“Great dinner at the bar”
Review of Boarding House

Boarding House
Reserve with OpenTable
Boarding House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 144 Restaurants in Nantucket
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: India
Description: Chef-Owners Seth and Angela Raynor, and Chef-de-Cuisine Tony Adams know that on Nantucket, you don’t need to look far to find a bounty of fresh, organic ingredients. Using produce from local farms, seafood caught daily by local fishermen, and regional heritage meats, the Boarding House offers authentic farm-to-table cuisine served with a focus on old school hospitality. The Boarding House is situated in the heart of Nantucket’s historic downtown; the glowing cellar dining room, lovely patio, and lively bar continually deliver stellar dinners, great drinks, and Best of Boston award-winning weekend brunch. The Boarding House holds Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence for its unique collection of wines, champagnes, and roses. The veteran bar team craft both classic and innovative cocktails, anchored by a notable collection of small-batch bourbons and spirits. We look forward to welcoming you to the Boarding House.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

After a very good meal at a sister restaurant, we took a chance of eating here without a reservation. Unable to get a table, we were able to get two seats at the small bar area. We had the tuna crudo appetizer, the sweet corn pasta, and the strawberry shortcake. All three items were excellent and we felt like we had three waiters serving us with the bar staff more than helpful with menu questions, suggestions. The prices were higher here than the sister restaurant but typical for Nantucket at this caliber. We would definitely return but I would strongly suggest to others to not risk going without a reservation. I also wish we didn't eat such a late lunch so we could have tried more items here.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love sitting outside on the sidewalk cafe portion of the Boarding House Restaurant. The fresh air is wonderful and the people watching is great. Unfortunately, the food was almost inedible. And it was expensive to boot. My cocktail seemed watered down. A vodka soda tasted like soda.

I had beef carpaccio that was unlike any version of beef carpaccio I have ever eaten. It was drenched in some liquid that I cannot describe. It wasn't a tasty liquid. The end result was soggy beef carpaccio. I then had the soft shell crab appetizer as my main course. It was fried, not sautéed as I expected, but it was tasty. Unfortunately, it was accompanied by something that was so tart and citrus as to be inedible.

Anyone who reads my other reviews knows that I am usually positive and upbeat. But that is impossible with the current situation at the Boarding House. Shame on them.

hanamama, Owner at Boarding House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us invaluable input on your dining experience. I am very disappointed your experience did not meet either your expectations or our standards. It is truly is a shame we were not made aware of your displeasure while you were with us, we would have been able to follow-up with the garde-manger/Chef on your Carpaccio immediately, addressing any errors by our team. We also would have removed the dish from your check. The soft shell crab tempura is one of our most popular appetizers. Please email us if you wish to give us another try in the future, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Boarding House as our guest. Sincerely, Angela Raynor- proprietor

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Hit the spot! Our first night in Nantucket warranted a great meal and The Boarding House delivered. I had the Day Scallop dish with a side of grilled asparagus. My husband had the grilled tuna-all delicious. A nice half bottle of Trimbach Riesling topped it off. Would recommend again.

Thank you for joining us at The Boarding House! We are thrilled you loved your experience and appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts on your meal with us.
Best, Angela Raynor- Proprietor

Reviewed June 29, 2013

My daughter recommended the Boarding House and we were very pleased. We always eat outside when possible so rarely see the inside of Nantucket restaurants. We decided to head inside the Boarding House. It has a surprising and unique decor. The service was excellent and we enjoyed our meal. I think we would try for a table in the bar area. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

you HAVE to go here one of your nights in town.
whether outdoor patio to just chill on a nice night or go downstairs to the beautiful underground, copper arches
- think tavern on the green meets speakeasy.
great location, -the food is just amazing and the service is just wonderful.
-the yellowfin tuna is outstanding.
and ironically if you want fried chicken - this place makes it PERFECT!!
stick around for desserts- they are thee best!!esp the milk and cookies.
finished the night with an awesome moscato while we lingered and chit-chatted with the great staff!!
definitely a MUST visit spot in nantucket