“Fabulous and a Feast For The Senses!”
Review of Boarding House

Boarding House
Ranked #36 of 145 Restaurants in Nantucket
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: India
Description: Chef-Owners Seth and Angela Raynor, and Chef-de-Cuisine Tony Adams know that on Nantucket, you don’t need to look far to find a bounty of fresh, organic ingredients. Using produce from local farms, seafood caught daily by local fishermen, and regional heritage meats, the Boarding House offers authentic farm-to-table cuisine served with a focus on old school hospitality. The Boarding House is situated in the heart of Nantucket’s historic downtown; the glowing cellar dining room, lovely patio, and lively bar continually deliver stellar dinners, great drinks, and Best of Boston award-winning weekend brunch. The Boarding House holds Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence for its unique collection of wines, champagnes, and roses. The veteran bar team craft both classic and innovative cocktails, anchored by a notable collection of small-batch bourbons and spirits. We look forward to welcoming you to the Boarding House.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I was turned on to this restaurant by a dear friend and fellow foodie from Southern California. My wife and I wanted to dine someplace memorable while on Nantucket and we were not disappointed! Everything was incredible, not only in taste but in presentation as well! Start with the lobster bisque which has phenomenally complex layers of flavor and strong note of Pernod running through it. After that marvel at one of the selection of creative salads crafted with locally sourced greens then move on to a sumptious entree. Culinary memories like these do not come often so savor every course!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was going to a poetry reading across the street at the public library one evening when I saw this particular restaurant - it looked uncrowded and a great place to stop in at the bar. So I did. I wound up having a Kale-Caesar Salad, a Lobster Bisque and a couple of glasses of wine. This tidy little snack cost more than $50.00. It was good, the salad was good, the wine was fine, but bread does not come with your soup and salad - that's extra. Get a clue - bread should come with every meal - period. By the time that I left, the place was mobbed - so it is very popular.

The bar does have a cozy feel and the bartenders were nice guys and very adept at their craft. Still, I felt like a soup and salad and a couple of glasses of their most moderate wine was overpriced - but that is not particular to them - all Nantucket restaurants gouge people with their prices. I'm willing to believe that it has something to do with additional costs of transporting food over water...but I am a regular in Rehoboth Del., where the food - is - well just plain better and the service is better and the selection is quite broad. There is nothing really special about Nantucket restaurants other than that you are in Nantucket, and who wouldn't want to be there?

Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed in the quality and quantity of the food. We did visit during a busy weekend, so we understood why it took so long for the food to come out, but the price of the meal was expensive and not worth the wait. I would not go back there again.

Angela R, Owner at Boarding House, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you for joining on the holiday weekend, I am sorry your experience did not work for you.
Best wishes in your future dining experiences.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I generally don't waste my time writing reviews about bad experiences, a small percentage of which get written up. I prefer to share positive experiences and focus on rewarding well-run places with a well-deserved review.

It was a 2pm lunch for my family. I ordered a $25 lobster benedict -- the lobster consisted of five TINY bits of lobster (most likely trimmings from the cutting board when preparing preparing lobster for the dinner main dish). I was so shocked -- I asked the waitress if this was the standard preparation of this dish, she said yes. [By the way, the next day I ate at another Nantucket restaurant, Sea Grille, the 1.3 lb lobster was $25 accompanied with 6 large spears of grilled asparagus and fries].

My wife and daughter had fried chicken and waffles. Chicken was tasteless, overcooked and dry. The syrup was not even maple syrup. The beer-infused syrup tasted like a brown sugar liquid, dyed brown, flavored with stale beer. The waffle was this "mush". Awful. Later in the week, we had fried chicken take-out from Sayle's Seafood (Nantucket), and it was one of the best fried chicken we've had and at a fraction of the price here.

The staff (6+) seemed more preoccupied with the group of customers (mostly women) at the bar as if incoming customers were an annoyance to their social hour. Staff was nonchalant and was more eager to get back to their chit-chat with those at the bar.

This restaurant has a great location. The name of the restaurant should be changed to "Lousy but expensive bar at an expensive prime location".

1  Thank MILKONY

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your brunch with us a couple weeks ago.
Owning and operating seasonal restaurants on Nantucket presents challenges at times to say the least. We have shared your experience with our entire team and value the comments as an important learning tool for us this season. The Lobster Benedict has been modified to reflect our standards from previous season- clearly not what you experienced. The Chicken and waffles with the bourbon infused Vermont maple syrup has been assessed as well. Our team is always striving to exceed our guests expectations on every level. Please ask for a manager if you ever have such an experience anywhere in the future- I speak for my team, when I say our managers, chefs work hard to create great experiences we do truly care what happens with our guests.
I would not have allowed you to be charged for the experience you had.
Best wishes in your future dining experiences,
Angela Raynor- owner

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Nice spot to sit outdoors on the patio. We have been for dinner, but this was our first time having Sunday brunch. The coffee was excellent, served in its own pot to keep it hot. The menu is limited but they seem happy to adjust items to suit needs. The salad nicoise was deconstructed but lovely. My husband enjoyed the burger but did not enjoy the homemade ketchup on the side, as it tasted very sweet and harshly acidic like BBQ sauce. Service was fine, prices are a little high, but the outdoor seating is the real draw.