“Way over prices poor food” 2 of 5 bubbles

Club Car
Ranked #54 of 140 Restaurants in Nantucket
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hyannis, Massachusetts
“Way over prices poor food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We've never spent so much for over cooked fish. Very convenient location and a beautiful place, but for the price it should have been much better.

Visited May 2013

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
“Old Standby Good But Not Great Due To New Wait Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were over on the Island for a mi x of business and pleasure. I wanted to get a reservation here as use to hang out decades ago in the bar area ... This time we were in the dining room. Our reservation was for 7:30 and we arrived earlier as it was a miserable rainy night and just didn't feel like walking around the town.. Even though we arrived about 7:10 they took us right away and also gave us the table we wanted, which was right by a window and a side door. We had our Chessie with us and so he could be a bit out of the rain we had him leashed to a door where we could talk to him from the window and where he could hunker down out of the wind and rain. Our waiter came over right away and asked us if we wanted cocktails which we did. Me a Grey Goose martini extra dry with a twist and my husband an extra dry Tanguerey with olive.. We waited a bit and got our drinks served to us by a young woman who most likely was just starting. My martini came with a LIME, and I said to her I asked for a twist and she looked at me with a blank stare and said "You said you wanted this with a lime."(I believe she was from another country and working on the island for the summer) I said "NO I did not.
Right there of course she lost points with me ! So then she left the martini down and came back with a lemon! I said that the lime had flavoured my drink already but she mumbled something and off she went. We waited for our waiter to come back and we asked for water .. Which I felt we should not have had to ask for. He snapped his fingers to the water girl who also was of foreign extraction ,and did not speak English, and she brought over our water, but I had to ask several times throughout dinner for a fill up. We ordered the octopus appetizer and the crab cake. My husband enjoyed the octopus, and I felt the crab cake in the delicate sauce was award winning. Our waiter never rushed us and we told him we would have another martini. He called the woman over that had brought our drinks before and we told her we would each have the same as before. This time she brought mine correctly but brought my husband his with ONIONS. He said to her.. WHAT IS THIS, and she said "Your martini" He said "I didn't ask for onions, I have my martini with olives and again she said, he ordered it with ONIONS. HE said NO and thens he said "I will go get you olives and he said "NO" You will have the bartender make a new drink. She was stymied.. She really did not have a clue..IN the meantime our waiter told us the specials (we had held off ordering as wanted to have our martinis done before dinner) and we told him with ordering that please take time with the meals as we just got our second martini.. Our food came out too fast however. Husband had halibut and I had a shrimp scampi which was not a traditional scampi but very good. Between dinner and dessert the manager came over and asked how everything was. "We told him the faux pas with the drinks and he said " She has to learn, give her heck" I really felt that we were going to get comped at least two of the drinks (at 15 dollars a drink ..pricey) but no comp whatsoever.
We were in a good mood otherwise we would have shown displeasure at the attitude, and would have asked for a courtesy. Dessert was great. Homemade Peach Sorbet.. Meal was pricey, $275 with tip, I have had better food, and better service ,but would go back and sit in the bar . Perks were we met an old friend from Woods Hole we had not seen in years who now lives on the Island and we got to be near our dog all during dinner. They do need to get their staff better trained however.We will go back but next time will eat in the old bar area.I am giving this still a four star rating as it is better than most places but for the price it should be.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Polly N
Nantucket, Massachusetts
“Casual elegance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is the little restaurant that could! Could make you enjoy a lovely meal with a scrumptious wine pairing in a beautiful dining room and accompanying club car lounge. Mr. Pantorno and the excellent team there make sure you enjoy yourself.

Visited August 2012
Lake George, New York
“What a Surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've been coming to the island for 10 plus years and always walked past this place. Finally ate dinner there and WOW was I ever surprised. It was absolutely wonderful. One of the best meals I had out of the 6 restaurants I recently visited on the island. Everything was great from the bread to the salads, entree and desert. Expensive ( like everything on Nantucket) but well worth it. Ill be back next year for sure.

Visited September 2012
Province of Alicante, Spain
“Bad mark for lack of”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place is supposed to be one of the best recommended by locals. The food was correct despite the fact that when brought to the table, they must be still warm and NOT lukewarm. The lobster was a bit on the chewy side too! But worst of all is the very obscure bill which DOES NOT detail anything! and gives more than the impression that you have been ripped off!!
So Ask for a detailed bill!!

Visited September 2012