“miniature room with high price tag”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Vanessa Noel Hotel

and 1 more site!
Vanessa Noel Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Nantucket
Cranston, Rhode Island, United States
“miniature room with high price tag”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

First of all, you have to be fit to climb the almost vertical staircase up 2 flights. The room is called by them "cozy". It is extremely small. The bathroom is small. My husband and I hit our elbows constantly on the shelves in the shower. One person allowed at a time. You cannot use the sink and have someone use the toilet. The linens on the bed were awesome. The towels were spectacular. But, for us, undoable and will not return and, sadly, can not refer my friends. The best part about staying at the Vanessa Noel is the fabulous bakery around the corner.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jodys C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I recently spent a long weekend at this charming hotel…with the most comfortable bed I ever slept on! The exquisitely furnished room was spotless, the bathroom had all one could ask for and Hermes toiletries to boot! Vanessa’s staff was welcoming and accommodating. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donald D
Lititz, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

I went for my husband for a two night stay and it was awful. The first room was dirty, the paint was peeling off the ceiling, the tv was broke, and there were bugs in the lighting fixture. They moved us to a second room which had the same problems. We were then moved into the Vanessa Noel from the Green hotel and the room only fit the small double bed. The shampoo and lotion bottles were half used. The ac did not work. We could not call the front desk because the phone was not working! We ended up only staying one night and left!
When we went to the board the ferry a woman was also complaining about the hotel.
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
16 Thank kristen p

Travelers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

The check in process took 15 minutes because the woman behind the desk was torn between checking me in and attending to a casual personal phone call.
The room was cozy and the bed was very comfortable. The location of the hotel was also very good.
When it came time to check out, the front office door was locked and no bill was placed under my door. It has been two months, an email and 3 phone calls later and not only have I not received a bill, I have not been able to make contact with anyone at the hotel as it always goes to an answering machine and calls are not returned.
While the hotel itself is fine, there are several other options in the area and I would avoid this one just for customer service headaches.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Caytie221
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel's only good qualities are the location and the staff. The Stiletto Room had paint hanging from the ceiling with a 3 by 4 foot dark water stain. Windows with broken panes and chipped paint are everywhere. The faucet in the bathroom leaked causing water to run everywhere. This hotel is absolutely not worth the price. Keep looking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kevin D
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was easily the smallest room my wife and I have ever stayed in. There was barely enough room to turn around or open a suitcase. At $350 per night that was a serious disappointment
The air conditioner in the room was ver loud, and it occasionally spit out small chunks of ice
The TV was fuzzy, and not very easy to control. The hotel staff were very helpful and the location was excellent, right in the middle of town with nice shops and restaurants. It was just way too cramped so we will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tom S
East Aurora, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Beware when booking at this hotel. Their website advertises amazing things. And likely they are partially true. But the hotel consists of two buildings, the Vanessa Noel and the Hotel Green. The first apparently is as described, the second is where they stuck us.

For the price we paid, we were fairly shocked when arriving in the room. What was advertised as a chic boutique hotel was more like a slightly run down boarding house. (Yes Vanessa, that's what it looks like.) We were sold a room with a private bath. Yes, true. But it was across the hall. Had to think twice about running to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Very tiny sink, no counter, no bathtub, tiny shower stall, the water ran cold when someone downstairs flushed a toilet.

The room was room was fairly clean, just don't look around too closely, and the staff was prompt about making up the room when we were out. But there were no amenities in the room aside from a blow dryer, TV and noisy A/C unit. No coffee pot. No ice bucket. Not even a closet! (Just a clothes rack extending from one of the walls. (wish I had pictures)

I've read the few surprisingly positive reviews and apparently there are one or two really nice rooms like the one they took photos of for their website. But trust me, all of the other "bad" reviews are right on target.

Understandably, they require payment in advance with a 100% cancellation fee if you cancel inside of 15 days of the reservation. (rather extreme. Most hotels allow cancellation outside of 24 hours with a nominal fee) So if you book for 3 nights and decide to leave after the first night because you hate it, they stick you for the remaining 2 nights. We would have left immediately if not for that.

I will add that our reservation required us to switch rooms after two nights. This was due to our asking them to add a third night to our reservation well after we had made the original booking. I mention this only in that we were able to stay in a room with a private bath that was actually in the same room (not across the hall) for our last night. This room was almost $100 more than the first room, yet was nearly identical in all respects with the exception that we didn't have to cross the hall to take a shower. The lack of counter space in the bathroom actually caused them to toss all the standard toiletry items in a try that was placed on the floor in a corner of the bathroom. I guess that's "chic"??

I must reiterate that the staff was very friendly and professional. And the location was ideal for access to everything in the center of town. I wouldn't say the beaches were within walking distance for someone not used to a good long walk. Only one beach would really be within reasonable walking distance (maybe 20 minutes). We hit nearly every beach on the island, but we went by rented scooter.

We did enjoy our stay on Nantucket despite the shortcomings of the hotel. After all, we didn't go there to stay in the room the entire time.

P.S. regarding the bedding, it was clean and comfortable, however my wife finds the pillows to be very important and she would say the pillows on the beds were in a word, "awful".

Room Tip: Get the one in their website picture. The rest are sub-par.