“A Favorite Thing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ahmeek
Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Ahmeek B&B and Inns
Fort Worth, Texas
“A Favorite Thing”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I love this place! I travel a lot. I have gone to 4 continents and 49 states--and this is one of my favorite places to visit. It is so cozy and has stupendous views. One of the reviews called it a "gem of a lighthouse" which is a perfect description. The owners and hosts, Bill and Mary,are delightful. They add depth to this wonderful place. I adore the lighthouse and surrounding area, but their graciousness adds to the experience.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the back room for three people and in a balcony room. Both were nice, but I really...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Becky C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Conway, South Carolina
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and i stayed at the Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn on our honeymoon in July of 2003. We live in South Carolina, had a beach themed wedding and thought that staying in a lighthouse for our honeymoon would be top it off nicely. We absolutely feel in love with the lighthouse and Bill and Mary. They are both very special and dear people who give more to and for their guests than any other inn keepers we have met during our ten years of visitng many B&Bs.

We loved their B&B and the hospitality so much, that we began staying in B&Bs whever possible while traveling. We have stayed in some very nice places; but, by far the Sand Hills Lighthouse and Bill & Mary's care rank #1 in our book. We were actually disappointed to find that at several B&Bs, a breakfast wasn't served and many times the "keepers" weren't even at the inn.

Bill and Mary do have a routine as far as meals and dessert being served; but, it is clearly explained in the information provided. If one puts theirself in the innkeepers place, I'm sure they would have a routine as far as a few things also -- otherwise, it could become overwhelming for all involved. My husband and I do plan to visit again -- hopefully, this summer. Of all the places to stay, the Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn will always rank at the top for us!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JennyLeigh723
Franksville, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Awesome experience: the lighthouse is restored in a warm & inviting manner. Lots of history and stories shared by the personable owners: Bill & Mary, They are a talented couple: Mary with her musical & culinary skills and Bill with his artwork. Their attention to detail in restoring this piece of history is remarkable. The service was superb! The rooms are decorated in Victorian style and the bed was comfortable! The view from the lighthouse was outstanding, as was the company, the breakfast and the dessert served in the evening. The experience was beyond my expectations and we can't wait to find another chance to visit again!

1 Thank Linda R
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Have never stayed in a B & B until now so not sure how to gauge the review but pretty sure its not something we will try again without spending more time getting all of the info on what is expected of guests.

We took the long way to the lighthouse since there is so many great places I wanted to show my girlfriend and a few I had yet to see in the U.P, figured we would get to the lighthouse around 9 so still a reasonable time to be showing up at a persons house if you where staying there. When we got in the door we right away where jumped on about being late, guess dessert is served at 8:30 and she said she kept holding it off waiting for us. There is little to no cell reception in the area so even if I had wanted to call to say we where coming at 9 I couldn't, also this is my vacation, I don't want to be told what time I should be showing up. She than started the whole story of how they got the lighthouse, rebuilt it, and played some piano. It was fine, I would have rather been able to relax after driving all day, when it was all over we also learned you could not go into the lighthouse until you where given a tour which would not be until after breakfast the next day.

We learned breakfast at 9:30 is just too late in the day for us, I'm not blaming sand hills since they make clear this is when they serve it, if you are someone who wakes up early and likes to get rolling right away just don't stay here. Seems most people wanted to sleep in but with all the plans we had for saturday it just ended up messing things up. Breakfast was good, nothing life changing and a bit on the sweet side with choices. Another thing is you will get very close to other guests when you stay here, the rooms are small with the choice of large Victorian furniture(bonus pictures of Regan tossed in which don't match the rest of the house) creates some very small eating spaces and sitting areas. We got the tour of the lighthouse and thought every else would be forgotten when later tonight we would be sitting outside having a glass of wine hearing the waves roll in. The tour took way to long for the rest of the place, it was getting past 11 am so we ditched out so we could get to copper harbor.

We stopped back around 5 to get changed for dinner when we where informed due to the nice weather they had put sealant down outside of the lighthouse so you could go up into the glass part but not outside....right there that killed everything for us. The whole point of this trip was the offer of enjoying the views from the top of it when you stayed there and to take that away just made it pointless. I understand they have upkeep on the place but I'm sorry due to that we just became very unhappy with our choice to pay these people to stay somewhere and feel like we had to plan our weekend around what they wanted to do.

We came back at 9 for another dessert, chatted with other guests then just went to our room. The room itself was nice, with views of the shore. Bathrooms are small but due to the setup of the building they did the best they could, water gets super hot so watch out for that. Our bed was not that comfy for either of us, too springing for my tastes. Building seems pretty quiet at night, could not hear other guests talking or anything which is good. Got up for another breakfast and got out of there.

In closing I can say this: If you don't plan on doing much in the area, don't mind having your time controlled by the host, and want to sleep in and get amazed but simple things like fluffy eggs stay here. I'm not going out of my way to bash the place but I just want someone who is wondering if they should stay here to make the right choice, if you don't want to answer to someone about what time you are coming and going, when you eat, etc don't book here. You will not enjoy it and are better off just sticking with a hotel, we will just rent a cabin next time we come through.

8 Thank Cjdirri
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We just returned from our fourth stay at Sand Hills Lightgiye Inn and found the shores of Lake Superior breathtaking and relaxing. There is always a refreshing lake breeze. The hosts Mary and Bill are dedicated to making your stay enjoyable. We particularly enjoy the evening gormet desert followed by beartiful melodies played on a 100 year old baby grand piano. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Every room has a view of Lake Superior.
2 Thank njharv
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 21, 2012

While staying in Ahmeek, my husband and I stopped for a tour of the lnn. What a wonderful experience it was from start to finish. We learned all about the history of this beautiful place and had the grand tour of the facility and grounds. Mary and Bill have paid so much attention to detail, it is truly astounding - from the hand milled woodwork to the lovely room furnishings, each facet of the place tells a story. I was equally impressed by their vision and determination to achieve what they dreamed of. Great place, great people, (and delicious snacks.) We will definately book a stay here! Jen and Scott

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JenScott311
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We began our tour at 3:00pm prompt! There were 4 of us on our tour and we sat in the small living room with a grand piano as she told us about their dreams and how they come to own the home. When the home came to be and the history of the home. When they purchased it, all windows had been broken out and there was 2' of sheetrock on the floors from the abuse of vandalism and Lake Superior. Little by little it's has become a labor of love to bring it back. There still needs to be a lot of work done but it's coming. There is not a lot of original to the home but it's very interesting how it housed 3 separate families. I got lost in it.

From the top of the lighthouse was a spectacular view of Lake Superior. There is no doubt that this was a labor of love for Ms. Mary. She was very knowledgeable about the history of Sand Hills Lighthouse for the time of its existence with many photos, letters from coast guards revisiting and sharing memories which were shared with us.

The 1 1/2 hour visit was enjoyable and well worth the time. I would highly recommend this to anyone in the area. Mary's energy, passion and love of this Lighthouse home was very refreshing and well worth $5.00 per person tour.

Room Tip: We only did a tour and we did not do the B&B. The tours are at 3:00pm daily only.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Metaksams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahmeek
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Calumet
#6 of 7 in Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
#2 of 7 in Houghton

Been to Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn? Share your experiences!