“Not the best”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Essex Room
Cuisines: American
Description: The Essex Room is a few restaurant in the Jared Coffin House in Nantucket. We had a wonderful dinner there and I would like to write a review.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Menu was limited. We only ate there because we were staying there and on the first night we were tired and didn't want to walk elsewhere, wish we had.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Nice contemporary decor with Asian flair which I liked. The 4 of us all had great meal. Service was very attentive but not overbearing. For a busy town on a Friday nite, the place was not busy. Pricey but in the range of most of the other better places.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The food was acceptable but they have to remember that bread when requested should be on the table and finding obscure reasons for not having it and charging 6 $ for a few slices of sourdough is indecent and deserves this note.

2  Thank Chawket M
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Let me first preface this review by saying that of three experiences at Jared Coffin House, we have had one excellent lunch on the patio. However, we have had two terrible experiences - and for such a classy establishment, we would expect the service and food to be consistently top notch.

The excellent lunch that we had was with a couple of friends on their way off island after having stayed at Jared Coffin House. We had a couple of burgers and tuna burgers and both meals were excellent. The service was great and handled by a nice guy who had to take care of a few too many tables for a busy lunch seating. It was a little slow since they didn't have enough staff, but it was a great day and the food and kind service made up for it.

The first bad experience that we had was with the concierge at the beginning of August. We had a lunch reservation at Toppers (their sister restaurant at the Wauwinet hotel) and one of the perks of eating there is taking 'The Lady' shuttle boat from Nantucket town to the Wauwinet. For some unknown reason, it seemed as though the concierge was not in the mood to help us get reservations on the boat and preferred to dismiss us. So, they told us not to worry as getting on the boat wouldn't be a problem as it leaves every hour. She told us to call in the morning and they would book us on the most convenient shuttle. It really seemed like she just wanted to get rid of us. Unfortunately for us, it turns out that the boat only travels once a day (before noon), and you need to make reservations well in advance. My impression of the interaction was rather than just tell us that we wouldn't be able to get on the boat and that we needed to take the free shuttle van, she preferred to make it someone else's problem the next day.

The second bad experience was at the restaurant in late August. My wife and I went to the patio around 5:00 pm to have a couple of evening drinks. We arrived and were greeted by Heidi. We told her that we were interested in grabbing a couple of drinks and sitting on the patio. She pointed to a couple of dark tables close to the indoor space and we told her that we would prefer to sit on the sunnier side of the patio. It is important to keep in mind that it was a very slow time and there was only one other family sitting outside. Immediately after we mentioned that, before seating us, she said, "Do you know what you want?" We hadn't even seen a menu! So, my wife tells her that we would prefer to sit and see a menu before ordering. Heidi says, "You know, the only bar open is inside, so I will need to go in there to make your drinks." I was a little taken aback and I my initial reaction was, "okay, no problem." I didn't really get that she was trying to shoe us away. When she said it the second time, my wife and I knew it was time to leave.

So, those are our three experiences and Jarred Coffin House. Two were negative and one was positive. If you do stay there or go for a meal, I hope that your experiences are better than ours were.

1  Thank Michael G