White Elephant
The Beachside(Nantucket)
$303
The Veranda House Hotel Collection(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
$409
Nantucket Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
$268
Union Street Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
$399
White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
$495
21 Broad Hotel(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
$379
  • Breakfast included
The Wauwinet(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
$420
Jared Coffin House(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
$220
$190
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Free Internet
All reviewsharbor view suitebedroom cottagechildren's beachthe main hotelbrandt pointcupcakesoff seasonhotel restaurantpre arrivalin townluxury hotelshort walkdinner reservationscalled the front deskbeautiful roomthe location is perfectjetties beach
Reviewed June 13, 2007

A few months back, my husband and I found a half-price deal for a weekend in Nantucket at the Harbor House. Since we've heard how lovely Nantucket is and had never been there, we booked immediately. Once we arrived off of the ferry, the problems with the Harbor House began. The shuttle was full and couldn't fit us. Not a big deal, we said, as the walk was quick (thankfully we didn't have much luggage).

The second issue arose when we checked in. Upon booking our room, I specifically requested to NOT be in the Woof Hotel (the property's pet friendly rooming area) and lo-and-behold, our room was located there. When I told the woman working at the front desk this was wrong, she looked at me and said "Are you sure?" Ummm...yes, I'm sure. She gave a halfhearted effort to find another room but said "I'm sorry, but this is the only room we have for you. I'm sure it will be fine." My husband and I begrudgingly took the room and kept our mouths shut. It wasn't nearly as bad as we thought it could be, but the fact of the matter is, if we ask for a room to NOT be somewhere, we should be accommodated.

Anyway, the third issue arose the next day. We had dinner reservations at Galley Beach, which is off near Jetties Beach. Since we didn't have a car, we weren't sure how far it would be to get there, so we asked the concierge if it was walk-able or if we would need a cab. His answer was "It's a 12 - 15 minute walk." No worries, we said, we can hoof it (we live in Boston sans car, so we're used to it :-). Anyway, that evening, we leave the hotel and walk towards the restaurant. When we get there, what pulls up but a SHUTTLE from our hotel, dropping off two guests for dinner. We were fuming, not because of the walk (it was a nice night) but because the concierge didn't even offer us the option to take a shuttle.

In short, we felt that because we didn't pay the full price, the hotel treated us like second class citizens.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend staying here. I mean, the room was nice and the general staff (valets, chambermaids, etc) were kind, but the management/front desk didn't seem to care about us given the fact we're bargain hunters.

Stayed: June 2007
9  Thank OutofRange331
Reviewed January 10, 2007

The pictures tell the story...you can't beat the views and the rooms (cottage style) are comfy and stylish. But the secret of the White Elephant is their concierge service. We used the service extensively for all of our needs on the islands (she even handled a two day trip to Martha's vineyard for us). A lovely Scotish lass (or Irish?..I forget which)...cute and very competent. You can easily walk to town from the grounds...and you get to enjoy the views and the open spaces of the outer harbor. There are a number of good restaurants in Nantucket, but even better than 21 Federal is Pearl's (and the restaurant downstairs from Pearl's which shares the same chef and kitchen).

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled as a couple
6  Thank byoung3rd
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Our chief complaint with this hotel is that the walls are paper thin. We stayed there this past September in Room 3-254 and could hear the man snoring loudly in the room next to ours. For $750 per night (plus tax), I should not have to listen to my neighbor snore -- or even his conversations with his significant other/wife the next morning. After we complained, the hotel offered to move us to the only room open that day -- a similar room down the hall. But there was no assurance that we wouldn't have the same problem. Rather than repacking all our stuff to move, we decided to stay put. My husband solved part of the problem by leaving a note under the neighbor's door asking him to sleep on his side or stomach. (it seemed to work). We were offered no compensation at all and my complaint letter to the manager remains unresponded to a month later.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank NancyBoston
Reviewed October 27, 2006

The White Elephant impressed me quite a bit - we really felt like royalty. We arrived on the very early ferry at 9am but the hotel graciously stored our luggage in a locked room and said they would call if our room was ready early (before 3 check-in). It was ready at 1 and they called me on my cell phone (we were in town having lunch). The room was lovely cottage style with luxurious linens and blankets and a balcony. Although it was not a "harbor view" we could easily see the harbor and greatly enjoyed morning coffee on the balcony. The only thing missing was an in room coffee maker - not sure why they don't have it but you can get complimentary morning coffee and pastries at the restaurant on site. I told them it was our anniversary and we were greeted with a bottle of chilled champagne in our room and delicious belgian chocolates in a beautiful box. The staff greeted us by name when asked a question at the front desk and were very courteous and helpful. The concierge called us ahead of time and asked if she could help us with activities, reservations etc. She got us a great table at Oran Mor and we enjoyed dining there. They have a great concierge service - use it during your stay (I wished we had used it more). The lawn chairs overlooking the harbor are wonderful. To top it off, we missed the complimentary shuttle back to the ferry (our fault) but they called the driver and he came back! They assured us we would make the ferry and made sure it happened. Off season they have special rates (ask) and are more reasonable than many bed and breakfasts. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Jasperini
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Excellent location within walking distance of Steamship Wharf, downtown, and the harbor. Accomodations wtih two queen beds comfortable, clean and spacious for our two night stay. Gracious main building lobby and landscaped grounds. Helpfpul staff, shuttle to the ferry, and continental breakfast in the main building in the morning. Concierge to assist with planning tours, meals, etc.
Lovely property, we'd happily return.

Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank Habagal
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Please note that some of these older reviews pertain to the Harbor House Village, which is not the White Elephant. For reasons beyond me, we cannot move them since the Harbor House no longer exists. Very odd. I apologize.

Bettina Landt