“Great for the region”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Acme
Westchester County New York
“Great for the region”
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Stayed here for a weekend in July for the horse show. It looked like the Tower of Terror from Disney World rising high and dark out of the trees. It is great for golf and tennis, lots of courts. The pools are great for kids, very crowded with them all the time. It is not just for hotel guests but for local residents, so keep that in mind. The restaurant on top has a spectacular view of the Grand Traverse Bay. Lots of sky and water. The menu is incredibly ambitious but the execution is not quite up to that ambition.

Stayed in the old, non--Tower portion and the rooms are old and really nothing special. One of the elevators in this section did not work all the time.

As always in the Midwest, the people on staff are absolutely wonderful!

• Liked — view from restaurant
  • Disliked — stodgy rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We spent five days up at Grand Traverse Motel in a 2 bedroom condo. The condo accomodation itself was fine with a well equipped kitchen and pleasant interior. The bathrooms were however pretty tight with not alot of room to move or spread your things out. The balconies overlooked the golf course and the view was great but the chairs and actual balcony were in need of some attention. Our friends stayed in an actual room of the main motel and were pretty disgusted. They were very small, were stinky and generally lacked any kind of appeal.
We ate at most of the resturants and the food was fine all round. A highlight was certainly the cocktails served at The Shores...very tasty!!
The spa experience was brilliant and met expectations completely...be aware when booking however, they include a service charge that bumps up the price significantly.
The pool areas were also good but all were at their shallowest 3 feet deep. This was disappointing for 3 of my children that were no where near touching the bottom...they spent their whole time hanging out on the stairs....not nearly offering the amount of fun a shallow kiddie pool could offer.
"The Shores" was right on the lake and a shuttle bus ran us down there. The kids enjoyed it but alot of us clammered for room near the water on a lounge. It was however shallow enough that I could relax and know my kids would not go under at any second.
Overall our experience was fine but the hotel is right on the border of needing to do some major work to continue getting guests back. It was ok but could have been alot better.

• Liked — The cocktails at
  • Disliked — The pools not accomodating children under 4 because of their depth
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Acme hotels

Barrington
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We just returned from a 3-night stay at the Grand Traverse Resort & Spa. It was a good choice for us with our two children ages three & five. We loved the service. We used the concierge service to make restaurant reservations at Pearl’s. We used the in room baby-sitter service while we went to dinner at Aerie. Our sitter was very responsible and put us at was with in minutes of arriving in our room. She was young personable and fun for the kids. We stayed in a bay view room on the 6th floor of the tower. The rooms were nice, the beds comfortable. The Jacuzzi tub is huge and was clean. The in-room movie selection was what one would expect. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion were all provided in the bathroom. Therefore, we thought the resort was nice. I loved the pools, there were attentive lifeguards, and life jackets were provided.

We almost did not stay here because of some of the reviews we read. So, in response to some of the negatives I read. It might be the guests were not prepared to spend the money for a quality resort. We stayed three nights, did not golf, and our bill was just under $1,500.00. There are no appliances in the room, but coffee is available through room service, in the heath club, in the cafe in the gallery and at Sweetwater. Yes, you must pay for your cup of coffee. There is a microwave in the health club and there is no charge to use it. I personally prefer that there is as little cooking in the rooms as possible. The absence of sugar and food keeps the room in a better state of cleanliness, in my opinion.

• Liked — The safety surrounding the pools for the children
  • Disliked — The housekeeping service did not pick up any garbage off the floor from the room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed July 13, 2008

My husband & I stayed at the hotel for our anniversary weekend. We were pleased to find that our reservation requests were met, especially considering our booking only 4 weeks out during the high season. The rooms were comfortable and well-decorated. However, for the price being paid, I expect GREAT attention to detail. Just a few small things to note about our room: some chipped paint around door moldings, some loose carpet molding....a few stains on the duvet cover & pillow shams (white of course).
I don't mind if a hotel chooses white bed treatments, as it is very classy, but they should be just as classy to inspect them for stains, even slight stains....it ruins the presentation.

The spa......ok here we go.

The spa area is well decorated and comfortable in the relaxation room. However, I was a little surprised that you are expected to drag your robe and key back to the front desk in the spa lobby after services (other spas of "equal" caliber have bins for you to place them in within the locker rooms). The relaxation room is directly below the spa lobby, and there are no doors separating the two, so you hear all of the noise from the lobby...not exactly relaxing.

My biggest complaint: Some services (pedis, manis, and hair) are located next to the spa lobby as well as a few treatment rooms. these rooms are not blocked off from the lobby by a door or curtain, which is fine if these rooms were used for treatments not requiring a robe and slippers. There were many rooms located down a dark hallway adjacent to the relaxation room downstairs away from the lobby - very nice. I however, after changing into my robe and slippers was escorted by my therapist UPSTAIRS THROUGH THE SPA LOBBY to my treatment room. Thanks, but I would rather not be on display for the salon and spa guests checking in or purchasing products. I thought it was very strange, considering the fact that there was an entire hallway of rooms next to the relaxation room. A little attention to detail in that manner would have been nice.

