“Well, of Course-We're talking Grand Traverse Golf”

Grand Traverse Resort Golf Courses
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Acme
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the Midwest's premier golf destinations, Grand Traverse's lush location has three distinct championship courses: the original Spruce Run, the Gary Player-designed Wolverine and The Bear, named for its illustrious architect, Jack Nicklaus.
Lakeville, Michigan
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Well, of Course-We're talking Grand Traverse Golf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Played the Wolverine on an absolutely beautiful autumn morning. As it was a Thursday and rain had been in the forecast, we pretty much had the course to ourselves. (rain came in 2 hours after we were done) Of course, the whole course is well maintained. I found the pin placements to be fair-but I can see where sometimes putting could be pretty dicey. This time of the year, it seems as though green speeds vary quite a bit from course to course. The only thing I did not like was the traffic sound on the front 9. Some of the character of the course was compromised by the noise. In my opinion, the back 9 is the more scenic and quiet. The fairways are undulating-generally you will not have a flat lie. If you are an average golfer you should not be discouraged at all at the Wolverine. (unless you manage to hit as many bunkers as I). Even then-you still will have a great round.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank gravesky

Windsor, Ontario
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Great collection of courses.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Played a Ryder Cup here my buddies in July. We played the Wolverine twice. Maybe my favourite of the 3 on site. Nice wide fairways and big greens. The rolling fairways took some getting used to. lots of uphill downhill stance on approach shots. Great layout ... forgiving. Well groomed. I really feel like I used most of the clubs in my bag playing it. We played Spruce Run for our alternate shot format. To be fair it rained quite a bit playing spruce run, but it was not to my liking. Fairways are very tight and greens have some serious slope in areas. It was OK. Id play the others 3 times before I did Spruce run again tho. The Bear was awesome. Just awesome. We played the white tees and that was a challenge enough for me (shot 89). The fairways are very generous but the green complexes are tough. Small greens and neck deep bunkers. There is just almost nowhere to miss on approach shots so be on your game. Grooming was immaculate, course layout was exciting and varied. Maybe I did like the Bear better ... great finishing hole! The guys in the cart corral are awesome, very organized. They let you leave your clubs on the carts and park them underground overnight for large tournament situations .. bonus! Play was slow, some of that was my groups fault, but having never played there before it takes some extra calculations on the road map ya know. No round in under 4.5 hrs, which I take for granted when I go up north. The staff at the clubhouse were friendly, food was good over there, bar was nice. Good selection of apparel in the shop too.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank GettinErDun
Redford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spruce Run is not just for average golfers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Spruce Run golf course might be the least of the three golf courses at the Grand Traverse Resort on the East Bay of Traverse City, but it definitely is worthwhile. It allows the golfer to play at the same resort property as the Jack Nicklaus designed Bear golf course, without the course rating difficulty. This property has a timeless yet upscale clubhouse, pro shop, and a grill with patio dining facing the 18th hole of the Bear. The view off of the patio in the evening out over a large pond and the rolling hills of the property is excellent. The staff are professional, courteous and friendly. If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then the clubhouse appears have been copied by the less impressive clubhouse at the Forest Dunes golf course in a remote area of Michigan. Spruce Run has the look of a resort golf course but has a good amount of even wider fairways than some municipal golf courses. The cart path winds beautifully through open areas with native grasses, pine trees, and rolling hills. Although carved out of hilly terrain which provides a number of elevated tees, the course itself plays gently flat with just a few uneven lies. Sprinkle in some water and one or two forced carries to greens, and you have a balanced golf course. It does however pass next to condos on one hole and next to the pavilion of the resort on one short par three -- parred that one. On the back nine, it gives you a visual experience similar to that of the Gary Player designed Wolverine course, and in fact crosses it once there. I would highly recommend this course for mid to high handicappers and anyone that wants to get in a pleasant round of golf.

Visited August 2013
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Kalkaska,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Lakes, Hotel was nice & comfortable, casino is another attraction. Visit with family. Traverse city hotels were expensive. Stayed in kalkaska, North Country Inn

Visited June 2013
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Bear is a great golf course but very difficult. It is a long and narrow course which means you need long straight drives or you will be spending a lot of your time in difficult roughs. The course is very well maintained and lots of fun to play. If I lived in the area I would play this course often.

Visited June 2013