“Heavenly accommodations in the heart of Nantucket!”

White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Our friends told us that when visiting Nantucket, there was only 1 place to stay which was the White Elephant! They have either the White Elephant Hotel or the White Elephant Residences. We stayed at the Residences in a 2-bedroom residence with our adult children. Everyone each had their own perfect space, with every amenity you can wish for in a deluxe property! The unit itself is beautifully furnished in cape cod style with the finest linens and furnishings! The bathrooms were bright and filled with wonderful towels and products! It was great having a small kitchen too where you can make coffee, and enjoy some food at home.

We rented bicycles from the residence lobby area, and rode along the trails to the various beaches, etc. A lovely way to explore Nantucket, in addition to walking!

Room Tip: We had a 2-bedroom residence on the first floor, which was a great location right down the driveway...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
tania j, Manager at White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. The bikes are definately a big hit with all of our guests.

There are newer reviews for White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This five star resort is the most comfortable place I've stayed in 28 years on Nantucket. Our two bedroom unit had everything, including the most comfortable robes and slippers. The staff was incredible, friendly and wonderful. Each night bottles of water were left in our unit and beside our beds. The pool is wonderful, the staff there is incredible too. I might suggest to the staff to tell guests not to play foot ball in the pool, but I still relaxed. I hope to return next year and every year to the White Elephant Residences.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Your point about football by the pool is very valid and we have had a staff discussion about suggesting to our guests the better locations for such activities. We hope to greet you as our guests again in the near future.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

My Sister and I went to visit Nantucket for the first time ever. We went to see the Daffodil Festival April 27-29, 2012. The festival was wonderful. The hotel gave us a bad taste for Nantucket though. We thought White Elephant would be one of the better establishments and we paid a pretty penny to stay there. It was one disappointment after another. The first problem we had was transportation upon exiting the ferry. The White Elephant Hotel "Residences" van, we reserved to pick us up, had already left before we even got our luggage. So we asked the van driver for the White Elephant "Hotel" if he could give us a ride. When we told him we were going to the "Residences" he just looked at us and said that driver already left and could not take us. So we were left there stranded with no ride to the hotel. There is no excuse for such poor customer service! Why was the driver not checking off guests names to make sure he had everyone on the van that made a reservation?

Then we were so hungry when we got there we decided to get a quick bite to eat right at the hotel restaurant, Brant Point Grille. We paid a whopping $90 for LUNCH and it was by far the most horrible, poorest quality, lunch I ever had. I paid $18 for a frozen patty hamburger that came with no sides and my Sister had a personal sized pizza and it came with a salad on TOP of it for $15. Appetizer crabcake was cold in the middle for $15, plus chowder with no taste or clams for $13. One cannot get Zinfandel wine, frozen drinks of any kind or blue cheese dressing at this restaurant. Are you kidding me? This hotel is several blocks from the ocean and guest stay there mostly in the heat of the Summer and they do not serve any frozen drinks!

Then the hotel staff placed a family with young, screaming, running, children right next to us. The walls were so paper thin you could actually hear someone using the toilet. So when we mentioned the noise to the staff the manager called us and asked US if we wanted to be moved. You should move the noisy guest with children, not ask us to move.

This hotel really spoiled our first ever visit to Nantucket. I'm not sure if I would go again. But if I do, I will not stay at any of the six White Elephant establishments for fear of getting the same poor customer service and very poor quality food. This includes Wauwinet Hotel, White Elephant Hotel, Villages & Residences, Jared Coffin House, The Cottages & Lofts and the Nantucket Boat Basin. Plus, the Residences are not close to the ocean or the downtown area.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank LadybugNH
tania j, Manager at White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review, while it was indeed very hard to read you definately gave us some valuable insight. I know Nantucket was on your bucket list and it really isnt fair that so many things went wrong. My only wish is that I knew of your disppointment while you were here so I could have made amends immediately, but I will reach out to you directly to do so.
My sincere apologies,
Tania Jones

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have stayed at the residences twice: The first time my husband and another couple shared a two bedroom on the second floor during the Christmas stroll of 2010 and the second time four of my girlfriends and I shared a two bedroom on the first floor in June of 2011. Both rooms are absolutely STUNNING. From the moment you pick up your keys to your stylish getaway you will be overly impressed! The service...Cavel at reservations is absolutely amazing! She knew with 4 adults and a 2 year old we would be very comfortable in the residences and she was absolutely right! The bathrooms were my favorite part! Two huge sinks, a well lit mirror, and a huge tub to boot! AMAZING! The residences will never disappoint! Also, the residences are across the street from Lola 41. YAY!!!

Room Tip: The second floor lofts all have vaulted ceilings and fireplaces. If you can afford it I would opt fo...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

We are delighted that you enjoyed it so much and hopefully we will see you again in 2012! We are currently adding 14 suites and 6 deluxe rooms so will have even more options for you by early summer this year.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Booked a wonderful post Labor Day week through RueLaLa and an amazing time! Everyone was exceptionally helpful. We had a two bedroom unit, which was tastefully and comfortably furnished with every detail included, including a washer and dryer. While the weather could have been warmer and sunnier, everything at the White Elephant was top drawer. We will go back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
tania j, Manager at White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Many thanks for your positive review. We're sorry it wasn't a little warmer, but glad it didnt seem to effect your vacation too much.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I checked in here in early September after the summer and Labor Day crowds left. The front staff treated us like royalty. My jaw dropped when I walked in and saw our retreat. It was beautiful, like a country chic home. Every morning I woke, turned on the fireplace in the front room, used the complimentary cd's and bose player, and curled up with a complimentary art book. Nantucket was beautiful, but I never wanted to leave our residence. If we wanted reservations they happily made them, and if I wanted bikes they were out front with water bottles in the baskets. We even had two bathrooms which had every amenity. It was quiet, the bed was heavenly, and i enjoyed the chocolate covered cranberries every day. We went into the main room and brought rolls back in the morning, made coffee and planned our day. In the afternoon, we got wine and cheese and crackers and planned our evening. If was convenient to everything in town too. One afternoon we had lunch in the main building. The White Elephant makes fantastic Bloody Mary's and lobster rolls. It was a beautiful setting on the harbor. Decorated too for the start of Fall. I truly was sad to leave. I could have moved in there. Pricey but SO worth it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Looks like you've discovered one of Nantuckets secrets - early fall, it is so gorgeous here then, water is still warm, everything still open, but no crowds. So glad you enjoyed all the amenities and special touches. Our staff really enjoy what they do so its great to get this kind of feedback. Many Thanks

Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed there with 2 other couples for Christmas Stroll.

It was a great time! We were lucky to have such great weather but the Hotel Residences

were awesome. We all had our own bathroom. It was new and beautiful. Very lucky to have stayed there. 5 star and I travel the world.

Oran Mar Restaurant is the best on the Island. Also go to the Cisco Brewery Tour. A great time.

Room Tip: In Town. Close to everything! The higher floors are quiet
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BostonBP

Christmas Stroll is such a fun time to visit Nantucket if you can get a group together. The feedback we are getting on the two and three bedrooms for adults travelling together has been really positive - glad you enjoyed it!