“I Guess My Standards Are Too High...”
Review of Hen House - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hen House
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I Guess My Standards Are Too High...”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

After reading all the great reviews about this place I'm wonder what I'm missing...

We had breakfast in the outside patio area. It took 15 minutes to get seated although over half the tables were empty. The single waitress was clearly overwhelmed! I ordered the Huevos Rancheros. Granted this is a risky item to have in New England, but I wasd pretty impressed with Black Eye Susan's version of it so why not!

This thing was basically a quesadilla that was soggy on the bottom, dry and crisp on the top with an uneven distribution of stuffing with two ridiculously over cooked poached eggs on top! I would have gladly told the waitress of my issue but she was AWOL. I filled up on my wife's wheat toast and the crispy potatos dosed in ketchup. After a nice long wait for someone to pickup our credit card for payment, my wife walked the check and CC over to the waitress and mentioned I wasn't happy with my plate. She didn't respond at all although anyone looking at the plate with 85% of it's contents would know there was an issue.

Having owed a house here since the late 90's I realized few restaurants really care for your feedback and don't seem to worry about repeat business. There's always a new sucker out there and they'll eventually find them.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank cisco6

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Find....”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

They open early, unlike some places in town. It is not in town so not so many tourist but worth the walk or drive.
We sat outside, it was a nice sunny day, great spot. Food was good, service quick and attentive. Prices were reasonable and portions were great.
Great vegetarian option as well. I will definitley be back.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank tuckgirls
New York
“Awesome breakfast!”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Had the steak and eggs, along with an eye-popping Bloody Mary! Great service, really friendly, good food and prices are reasonable. It's also one of the few places on Nantucket to get food late at night ('til 2AM). Bar opens at 8AM if you need a little hair-of-the-dog!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank marty99x
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best breakfast/lunch taste and value on Nantucket”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

A gem hidden across the way from Stop & Shop mid-island. My family and I have made it a point to visit the Hen House several times during each of our visits to Nantucket for the past few years. They do both breakfast and lunch, and they're happy to accommodate a lunch meal craving at 7 am! The food is consistently delicious and fairly priced, and the staff are efficient without being overbearing. Highly recommended.

1 Thank GoogleyACK
Massachusetts
“Great Breakfast- Great Price- Great Service”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Such a homey atmosphere- great food and great prices and good for kids too! Just Great!

2 Thank elizmomof3