ON the good side, my therapists were knowledgeable, helpful and well-mannered.

I have been to 2 other premier spas, and must admit that for the price, a day spa that I regularly attend has much higher attention to detail and is much more classy than this resort spa.

• Liked — Very friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Over-priced restaurants considering the quality of the food
  • Stayed July 2008
illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for an anniversary, which we mentioned when we called to make the reservation. We thought that they might do something special for us, but they didn't. Oh, well, it never hurts to ask, right?

1) View: we stayed in the Tower on the 12th floor in a "bay view room", but we were on an angle, so what we mainly saw from our windows were the roofs of the surrounding buildings; the bay was way on the side, and pretty far away across a street, maybe about a 1/2 of a mile. When you looked in the direction of the bay, though, you could easily see the big CEMETERY that borders the resort's driveway. I don't know if the cemetery is usually blocked from view by tree leaves, but in the winter, it is very clear from any "bay view rooms". Not really a romantic view if you ask me. And you have to pass it every time you leave or come back to the resort, which I thought it was important to mention since it can be very upsetting to some people. I would add a photo of it so you can see, but I don't want to be disrespectful to the people who have loved ones there, so I won't. You can conact me if you wish for more info on that.

2) Front desk: somewhat disorganized, even though they weren't very busy during the week, and we went through quite an ordeal when we were told that we would have to move to another room for our last night. It turned out that the front desk person had simply made a mistake, and we didn't have to move, but we didn't find this out until the next day, after we had packed everything up and were ready to move.

3) Room service: food was pretty good (excellent breakfasts), but I did find some weird rubber-type substance in a dessert. The kitchen made up for it very quickly though, by removing it from our bill and then sending up a replacment.

4) Spa: overpriced for what it is; it is right next to the tennis courts, but I didn't hear the noise of that because they play music to cover. In the relaxation room, the main noise is hearing the receptionist because she is right up the stairs and there is no separation, so everything that goes on there (booking appointments, her chatting, etc...) carries right down the stairs while you are trying to relax. My husband enjoyed his massage, but I didn't like mine because the masseuse was pretty rough and used her elbows alot, even though I kept telling her it hurt. We had done the February special, which meant a couples massage and wine, but we never did get our wine. I mentioned it while we were leaving and they tried to make up for it by saying that we could have a glass "to go".

5) Pool/health club: is available to local people, too, so it was busy all the time with big groups of kids playing in the pools, so I never even attempted to swim laps.

6) Room: the room itself was pretty good, though, and the bathroom was nice. Very clean and nicely appointed with tile, granite countertops, and a huge jet-tub.

Overall, I would say that this would be an ok place to stay as long as you knew what you were getting for your money. There are dozens of places to stay that are right on the bay, though, so keep that in mind if being right by the water is important.

• Liked — Bathroom (jet tub)
  • Disliked — View
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank landlockedinIL
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Reviewed February 23, 2008

Just got back from a great long weekend stay at the Grand Traverse Resort.

Stayed in the Tower section, which was just renovated. The room was nice - clean, modern, awesome beds, and a large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.

Service was excellent in all parts of the hotel - from Norm bartending in the lobby bar to the top notch service in the restaurant at the top of the tower.

The pool area has been updated to look (a little) like Great Wolf Lodge, but certainly not as many toys. But the kids definitely had a good time.

Would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
windsor
Reviewed February 20, 2008

we drove about 5 hours in a blizzard to get there and when we arrived (at 5 pm) they told us our room was not ready and that we should find a seat in the lobby and wait. they didn't know how long it would take, nor did they offer us a drink or a bite to eat to make our wait more palatable. i checked in at the desk every half-hour and was told that they didn't know why it was taking so long. three hours later, when i asked to speak with the manager, they found a room for us on the 9th floor (we had paid extra for a room with a view of the bay). when we went up to the room, there was a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the doorhandle. i went back down to the desk and was assured that the room was empty and clean and that we should go in. well, the room was neither empty nor clean. they finally managed to find us a room on the third floor (by 8:30 pm) and ended up giving us the room free for the first night. apart from not having any control over the heat in our room (stuck at 77), everything after that check-in debacle was just fine.

• Liked — big clean bathroom, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — took a long time to check-in; no effective management on site
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Acme
Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites Acme - Traverse City
Grand Beach Resort Hotel
Grand Beach Resort Hotel
#14 of 40 in Traverse City

Been to Grand Traverse Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!