“Nice small restaurant with attractive Garden, good Food and service”
Review of Fifty-Six Union

Fifty-Six Union
Reserve with OpenTable
Fifty-Six Union is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 145 Restaurants in Nantucket
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Celebrating their 17th season, Wendy and Peter Jannelle are proud of what they have created at Fifty-Six Union. The most recent addition is the outside space. Completely protected, with a full bar, the atmosphere is playful and fun. Dinner is served nightly (year-round) at 5:30 PM, offering Peter's House Specialties that include the best Curried Mussels in the World! Peter is a '78 graduate of The Culinary Institute of America. His career started by working on The Holland America Lines. Afterward he came to Nantucket and became the chef de cuisine at the now defunct India House Restaurant. This is where he met Wendy. Wendy and Peter have been on the Island since the early 80's, and have worked in some of the best kitchens and dining rooms on Nantucket. Their two sons, Andrew and Blair, have both taken turns working in the Family Business. Andrew's interest has been in the kitchen, while Blair can currently be seen behind the bar, or serving on the floor.
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Located near Town, 56 Union has a pleasant atmosphere, good food and service. The garden is nice in season and there is a "separate dining tent" for special occasions. Menu good and has something for everyone. Parking on site. Open year round. Consistently good.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The atmosphere is nice, service was good. We were disappointed in the food. I ordered the Caesar salad and the cornbread croutons tasted stale. My husband had the beet salad which he said had absolutely no flavor. I ordered the sirloin steak and asked to substitute the potato for a second vegetable; asparagus. The steak came out with a few stalks of asparagus but no hericort verts which were also supposed to come with the steak. Other dishes ordered at our table were the pork chop and eggplant which were okay. I wouldn't go back, there are so many other restaurant choices in Nantucket with much better food.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This "gem" is just a little bit out of town, but it's really worth the trip. Excellent food by Peter and his crew and Wendy has the service just right! We have enjoyed this lovely restaurant for many years, and their performance shows why they continue to satisfy all tastes. The varied and interesting menu goes from a wonderful Burger to sublime Fluke. The Truffle fries are unbelievable. We always place an order when we arrive at our table! One of our favorites.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

To be fair to the restaurant, we walked in without a reservation, and could only be seated in the bar area. I think we were next to the Loud family, two couples who literally SCREAMED across the table for the whole meal. The ambiance for us was not good, but I WOULD GO BACK with a reservation for the dining room which I'm sure would be totally different. The food and service was excellent, and I admit our experience was not the fault of the restaurant. This is why just the average rating: our particular experience THAT EVENING that keeps it from excellent.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I agree the food is good and the ambiance is nice. But the service is terrible. In a half empty restaurant all night. We were served like it was a mad dash.
We asked the waitress for an app. while we decided what we wanted for dinner. She informed us she could not do that she had to put the order in all at once. So as I feared the salad came out, they grabbed the plate as soon as our fork went down and brought the entrée out. All in under 35 minutes. They cleared the bread and butter plate as we were eating, reaching over my meal. They did not ask if we wanted more wine.
I would take it personally but I saw this waitress doing this to all of the tables she served. If you are looking to dine and not just eat, pick another restaurant.

2  Thank bonnie56_13
gottaluvItaly, Owner at Fifty-Six Union, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that you were rushed through dinner, it is never our intention for that to happen. We will speak with our staff and remedy the dining experience at Fifty-Six Union.
Wendy & Peter