“dreadful service”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stumbled in here to grab a quick snack late in the afternoon. Now that we are home, I have read some of the other reviews. Indeed, a common theme at this place....the awful service. We popped in late afternoon on Tuesday, Sept 24th so, manager/owner of this place, you should pay attention. She was probably the worst server/bartender we have ever seen. She was more concerned with chatting with her friends who were just standing there than the actual paying customers. The cook finally had to bring our food out, she never brought our drinks over and I had to ask three times for our check. It's VERY rare that I don't leave at least a 15% tip. I left her nothing. It's a SERVICE industry. tips are about service.

Nantucket is supposed to be relaxed. The service is so bad in here, it's better to just avoid this place. There are DOZENS of much better places near by

Reviewed September 24, 2013

If one needs a break from the very high-priced and somewhat ostentatious ambiance at the huge majority of Nantucket restaurants, this is the place to go. The food is pretty good, the service is surprisingly good for how busy it can get and the big screen TVs make for a nice diversion.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our server was reasonably attentive; the decor was casual; my ham and brie sandwich on brioche was very good, as were the fries; reasonably priced and laid-back.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Had a quick lunch with my sister, my niece and her daughter here a few days ago. The waiter was really very good: attentive and pleasant. The chowder was excellent; clam fritters also...Good spot to stop for a bite to eat.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Part of our family arrived first and placed their orders. Several members arrived after that and placed their orders together. No one brought additional silverware for the second group of people. When the food was served, we had to shout after a server to bring silverware. He brought some but still not enough for everyone, even after a second request. No one ever came to refill our drinks or ask if we needed anything. When the second group of meals was delivered, one person's meal and beverage were missing. After a while it became apparent that the meal wasn't delayed, it wasn't being served at all. After several attempts to flag her down, the waitress went back to check and said they had run out of that item. The waitress asked if she would like to order something else but by then the first group was finished and the second group was almost finished so there was no point.

Being at the other end of the table, I was unaware that she had never received her meal until we were paying the check. I asked for the manager and told her what happened: no silverware, no refills on drinks, and the missing meal. She said rudely, "We're busy, it's August, you already paid, what am I supposed to do about it." No apology whatsoever. When I told her that this was unacceptable, she told me that if we had pointed out the problems during the meal she could have done something and if we had told her about it before paying she could have adjusted the bill, but since the charge had gone through she couldn't fix it. I had assumed that we weren't charged for the missing meal, that the waitress had forgotten to order it; but the manager was assuming that we had been charged for it, and thought it was perfectly fine to steal from customers by charging them for food that wasn't provided and then refusing to provide a refund.

The waitress had been nice, at least, and I can understand wait staff being overwhelmed, but in this case the main problem was the manager. An apology would have made such a difference. Instead the manager was rude, unapologetic, and dishonest. The reviews prior to mine also comment upon the rudeness and surliness of the staff, so this appears to be a management problem.