“Awful Waiter”

Ranked #29 of 141 Restaurants in Nantucket
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Unique Coastal Kitchen & Drinks. Awarded 'Best Seafood Restaurant' in New England - New England Travel & Life. Best of Award of Excellence Wine Spectator 2015. ZAGAT top table. Executive Chef-Owners, Angela & Seth Raynor have been recognized locally and nationally for culinary innovation, beautiful decor and warm hospitality. Wok Fried Lobster | Prime Porterhouse for 2 | BBQ Beef with sauce | Dinner nightly Mid May
Nantucket, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful Waiter”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I dined at The Pearl last night for the first time even though we,ve both lived here for more than 30years. We thought it would be something special for our anniversary and the food, atmosphere and the staff were excellent. Our problem was the server; he was very inattentive and arrogant. He couldn't be found to get a glass of wine or even a bit of pepper.He dropped off dessert/coffee menus without ever checking how our entrees were or if we even wanted dessert.
We couldn't even find him to get our check.
Honestly he nearly ruined our evening by being so negative but the rest of the staff was so friendly and attentive; that they kind of covered his butt.
My husband and I have both waited tables and know that in late September we are all tired and feeling a bit under appreciated but this guy was downright rude. So if you see the long dark haired waiter with scruffy beard....ask for a new server. Seth and Angela do such a good job; this guy put a real black mark on their beautiful restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Becca S

Hartford, CT
“So disappointing.”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I come to Nantucket several times a year and oddly, have never been to The Pearl. Thought we'd give it a try. Wow, what a disappointing experience. First of all, you should know that this place "is the place to be seen", so if you like that atmosphere...enjoy. Its super loud and tables are close together. Acoustics horrible. The bar area is small and crowded so forget having a drink while you wait for your table. We waited by the front door. When we sat down they brought bread and we ordered a bottle of wine ($63 for a $15 bottle). Our table was wobbly to the point of our wine splashing, so I told the waiter. His response "we'll fix it in a sec". His response should have been "let us move you right away". So he sent over one of the bus staff to fix the table. My husband had to back his chair up while the guy slid various corks under the table. His face was basically at eye level with our rolls during this project. We ended up moving to the table next to us. The surgery on our previous table contined for about 5 min while we sat next to it. He had the table flipped on its side , etc. Nice while we were trying to enjoy a conversation.
Food: tuna martini--excellent! I ordered the panko halibut. Cooked perfectly-strong lemongrass flavor. My husband ordered this spicy thai tofu veggie dish. It was really spicy, but good. We also got dessert. Our bill: $200. Wow. Paid the bill and left. Then, got a call at 11:00 pm on my cell phone that their computer "got messed up" and they lost our credit card info so our bill was unpaid and could I please call them. Really? So now I have to deal with that this afternoon. Talk about an inconvenience on a long weekend. I will say that the owner or manager who is walking around the restaurant could not be nicer. She's the best part of the Pearl. But, There are so many other great restaurants on ACK, we won't be going here again.

1 Thank gofish2
hanamama, Owner at The Pearl, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
First of all, I am truly sorry you had such an unfortunate experience at the pearl. I am the owner and really enjoyed speaking with you and your husband on Saturday night. We had juggled the room and tables around before service to try and accommodate some guests who increased the size of their party- in the end the effort was wasted as the guests no-showed and left the remaining tables- including yours placed in a very close proximity to the other tables, and one table completely off kilter and in need off repair. As to your experience- your server was beyond off his game with your table, unacceptable and I could not agree with you more about the handling of your table placement and the in service repair of your previous table.
I was beyond disappointed and at a complete loss when I learned that the server deleted the credit card from your table and then asked a hostess to call you at 11pm- we have never called a guest after 9:30 at night- unless there is an emergency. I spoke with our team after service about your experience, expressed my concern, frustration and disappointment with the above aspects of your evening. Please let me know if you would be willing to join us as our guest on a future date- if not at the pearl, then at the Boarding House or Corazon del Mar- I will phone you to follow-up personally. Again, our apologies.
Angela
Weymouth, Massachusetts
“Overrated”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I booked a reservation here because it was reviewed so highly and I needed a nice place for a special occasion. From the reviews I read here, I expected a lot better and left disappointed and broke ;) The food was good... we got the wok fried lobster, which has won some awards I guess, but definitely not worth the $65 you pay for it. The service was good, not great. The atmosphere was not what I was looking for - it was loud, the tables were really close together so you had no privacy, and the banquette seats were so uncomfortable I couldn't wait to get out of there, the decor was cheap, and there was only one bathroom which had a line of people waiting at it all night - right next to our table. All in all, I wouldn't waste your time going here, there are much better places. (We went to Languedoc the next night and it was awesome!)

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Jackie C
hanamama, Owner at The Pearl, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We are sorry you did not enjoy your experience at the pearl as much as the other reviews led you to believe you would. Nantucket is fortunate to have a talented restaurant community with a variety of wonderful options for guests to enjoy. We love our friends at the Languedoc and are thrilled to hear that was a perfect fit for your dining tastes. One footnote on your experience, we do have three restrooms at the pearl for our patrons to use, our space is not large and is definitely busy during August. We hope you enjoy all of your future dining experiences on Nantucket and beyond.
Best, Angela & Seth
“Sashimi Martini was Amazing”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice experience. The Signature app - Sashimi Martini - was really really good. We did two more small plates which were also spectacular. We then split the signature entree - the fried lobster- which was good, but not as good as the tuna martini.

hanamama, Owner at The Pearl, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for joining us at the pearl. We value all of our guest and appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Our Chefs take great pride in selecting the freshest fish, produce and supporting local farms and fishermen. The tuna martini has been on the menu since the day we opened, we are thrilled you loved it as much as we do!
Hope to see you again soon at the pearl,
Angela & Seth
Mexico City, Mexico
“ESPLÉNDIDO , SPICY”
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Gr8t Cheff

We loved The spiciness OF The beautiful garnished dishes, i had sushi cakes with spicy halibut , sishito peppers,sautéed mushrooms and the BEST halibut curry with coconut milk. If you come to Nantucket THIS IS A MUST

1 Thank monyh
hanamama, Owner at The Pearl, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our restaurant, the pearl.
We have a dedicated team of talented people working with us to created and serve unique dishes inspired by our love of exotic coastal cuisines. We love to hear from our guests and learn so much each evening on ways to further enhance our guests dining experiences.
Angela & Seth