thank you Marina!

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I stayed here for four days in late January/early February of this year. The few wonderful reviews on here do not do the place justice. I love luxury hotels, but in the last few years I've decided to seek out more unique, boutique like hotels and inns that represent the surroundings, but are still comfortable, and somewhat pampering. La Villa Serena certainly fits that bill! It's in a quiet spot in Antigua (and we did stay a couple other places in Antiqua that were nice, but quite loud at night), but is still walkable to everything - we never took a taxi. We spoke no Spanish, and were not only delighted to discover Marina spoke perfect English, but thrilled that she was willing to arrange anything for us, even when we were no longer actually staying at her inn - we called her up from another hotel and she arranged a trip to Tikal for us! We hiked the volcanoes and went to Chichi, all with pickup at the inn and payment through Marina - couldn't have been easier! This is not something she pushes, it is just something she offers. The inn itself couldn't have been more delightful: large rooms, clean as could be, decorated tastefully, and with very charming details including wood beams, wood doors, small balconies, tiled bathroom floors, etc. There is a lovely courtyard you can have your complimentary breakfast in, as well as shaded areas for dining, hammocks for reading, etc. I sometimes found it hard to leave, as I would have liked to just spend an afternoon reading a book there. I cannot recommend this place enough. I will absolutely stay there again.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We stayed there for 3 nights and had a great time. It is located in a quiet area,but not far from the squire(10 min. walk). Each rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable.The owner, Marina speaks English very well and she always smiled and made us feel at home.We had tamales for breakfast and tasted really great, so we asked for her to have it again and she prepared for our last day.
When we returned from Pacaya Volcano at night, we were too tired to go to the restaurant and she offered some bread and tea in her kitchen.
Thanks Marina!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I was supposed to stay only one week in Antigua but I ended up extending my trip by an additional week due the charm and hospitality of this place and its owner. I found here something that I rarely find in my trips. In Villa Serena you can find an absolute dedication to every detail, an incredible sense of beauty and excellent taste. Every detail has been carefully thought through.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I went to Antigua for Semana Santa and was lucky enough to get a room at La Villa Serena at relatively short notice. ( I doubt people will be able to do this in the future when word spreads however)

The rooms each have a unique theme which have been done really well ( even an aussie one for me !) and are of the same standard as a 4 star hotel.

As there are only 6 rooms around a great little courtyard it has a great friendly family atmosphere . Make sure you head up to the roof deck to take in the incredible view of the looming volcano from the comfy banana lounges !

I really enjoyed sitting in the kitchen at breakfast and discussing my adventures with the dynamic mother daughter duo of Marina And Marietta ( they spoke better english than me !) and in many ways my time there felt like i was on a home stay .

Being a 10 minute walk from the center it felt like you were staying in the "real " Anitgua and meant that it was super quiet which combined with the excellent beds i was always bouncing out of bed to take on another day in Antigua.

I even got help with my spanish
stay here - its great