We were looking for a place that we can call our home away from home, as we grow as a family. We found the perfect place at the Boat Basin cottages. It is perfectly located and very comfortable. We stayed at the Upper Mermansion. It is on the pricey end and yes, it is cramped and the kitchen is not new (it is called Mermansion, not McMansion!) - but there was much thought on detail and service to make our visit stress free.
What we thought:
- Service is topnotch. Knowledgeable, great listeners and you get the sense that they all love what they do. Ally from the front desk is excellent! They genuinely try to accommodate as best as they can within their constraints. We were interested in seeing how other cottages look (for our next stay!) and they were more than happy to tour us.
They are not your traditional hotel/condotel, but they did think of ways to close the gap and I think they are even more responsive than your typical hotel. We stayed the week before Memorial Day and there is no front desk personnel after a certain hour. There is a black phone set up at the entrance so you can contact personnel at the Jared Coffin house (our key stopped working and they were there to help us in no time). In another example, on our first day, we noticed the K-cup machine and the toaster would not work when used at the same time. We called the front desk and in less than 5 mins, there was an engineer in our unit checking out the switch box. They also have the perks of a nice hotel - access to a spa, etc.
- Accommodations. Cramped and very clean. How tiny ... the sink is 2.5 feet off the ground, shower stall is 2.5 ft square (but hey, water temperature is nice and towels are fluffy). Interestingly, they managed to situate the windows in our unit such that we have great privacy and good light. The unit is tiny but given all the pluses we were ok with that. Yes, the kitchen looks dated but again, that's not important to us. It is functional and most important - impeccably clean.
- Location is Excellent. The Upper Mermansion is on the end of the dock and has great water views. As noted in other reviews, the grocery store is on the other end of the dock and excellent for essentials (bottled water, etc). Everything is within a 10 minute walk.
We had such a great experience, we cannot think of considering any other place when we come back for future trips. Including some pix here. Tripadvisor only allows three. We hope these are helpful ... I had a hard time visualizing (e.g., how tiny is "tiny"?) when I was reading reviews.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cottages at Nantucket Boat Basin offer a front row view of the island's natural wonder. Enjoy waterfront cottages and lofts with decks and harbor views, kitchens, free Wi-Fi, bicycles, a beach bus and pet friendly accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your The Cottages at Nantucket Boat Basin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cottages At Boat Basin Hotel Nantucket