“Nice spot out of downtown”
Review of Fifty-Six Union

Fifty-Six Union
Reserve with OpenTable
Fifty-Six Union is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 144 Restaurants in Nantucket
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Celebrating their 17th season, Wendy and Peter Jannelle are proud of what they have created at Fifty-Six Union. The most recent addition is the outside space. Completely protected, with a full bar, the atmosphere is playful and fun. Dinner is served nightly (year-round) at 5:30 PM, offering Peter's House Specialties that include the best Curried Mussels in the World! Peter is a '78 graduate of The Culinary Institute of America. His career started by working on The Holland America Lines. Afterward he came to Nantucket and became the chef de cuisine at the now defunct India House Restaurant. This is where he met Wendy. Wendy and Peter have been on the Island since the early 80's, and have worked in some of the best kitchens and dining rooms on Nantucket. Their two sons, Andrew and Blair, have both taken turns working in the Family Business. Andrew's interest has been in the kitchen, while Blair can currently be seen behind the bar, or serving on the floor.
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We only stayed on the island for a day, but were very surprised by 56 Union. The owner Peter came out and personally greeted us. The staff was very nice and checked on us regularly. We ordered the curried mussels and dim sum for appetizers. Both were done perfectly. For dinner I had the salmon pad Thai. Very generous portion of fish, and delicious sauce. Nice selection of beers and mixed drinks. Hopefully we get another chance to visit the island and can enjoy the outdoor seating.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband and I got married at Fifty-Six Union in October and it was the perfect venue for our 70-person wedding. We were already familiar with the restaurant’s fun, cozy atmosphere and we knew the food would be excellent. Wendy and Peter (the owners) were great to work with, taking much of the stress out of wedding planning. Fifty-Six Union has a beautiful garden area where we had the ceremony and cocktail hour. Our guests enjoyed drinks from the outside bar as well as a variety of stationary and passed hors d’oeuvres before heading inside for dinner and dancing. Many of our guests have said the food was the best they've ever had at a wedding and commented on how excellent the service was. I highly recommend Fifty-Six Union for a private event or a dinner out, you’re sure to have a fantastic meal and a great time!

1  Thank Jenny B
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Nothing fries me more when it comes to a restaurant than a website menu that is out of date. If you are going to charge high prices, I expect the online menu to be updated. I chose 56 union based on a desert. The smore one to be exact. I thought about it for the two days prior to going and could not wait to sink my teeth into it. I’m sure you can see where this is going… I was pleasantly informed that this desert was no longer part of the menu after I finished my unappealing dinner. Grrrr
Overall I found the ambiance of 56 union charming and the service to be top notch. But this is nothing without good food. My husband and I came here this past September for dinner and I had the eggplant rollatini - I was incredibly disappointed. It lacked in flavor considerably to the point that I did not enjoy it. It was edible, but I could have done better at home. Then to find out the desert I was craving, have I mentioned I am preggo… was not available, left me leaving the restaurant in complete disappointment .With all of the great flavorful options on the island we will not be back.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We celebrated our anniversary at Fifty-Six Union. This is off-season on Nantucket, and it was mid week, so the restaurant was not overly crowded, but due to the return of their '3 for $15' dinners, business seemed steady. We chose to order off the regular menu, rather than the special. We had braised lamb shank and salmon pad Thai. Both meals were well prepared and presented. The waitstaff was friendly and efficient.

1  Thank Tomten175
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Wow! What a fun festive evening. Practically perfect in every way. With off-island friends in town, wanted to show off our island cuisine and 56 delivers. Our young waiter practically pampered us. Food was an imaginative blend of nuanced flavors with lovely presentation. Hostess offered excellent wine pairing suggestions. Lively vibe from other diners. Outdoor patio like an enchanted garden. Couldn't have had more fun.

1  Thank Dkkwriter