“Nice ambiance, Regular Food”
Review of Tavern

Tavern
Ranked #39 of 144 Restaurants in Nantucket
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This place had a lively ambiance located at the Straight Warf. Good for people watching. Food was ok, but ordinary.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Food was lovely, but the upstairs we were seated lacked atmosphere. We hoped to sit downstairs as this is open area and directly overlooking Straight Wharf on Nantucket Harbor.

The toilets were filthy.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had two great meals and one mediocre meal at the tavern. A great salad was ruined by having canned pears rather than fresh. A medium well burger was rare. Yet the fish and chips were great and a lunch time wrap was great too. Service was average. The outside seating both upstairs and downstairs is great. I guess it must depend on just who is cooking on that shift.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

The Tavern is touted as dog-friendly, but we skipped it our first night when we were told that the dogs are tied to the outside of the rail on the patio while we sit on the inside next to them. Our issue was that this restaurant is located in one of the most crowded parts of town and the constant foot traffic had us worried that we wouldn't be able to control our dogs very well if we were on opposite ends of the rail. By our last day though, we had our dogs so exhausted that we gave it a shot for lunch. We ended up with one of the best tables for this--we were in a corner at the back of the patio where our one dog laid down right against the rail and the other sneaked in and laid down under my chair, but out of everyone's way. I did have to pull in the one dog twice for people with walkers (we were sitting alongside a ramp). Bottom line: they really are great with dogs and not only provide water (and keep refilling the dish), but if your dog needs a little more supervision with people walking by (and kids stopping to say hi), I wouldn't attempt going here.

As for the food, my husband had a very good clam chowder and I had the best lentil soup I ever tasted. He also had a VERY big chef's salad with good chopped meats (not deli lunchmeats, which he tells me a lot of places do). I had a veggie wrap, which was pretty good, and french fries, which were excellent.

We were actually going to return for dinner, but I'm a vegetarian and found nothing for me on their dinner menu, which was a shame since we really did enjoy our lunch.

The service was very good--attentive without going overboard. I'm also wary about how to dress in Nantucket. This restaurant was nice and casual. Some of the crowd was preppy (Nantucket reds and golf shirts), but there were also jeans, shorts, and T-shirts. It seemed to be a great restaurant for couples, groups, and anyone with kids since it was good food and a nice atmosphere without being pretentious.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Grabbed lunch with friends with small children and the menu works for that. Lots of fried stuff and cold beer, can't go wrong there. Good place to people watch as well as most of the town filters past the place at one point or the other during the day.