“The best of the best”

Ranked #17 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
North Dighton, MA
“The best of the best”
Reviewed August 20, 2009

This was our second stay at Hawthorn House and was again very happy with our choice.
It is about cleanliness and location. We did more research for our second stay and Hawthorn House was at the top as far as location and price. The owners were as gracious and accommodating as the first time. The rooms are very comfortable and the cleanliness is outstanding. It is on a quiet street, however, you are less than a 5 minute walk to Main Street and the docks. Great for shopping and dining. We will continue to stay at Hawthorn House any time we venture to the great island of Nantucket.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
cape cod
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I had decided to take a weekend away from it all away from all the hustle and bustle of daily life as a Mom and business owner. It was spontainious and well deserved. My husband and I stay on Nantucket 2x a year. We've stayed at alot of the up scale B&B's that are well worth the price but this time I really wanted to stay at a place in town and different than I'm used to. I found Hawthorn House on the web. It looked perfect. My room was #2. When I got there I noticed a little walk way leading to a couple of chairs and a small screen door. I saw on the outside a sign reading "cubbyhole" I asked the gracious inn owners, Mitch and Diann,lovely couple, if I could see the cubbyhole. They said of course. When Diann opened the door I was in love with it. It awas perfect for my little stay. The rooms were super clean. Mitch andDiann were very accomidating and helpful. I will come back when I want some quality time to myself. It was a gem. Iwould have to say the only small drawback was having a hard time connecting to the internet. I'm sure if I brought it to their attention they would have helped. It wasnt that important.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Anacortes, WA
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Natucket was on our "Bucket List" and since we only had a few days we wanted to stay right in town. We left our car in Hyannis and were able to walk from the Steamship Authority dock to the Hawthorn. We walked to all the shops, resaurants and many historic sites. We were in and out all day dropping off shopping, changing clothes and resting up for more.

Our reasonably priced rooms were bright, attractive and not overly frilly. With the money we saved we had lots of chowder and lobster at Sayle's Seafood. The breakfast option was great and we particularly loved the blueberry stuffed french toast at Arno's.

If you are looking for a sleepy "tea and cookies in the afternoon" B&B you better stay out of town. If you are upright and mobile, active and inquisitive you should stay in town at the Hawthorn. We are 68 and glad we chose the latter. Nantucket is back at the bottom of our list. Hopefully we'll make it back to the Hawthorn.

• Liked — Location and price.
  • Disliked — Limited space for socializing.
1 Thank jimmymac328
boston
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Although our stay was only one night, we found the Hawthorn House to be a great place to stay. The inn was convenient to everything downtown- close to the ferries, all the shops and restaurants. The room was cute and we felt a great sense of privacy; our room (#2) even had a little porch with rocking chairs, which made up for a lack of indoor common space. Definitely would recommend it to anyone.

2 Thank smapdi75
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My Husband and I stayed at the Hawthorn House two weeks ago. It was our first trip to Nantucket and we were blown away by this little gem of an island.
The location of the Hawthorn House can't be beat. It is walking distance to everything in town. I mean it is right there. That said it can be noisy but we put the fan on in the air conditioner and we heard nothing from that point on. We stayed in room 3 which is one of the larger rooms on the second floor. It was quite spacious and we had a King bed. I have to say the bed was the only downside, it was extremely uncomfortable for me. It is either really old or not very high quality or both. My Husband was fine with it though so it may be fine for some. All things equal it was a great value and location in Nantucket.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The bed
2 Thank cheriev
Man-from-Nantucket, owner at Hawthorn House, responded to this review, September 30, 2008
The bed in question was purchased in 2005.
Both the boxsprings and mattress were replaced at that time. The model is a Serta Perfect Sleeper Five Star Hotel series.

Honestly, this is the very first complaint we have received regarding this bed, Most people who sleep on it tell us it was the ..."best nights sleep they've had in a long time. " That being said. We always buy extra firm matteresses because most of our clients prefer them. Maybe this was the issue.
Rhode Island
Reviewed September 27, 2008

We just returned from our stay on Nantucket Island having stayed at The Hawthorne House. The accommodations were very beautiful and homey and the decor was absolutely exquisite. The innkeepers Mitch and Diane were very accommodating and helpful making our visit to Nantucket a very enjoyable one.
We will be recommending the Hawthorne House to our family and friends. We have stayed at many B & B's over the years and we must say that this was the best by far.

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank Cycliststwo
Cincinnati,Ohio
Reviewed July 18, 2008

My friend and I arrived on Sunday afternoon and were met by one of the owners. This is our second time staying at the Hawthrone House and for the second time we were very impressed with the service and the room. If there was any problem, it was addressed right away.

We had a more than comfortable room w/ a bathroom and the porch on the side of the house is perfect for an afternoon nap ,reading or relaxing. We especially liked the nine dollar breakfast coupons to two great restaurants on Main Street.

We highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a charming Nantucket Bed and Breakfast located close to the center of town.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends